F430 Recall Issues - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-02-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Garage
Recall Issues

Hello,

I am new to Ferrari Life, so i would appreciate any help i can get. I recently got a 2007 F430 convertible with 9,900 Miles from a family friend. I have all the service paper work for the car. The car was serviced at Ferrari of Beverly Hill and Auto Galley in Canoga Park. Searching the service History, I can see they did a recall for the convertible hydraulic lines, however i think the issue may have come back. Today after driving the car for a bit (86 degree weather), I brought the car back and the rood refused to close or work. The open top alert was lit on my dash, but the top wouldn't move. I shut the car off to let it cool down for a bit to see if that will solve the issue. Just in case this is the Hydraulic lines again, would the dealer repair it again although they have already performed the recall?

I am fairly new to this car, although i have owned and worked on various European cars. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-02-2016, 06:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place.
We have a high percentage of savvy owners and some truly genius technicians.

My experience is:
1) the cars don't like to be stored with the tops down. If I leave mine down for any length of time, it will usually be a bit fussy during cycling.
2) if it sticks part way or indicates it's mid-cycle, try reversing direction until it seated and try it again.
3) every once in a while, the top just gets a bit fussy. Cycling usually helps.

Recommend you do a search here on the topic, you'll see a few posts that address the issue.

Good luck.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-02-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks much Killer. it was working ( a little fussy) and when i tried putting it back on when i parked it, the cover pulled back a little and them froze. it wont go up or back down. Tried the master switch so maybe it will reset it self and still nothing. I will keep looking on here, but is there away to source a good technician on this forum?

I have been lurking on here for weeks before i got the car. The posts are very useful.

Thanks

post #4 of 13 Old 07-03-2016, 02:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR-F430 View Post
I will keep looking on here, but is there away to source a good technician on this forum?
Where are you located?

post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Where are you located?
In Los Angeles/Beverly Hills area. I couldn't get the top to go back up and was didn't close it manually as i was afraid of damaging it further.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-04-2016, 02:26 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Sorry, I can't help you there, I grew up in Orange County and stationed in San Diego.
Can give you the name of a good guy in SD.
I'll let others chime in on someone in LA.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-05-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Killer. I'd take both OC and SD guys name as long as you think they are great mechanics.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-09-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So here is a brief update on my convertible top solution. Didn’t know if I should start a new threat, but if required I can start a new threat. I scoured the site and couldn’t find any threat with similar issues.

I took the car to Franco’s European (http://francoseuropean.com) as they had replaced the hydraulic shocks and the lines for the roof on June 16th. They were puzzled at the situation as nothing would work. They connected the car to SD2 and SD3 system and the entire system was functioning right except the top. There was a fault/error code that would tell the ECU for the convertible top to stop working as it is in a bad position. They tried resetting the car from the master switch and deleting the code with the device.

Once power was back on, everything was fine until we decide to press the roof button and then it would freeze again and beep showing the open top sign on the dash. They took out the back panel and checked all the switches, pump function, lines, connections, and everything else and everything was fine. No air in the lines and plenty of fluid. They fed power manually to the top and it functioned fine the roof closed. Reset the car and once we tried to operate the top, and it would get stock again.

The current diagnosis is faulty roof computer. The mechanics were puzzled as they have not seen a case so severe. They have seen this issue and be resetting the computer, it worked fine or they had to budge it a little.

At this point, I’m looking for feedback/advice on what else you think I should do/test before spending money on a new computer.

Also, I got check engine sign in the drive back home and got a P1536 Code. The car felt a little sluggish before the sign came on.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 404
Question

I am wondering if Ferrari of Beverly Hills previously serviced the car why you didn't take it back to them? They are already familiar with the car and maybe able to better address the issue. The chance 2 issues show up just as you get the car are unlikely and there might be an easy fixable by the people who last worked on it who may even be aware of 1 or both. I"m not suggesting your friend mislead you.

-thanks
--kim

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,

Last edited by efg2014; 07-10-2016 at 07:20 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-12-2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by efg2014 View Post
I am wondering if Ferrari of Beverly Hills previously serviced the car why you didn't take it back to them? They are already familiar with the car and maybe able to better address the issue. The chance 2 issues show up just as you get the car are unlikely and there might be an easy fixable by the people who last worked on it who may even be aware of 1 or both. I"m not suggesting your friend mislead you.

-thanks
--kim
Kim,

The Ferrari of Beverly Hills did the recall work on the roof back in 2009 or so. The owner took the car back to them since they work they did was not right and there was leaks, and they refused to cooperate. The car has had regular services done by Auto Gallery & Ferrari of Beverly Hills, however repairs have been done by Franco.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is an update on the roof situation

Apparently, the previous mechanic damaged the top assembly when he was doing the fuel pump and repairing the rood cylinders. The sensor wasn't reading right and couldn't tell the position of the roof. Moreover, the 2 lines that lift the roof back were weak and worn out. After the sensors was adjusted/reset and the roof lines repaired, the car is functioning right. The repairs were done at F&M Motorsports (F & M Motorsports | Ferrari Shop Los Angeles CA | Ferrari Service Santa Monica CA | Ferrari Repair Beverly Hills CA | Lamborghini Service Van Nuys CA | Maserati Service 90064 | Ferrari Shop 90401 | Ferrari Service 90209 | Ferrari Repair 91401) .

As for the P1536 Code, the solenoids on the right Cam is going out and needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps anyone else whose having the same issue.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-07-2016, 01:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Glad you got it all sorted.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 404
A relief now that the problem is fixed. Good work!

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode