360 Engine cuts out during high speed cornering. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-17-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Engine cuts out during high speed cornering.

The car accelerates like crazy in the straight line. However, if I hard accelerate in a sweeping turn, the engine will cut out and the check engine light will come on for about one second, I'll let off the throttle, and the car will continue like nothing happened. When I check with an SD2, no codes appear.
Has anyone ever heard of anything like this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 404
The car? Honda? Ford? You out to provide more details.

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,
post #3 of 19 Old 12-25-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Before I was allowed to even start the post, the system made me choose either "360" or "430" as part of the title of the thread (??)

post #4 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 961
In that the SD-2 won't work with a 430, I'll presume that you have a 360. If the check engine light came on, a fault will be stored. There is a menu setting on the SD-2 to retrieve all codes, versus present. Check there...Also, take a look at TCU codes, if she's an F1 car.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #5 of 19 Old 01-03-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Attached Images

post #6 of 19 Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
[QUOTE=SoftwareDrone;706249]............... However, if I hard accelerate in a sweeping turn, the engine will cut out and the check engine light will come on for about one second, I'll let off the throttle, and the car will continue like nothing happened. ..................[/UOTE]

Sounds to me like your Inertia Switch is malfunctioning and could possibly be cutting off the fuel because it thinks the car is upside down.
Attached Images

post #7 of 19 Old 01-15-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!! I'm going to try to find a part number for this item.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-24-2017, 04:33 AM

I would bypass the switch and take it on one of those sweeping turns to see if it still cuts out BUT personally I cannot recommend that to you, since in the event you had an accident during the test the fuel will not be cut off as it should.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-07-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

The part was inexpensive so I purchased one (haven't had time to install it yet). However, your idea of shunting the circuit to test is a great idea!
Thank you.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-22-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Some updates:
I replaced the rollover valve and it did not help the situation.
I don't have to be cornering for this to happen. In fact, it happened three weeks ago when I was driving around 30MPH, slow, steady throttle. My mechanic said it could be a ground issue, so I let him go through the car and check and tighten every ground wire (they actually have a procedure for this, takes about 3 1/2 hours). It didn't do it for about 300 miles, but did it just today under hard acceleration. However, instead of cutting out for about a second like all the other times, it cut out for around five seconds.
I actually hope it gets worse so it will point itself to the issue and I can fix it.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
You might try replacing the start relay #86, or swapping it with the fog lights relay #83, just to eliminate the possibility that the start relay is going intermittent.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-24-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareDrone View Post
Some updates:
I replaced the rollover valve and it did not help the situation.
I don't have to be cornering for this to happen. In fact, it happened three weeks ago when I was driving around 30MPH, slow, steady throttle. .........
Sorry you bought an unnecessary part.
My suggestion was based on your thread title, "Engine cuts out during high speed cornering".
I would remove that from the heading now that the problem re-created itself during normal driving as well.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessank View Post
Sorry you bought an unnecessary part.
My suggestion was based on your thread title, "Engine cuts out during high speed cornering".
I would remove that from the heading now that the problem re-created itself during normal driving as well.
Thanks guys for the helpful replies! I am going to check out this start relay #86.
Can anyone tell me how to change the name of my thread title please?
post #14 of 19 Old 02-16-2018, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to change the name of my thread title please?

Guess not...

Anyway, I finally was in a situation where the engine cut out and I was close enough to a Ferrari repair shop that I was able to check the code with a factory Ferrari tester before I had to shut the engine off (i.e. "catch it in the act") and..... no code whatsoever. The mechanic who checked it (who knows no history of this issue) says it's a relay, possibly the main ignition relay. This has not been replaced on my car yet, and only costs a few dollars. Definitely the next part to be swapped.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-24-2018, 12:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
check ground by kill switch. I had a 360 that had same issue no codes nothing turned out to be a bad ground connection from kill switch to chassis.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-25-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Chhotu View Post
check ground by kill switch. I had a 360 that had same issue no codes nothing turned out to be a bad ground connection from kill switch to chassis.
Thanks my friend!! I did pay a few hundred dollars for a shop to completely go over the ground wires, but it's entirely possible that they could have misses this. I will definitely look into this.

Any additional help on this would be greatly appreciated (i.e. general area of the car, etc.).
post #17 of 19 Old 12-27-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

After TWO AND A HALF YEARS of trying to fix this problem, I am happy to report that it is now FIXED!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
post #18 of 19 Old 12-27-2018, 11:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,315
Happy to hear that after such a long time, you ended up fixing this problem, well done. What caused finally this problem?
post #19 of 19 Old 12-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 75
Quote:
After TWO AND A HALF YEARS of trying to fix this problem, I am happy to report that it is now FIXED!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
Would be nice to know what the problem was

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode