360 Ferrari 360 Modena - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Ferrari 360 Modena

Hey everybody. New to this site. I came on here to ask you all about the 360 Modena. I was thinking about purchasing a 99 or 2000 model. What are the maintenance costs for these cars. I have never owned a Ferrari before. This is completely new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Disregarding tires, which need to be replaced about every 5-10 Kmi, Annual costs are about $1000 and every three years you need to change the cambelts, which will be about $3-4K. If you wear out the clutch, count on $4-7K.

If you have to worry about maintenance costs, do not buy one.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 03:06 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Annual costs are about $1000 and every three years you need to change the cambelts, which will be about $3-4K. If you wear out the clutch, count on $4-7K.

If you have to worry about maintenance costs, do not buy one.
Taz,
My experience is that annual costs are closer to $1500 - 2000. Given these cars now range in age from 10-16 years, I expect their costs to start increasing as things like rubber bits and electronics start to wear or fail. My estimate does not include items like convertible tops or F1 pumps, for which I have not added to the projected cost curve.

And it does not include a reserve for unexpected failures, such as, heaven forbid, a dreaded cam belt failure.

But I completely agree with your last comment. As a search here will amply document, ours is a pay-to-play sport, and not one for the faint of heart. If maintenance costs are a concern, these cars are definitely not within one's means.

Deaner, if you are seriously considering a 360, I strongly suggest you do a thorough search on the forum, there is a great deal of info posted on the model. Download and read the buyers guide, and talk to one or more of our sponsors.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Welcome.

If you are willing to do your own fluid changes, your annual cost will be less than other quoted (those are prices to have the work done by a good tech)

The 360 does not require engine removal for belt changes so that's a savings.

The interval for belt changes is a very debatable subject. Several years back, Ferrari released a bulletin that all belt driven cams have belt service every 3 years regardless of mileage. Most dealers will advise every 5 years. Many feel the bulliten was not for technical reasons but more of a service revenue gererator.

I subscribe to every 5/6 years. I can honestly say I don't know a single owner doing belts every 3 years.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
My experience is that annual costs are closer to $1500 - 2000.
Our average 360 annual service with the usual small issues is $1300-$1500, with the F1 cars being slightly more. Convertibles are slightly more time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
If maintenance costs are a concern, these cars are definitely not within one's means.
The 360 is a reasonably straightforward car to maintain. However, the financial surprise factor with these cars is real; many cars are under-serviced and it can be a real eye-opener when the car is (first) serviced by someone who is familiar with the brand.

Whatever you do, have a pre-purchase inspection done before you purchase the car.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
1500 to 2000 dollars a year doesn't seem as bad i thought it would be. I had a modded E55 Mercedes that i spent 10000 every year in maintenance and now have a corvette zo6 with no maintenance. I do want to be able to take the 360 on trips and use the car but i don't want to break down everywhere and have to find a qualified mechanic everywhere i go like i did the E55. Problem with the E55 was every week i drove it something went wrong. I just don't want to see the 360 be like that.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2016, 09:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Deaner, did i read right: $10K/ yr? you can easily afford a crappy 360 then. a well sorted 360 would be a walk in the park.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
All I do is change my oil and fluids every 12 months, ~$800 per year, not including insurance.

I'm now on s 6-7 year interval for the belt change since I drive the car every weekend.

I'd opt for the 1999 manual transmission -- no precats.

It's a very reliable car to own.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode