360 Removing A/C Vents from a 360 dash - Ferrari Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SoftwareDrone
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-07-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Removing A/C Vents from a 360 dash

I have searched and searched on this topic. Nothing here. People have posted in other forums, but their stories vary wildly. I have managed to pop the outer ring off but cannot remove the vent assembly. I don't buy the "it pulls right out" story as I have pulled and pulled on it (with tools) and it does not budge. I read about inserting thin screwdrivers into the "3 and 9 O'clock positions" but there is nothing at the 3 and 9 O'clock positions. There are slots at the 8:45 and 3:15 positions, but I can feel nothing back there, no tabs to release, anything.
Any help would be appreciated.
SoftwareDrone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-09-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 90
I received the definitive word last night from someone who had to remove all of the vents from a 360 dash.


If I see any interest in this thread I will keep updating.
SoftwareDrone is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-09-2015, 09:54 AM
Owner
 
netman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Ferrari Life Posts: 226
Garage
Use painters tape to protect the dash leather. Get yourself some plastic pry tools and reach behind the black plastic lip of the vent with the pry tools

See link below for more details
http://cdn.macarbon.com/install_guid...on_install.pdf
netman is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 11-09-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post
Use painters tape to protect the dash leather. Get yourself some plastic pry tools and reach behind the black plastic lip of the vent with the pry tools

See link below for more details
http://cdn.macarbon.com/install_guid...on_install.pdf


From that website:


"If the ring is loose or the air vent particularly tight, the ring itself may pop off. If that happens, you'll need to pull the rest of the vent body out."


however, they give NO CLUE as to how to actually do that.








SoftwareDrone is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Owner
 
dave rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orchard Park, New York
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Mike,

Cut a piece of thin rubber (say 1/16 thick rubber) and cut it so it will fit between the vent slats. Then use needle nose pliers to grab a hold of the vent slats (being protected by the rubber) and pull. That should get them free.
dave rocks is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-09-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
Mike,

Cut a piece of thin rubber (say 1/16 thick rubber) and cut it so it will fit between the vent slats. Then use needle nose pliers to grab a hold of the vent slats (being protected by the rubber) and pull. That should get them free.


I actually did one better. I inserted thin allen wrenches, bent side first, into the openings at the 8:45 and 3:15 positions, then turned as to create "hooks". Then I grabbed each of the two allen wrenches with normal sized pliers and pulled as hard as I could - nothing moved.
There are clips inside that no one is talking about that must be released.
SoftwareDrone is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-09-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Thank you guys for your input!! :-)
SoftwareDrone is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareDrone View Post
I received the definitive word last night from someone who had to remove all of the vents from a 360 dash.


If I see any interest in this thread I will keep updating.
I am interested. So, what is the definitive answer?
curtisc63 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-17-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 90
You need a special tool. Essentially a "hook". It must be at least six inches long, have a handle on one end, a thin, straight steel rod with a hook on the other end. You must carefully reach down into the vent approximately four inches and hook the very back end of the vent. Reach down near the outer edge of the inside at the 3 O'clock position (not near the center) because you are hooking on the outer edge of the vent at the rear. You need to pull straight at you with a considerable amount of force. Do this at the 9 O'clock position, then at the 3 O'clock position, alternatively. Ideally you would have two similar tools and can pull from both the 9 and 3 O'clock positions simultaneously.
The dealer used a tool that looks almost exactly like this:
Anglers' Choice T-Bar Hook Remover | Academy
He popped one of my vents out, handed me the tool and I popped another one of my vents out on my own, in about 10 seconds.
Removing the outer ring first gets you nothing because if you try to hook into the access holes behind it, you are essentially also hooking behind the steel ring behind the vent that is permanently attached to the dash. You'll pull the dash out before you pull the vent out if you try this. Removing the inner vent assembly does you no good either because you can easily get the tool past the vents and hook into the very back end of the vent without removing the inner assembly. Under no circumstances should you pull against the back of the inner vent slats themselves as they are way too delicate for the force needed to remove the vent. The "tabs" that others refer to are at the 2, 5, 7 and 10 O'clock positions and while they keep the vent from popping out on its own, do not hold the vent in such that they will break if you try to pull the vent out without depressing these tabs, so don't worry about these.
So, to review, you need to hook behind the very back of the vent (the vent is 4" deep so you need a tool at least 6" long) and pull straight out toward you.
graemet likes this.
SoftwareDrone is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-18-2015, 04:39 AM
Owner
 
dave rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orchard Park, New York
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
dave rocks is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareDrone View Post
You need a special tool. Essentially a "hook". It must be at least six inches long, have a handle on one end, a thin, straight steel rod with a hook on the other end. You must carefully reach down into the vent approximately four inches and hook the very back end of the vent. Reach down near the outer edge of the inside at the 3 O'clock position (not near the center) because you are hooking on the outer edge of the vent at the rear. You need to pull straight at you with a considerable amount of force. Do this at the 9 O'clock position, then at the 3 O'clock position, alternatively. Ideally you would have two similar tools and can pull from both the 9 and 3 O'clock positions simultaneously.
The dealer used a tool that looks almost exactly like this:
Anglers' Choice T-Bar Hook Remover | Academy
He popped one of my vents out, handed me the tool and I popped another one of my vents out on my own, in about 10 seconds.
Removing the outer ring first gets you nothing because if you try to hook into the access holes behind it, you are essentially also hooking behind the steel ring behind the vent that is permanently attached to the dash. You'll pull the dash out before you pull the vent out if you try this. Removing the inner vent assembly does you no good either because you can easily get the tool past the vents and hook into the very back end of the vent without removing the inner assembly. Under no circumstances should you pull against the back of the inner vent slats themselves as they are way too delicate for the force needed to remove the vent. The "tabs" that others refer to are at the 2, 5, 7 and 10 O'clock positions and while they keep the vent from popping out on its own, do not hold the vent in such that they will break if you try to pull the vent out without depressing these tabs, so don't worry about these.
So, to review, you need to hook behind the very back of the vent (the vent is 4" deep so you need a tool at least 6" long) and pull straight out toward you.
Thanks for the detailed information. If your vents are out of the car and available, could you take a couple pics of them so we can see what you described?

CC
curtisc63 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 11-26-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc63 View Post
Thanks for the detailed information. If your vents are out of the car and available, could you take a couple pics of them so we can see what you described?
CC

I'll do you one better my friend! :-)
I am making a video that details everything. Stay tuned...
SoftwareDrone is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareDrone View Post
I'll do you one better my friend! :-)
I am making a video that details everything. Stay tuned...


As promised. :-)


SoftwareDrone is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 11-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Loved it! Thanks!
curtisc63 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale