F430 Which headers for my F430 Spider? - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-21-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
Which headers for my F430 Spider?

Hello All,
I am considering aftermarket headers for my F430 Spider (2008 with original manifolds already replaced by newer Ferrari Factory manifolds) so that I will stop worrying about the dreaded Ferrari fault. I have decided to keep the stock Ferrari exhaust to save the expense, and because I like the look of the factory tips and I like the stock sound. My question is, which header brand should I go with? I have priced out Capristo's which are supposedly the best (?) but with the associated price to go with it, Fabspeed which are cheaper (where are they made?), and Kline Innovation which are cheaper still.
Does anyone have experience with either of these headers (brands) or perhaps others I should consider? Any tips?
Clyde
giuzippy1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Hello All,
I am considering aftermarket headers for my F430 Spider (2008 with original manifolds already replaced by newer Ferrari Factory manifolds) so that I will stop worrying about the dreaded Ferrari fault. I have decided to keep the stock Ferrari exhaust to save the expense, and because I like the look of the factory tips and I like the stock sound. My question is, which header brand should I go with? I have priced out Capristo's which are supposedly the best (?) but with the associated price to go with it, Fabspeed which are cheaper (where are they made?), and Kline Innovation which are cheaper still.
Does anyone have experience with either of these headers (brands) or perhaps others I should consider? Any tips?
Clyde
Capristo or Tubi would be my only choices. Keep in mind that when you remove the factory headers, which have pre-cats, you are likely going to have issues with CELs pertaining to cat efficiency errors.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #3 of 22 Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
I went with Tubi's on my Spider. Matched with the stock factory racing or "sport" exhaust, they are a bit louder. But I am used to them now and they do sound incredible. Had a CEL a couple / three times in the first month. Was going to have the ECUs reprogrammed, but haven't had a CEL in 6 months.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-24-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Tubi's? Someone told me that Tubi's doesn't make headers for the F430, I guess that's not true then. If they reprogram the ECU can they get rid of the CEL?
I am kind of leaning toward Capristo cause it's 4:2:1 supposedly offers better low-mid range performance than the others 4:1 (AP, Fabspeed, IPE), and I am assuming Tubi's are 4:1 as well anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 22 Old 06-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Clyde,
Sorry, I have a 360. Should have said so up front. Not sure if Tubi makes a 430 set.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,323
I never heard of Tubi making headers for the F430 but I may have missed that. I would recommend Capristo too for the headers because they are 4:2:1 just as the stock headers are. I have mine on since 7 years and they are really reliable. Only their spring loaded exhaust brackets are not so good in my opinion and I did remove them since they started to create issues (broken cat bracket and broken cylinder stud).
post #7 of 22 Old 06-25-2017, 04:14 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
I never heard of Tubi making headers for the F430 but I may have missed that. I would recommend Capristo too for the headers because they are 4:2:1 just as the stock headers are. I have mine on since 7 years and they are really reliable. Only their spring loaded exhaust brackets are not so good in my opinion and I did remove them since they started to create issues (broken cat bracket and broken cylinder stud).
Perhaps not for the 430, I apologize for the confusion. To restate my answer; my preference for headers is either Tubi or Capristo. It's not that Fabspeed doesn't make a decent product for the price, they do. The problem with Fabspeed is that their customer support leaves a lot to be desired, when problems arise. I have had two product-related issues with them and both have been incredibly frustrating to resolve.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #8 of 22 Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Quote:
I never heard of Tubi making headers for the F430 but I may have missed that.
It appears they do:

Tubi Style - Ferrari F430 Exhaust Manifolds (Inconel)
post #9 of 22 Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Interesting, and in Inconel too! The local shop I have been communicating with told me that they don't offer headers so perhaps they are not aware. These look wrapped in the same way as the factory manifolds so I am wondering if they include pre-cats as well? I'll have to find out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
giuzippy1 likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Owner

You were very right David, interesting to discover and good news that Tubi Style offers also a solution which seem to be very well made.
Attached Images

post #11 of 22 Old 06-30-2017, 05:11 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
StefVan - your comment about removing the Capristo brackets surprised me. Have you posted your experience? I'm on my second set of brackets. On the first set the adhesive that attaches the non-metallic washer to the back of the bracket let loose and the washer fell away. That left metal to metal contact which was causing a rattle. My impression is that isn't the first time this has happened to a Capristo bracket. Hope this isn't derailing this thread.

Rich

2006 F430 Spyder, 2011 Carrera S & 2006 BMW M3
Member FCA Florida, Suncoast PCA & BMWCCA
post #12 of 22 Old 06-30-2017, 06:16 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 434
Quote:
Hello All,
Clyde
Hello Clyde,
how are you?

I would like to be able to sell you one of my headers .... but at the moment i have only project design ready but not the piece..
I have also designed a sport muffler with tips and valves.

Do you have big hurry?

Best Regards

Fabio

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/mo...t-exhasut.html

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
post #13 of 22 Old 06-30-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
Hello Clyde,

how are you?

I would like to be able to sell you one of my headers .... but at the moment i have only project design ready but not the piece..

I have also designed a sport muffler with tips and valves.

Do you have big hurry?

Best Regards

Fabio

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/mo...t-exhasut.html

Dear Fabio,

I am not in any rush. In fact on research I found out that my manifolds were replaced with new Ferrari factory manifolds last year, so I expect them to be in good condition for a while without any worries.

On a sad note I want to tell you that I lost my father overnight on Monday. I actually thought of you because I remembered what your told me about how great you felt your loss after your father passed. I feel the same, and especially now that both parents are gone. Though I know that everyone must endure this, it doesn't make it any easier. I am now in mourning period so actually my car's exhaust is really not a concern of mine at this time. Looking forward to better events and times in the future.
Regards
Clyde

post #14 of 22 Old 06-30-2017, 08:43 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 434
Quote:
Dear Fabio,

I am not in any rush. In fact on research I found out that my manifolds were replaced with new Ferrari factory manifolds last year, so I expect them to be in good condition for a while without any worries.

On a sad note I want to tell you that I lost my father overnight on Monday. I actually thought of you because I remembered what your told me about how great you felt your loss after your father passed. I feel the same, and especially now that both parents are gone. Though I know that everyone must endure this, it doesn't make it any easier. I am now in mourning period so actually my car's exhaust is really not a concern of mine at this time. Looking forward to better events and times in the future.
Regards
Clyde

Clyde,
i'm very sorry for the loss of your father ....
I give you the my condolences, also if they help noything, as i provued on my skin.
I understand perfeclty how do you feel ....
Yes Clyde sometimes, also now after three years, i feel myself disoriented, i hade difficult to go to the chimitery, if i often pass with the car near the chimitery for go to work and from distance i see the picture of my father ....
Often i think to the last words that he told me, they was for my little Linda .....
During lasts three years i spent more more money for my exhaust projects, it was a way for use his shop and tools and a way to remain near his ....
The place where i feel more near him is his shop, where we worked together a lot ....
I not want give you my problems, you already have yours ....

I'm near you...

Kindly

Your friend Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
post #15 of 22 Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
Clyde,

i'm very sorry for the loss of your father ....

I give you the my condolences, also if they help noything, as i provued on my skin.

I understand perfeclty how do you feel ....

Yes Clyde sometimes, also now after three years, i feel myself disoriented, i hade difficult to go to the chimitery, if i often pass with the car near the chimitery for go to work and from distance i see the picture of my father ....

Often i think to the last words that he told me, they was for my little Linda .....

During lasts three years i spent more more money for my exhaust projects, it was a way for use his shop and tools and a way to remain near his ....

The place where i feel more near him is his shop, where we worked together a lot ....

I not want give you my problems, you already have yours ....

I'm near you...

Kindly

Your friend Fabio

Dear Fabio

Thank you for your kind condolences for my father. As with your case my father was someone whom I loved and respected so much, and who provided not only for myself and my siblings, but for our entire family. In fact the company I now earn my living at was originally started by my father. He will be sorely missed.

Clyde

post #16 of 22 Old 07-02-2017, 05:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBFL View Post
StefVan - your comment about removing the Capristo brackets surprised me. Have you posted your experience? I'm on my second set of brackets. On the first set the adhesive that attaches the non-metallic washer to the back of the bracket let loose and the washer fell away. That left metal to metal contact which was causing a rattle. My impression is that isn't the first time this has happened to a Capristo bracket. Hope this isn't derailing this thread.
Hi Rich, you're right, I didn't write about this. At the end, I found that these spring loaded brackets created a lot more vibrations on the exhaust pipes since they are secured on the cross-member and not the engine itself. At end, it created the opposite effect compared to the stock brackets, because these spring loaded brackets allow too much movements on the exhaust which caused the rupture of the catalyzer link bracket as well as one the cylinder exhaust studs.

I went partially back to the stock setup because I believe that the part which is supporting the muffler, which is spring loaded, does a good job. When hot, this horizontal spring moves towards the rear about 1cm which is perfect. Of course, I didn't install back the stock brackets on the gearbox which is the real issue as it holding too strongly the catalyzers. I used the car that way since a while, with only the muffler support parts, and didn't have any issues since. I'm still thinking of adding some solution to support also the catalyzers while allowing them to expand freely.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-02-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

So what's the consensus then, is it good to use the Capristo spring loaded brackets or to use the stock factory brackets?

post #18 of 22 Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I agree that the brackets add vibration on the exhaust pipes and at least on my car the vibration adds noise that wasn't there previously. Would you know if the OEM muffler support bracket is part number 212691?

Rich

2006 F430 Spyder, 2011 Carrera S & 2006 BMW M3
Member FCA Florida, Suncoast PCA & BMWCCA
post #19 of 22 Old 07-03-2017, 11:23 AM
Owner

Clyde, I let you judge whats best for you. All I'm saying is that the Capristo brackets didn't work out on my car, just sharing my experience.

Rich, part #212691 is part of the assembly, the bow itself is #195803, as shown in the picture below:

Muffler support bow alone without brackets installed on the gearbox
Name:  IMG_4421R.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  79.6 KB

This bow does a good job allowing the exhaust to expand towards the rear
Name:  IMG_4423R.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  75.5 KB

Impossible to get these brackets aligned correctly. The springs were never straight but forcing towards the outside. Did remove and mount back the entire exhaust many times trying to get them aligned, mission impossible. On track, exhaust pipes were hitting the bumper sometimes, no good.
Name:  IMG_4363R.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  61.6 KB

This resulted eventually in a broken bracket, it was time to totally remove the Capristo brackets and go back stock, at least partially. Since then, no issues anymore.
Name:  IMG_4420R.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  82.7 KB
post #20 of 22 Old 07-03-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Clyde, I let you judge whats best for you. All I'm saying is that the Capristo brackets didn't work out on my car, just sharing my experience.

Rich, part #212691 is part of the assembly, the bow itself is #195803, as shown in the picture below:

Muffler support bow alone without brackets installed on the gearbox

Attachment 222930

This bow does a good job allowing the exhaust to expand towards the rear

Attachment 222938

Impossible to get these brackets aligned correctly. The springs were never straight but forcing towards the outside. Did remove and mount back the entire exhaust many times trying to get them aligned, mission impossible. On track, exhaust pipes were hitting the bumper sometimes, no good.

Attachment 222946

This resulted eventually in a broken bracket, it was time to totally remove the Capristo brackets and go back stock, at least partially. Since then, no issues anymore.

Attachment 222954

Interesting, thanks for the benefit of your experience Stef, I'll guide myself accordingly.
Clyde

StefVan likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode