F430 Retrofit electric seats into car that came with manual seats - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 63
Retrofit electric seats into car that came with manual seats

Hi-

Has anyone ever installed electric Daytona seats into a car that came with manual seats?

I have a chance to sell my seats to someone, but he's having trouble finding a shop to install them. The dealership in his area won't do it, and one Ferrari shop in his area won't attempt it without having the seats and car at the shop...which my prospective buyer isn't interested in doing unless he knows it can be done. They aren't even assuring him it CAN be done.

Why is he having trouble finding someone to do it? Am I missing something? First of all, I would've expected the pigtail from the harness to the seat would already be there....and if not, why can't you just tap into the proper fuse block that can supply sufficient power to the seats?

The buyer is a good guy, but isn't a DIY'er, and wouldn't be able to remove the seat to check for the pigtail. I'm just trying to help him...and me(!!) out. He's located in Southern NJ.

Thanks! Any advice is welcomed :-)

-George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
As we discussed, this really shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. One factor may be simply liability exposure, in the rare event there is a problem after the fact with the electric system. Unreasonable consumer expectations, coupled with rising Garage Keepers insurance premiums have resulted in many shops that won't install non-OEM parts, do PPIs anymore or install customer supplied parts.

Then again, it may just be fear of the unknown...

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**

Last edited by David @ FluentInFerrari; 08-28-2015 at 10:58 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Hi David-

Yeah, I told him it shouldn't be a problem. Hell, if it were my car, I'd probably give it a go....or give it to my favorite mechanic :-) It's too bad he's 350 miles away from you! It must be liability issues scaring the shops away from doing the job.

A friend of mine is checking his manual seat car to see if the pigtails are just floating around under the seats.

Very disappointing....I could definitely use the $$$....

post #4 of 7 Old 08-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Owner
Sponsor

No power pigtails in the manual seat-equipped cars. I've got one here and verified my finding with the dealer this afternoon. As discussed and hopefully common knowledge, nothing is every easy with these cars.

It's all "part of the charm..."

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

post #5 of 7 Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

All part of the charm, huh? Hahaha

Just got an email from a friend of mine with a manual seat car...he said the same thing. Bummer. I'll pass the info on to the guy who's interested in my seats. I would've thought that there would be a common wiring harness among these cars, and if something wasn't powered, the connectors would just lay there.

I'm sorry I dragged you into this, David, but I most certainly appreciate the help!!! Thanks for taking the time! :-)
post #6 of 7 Old 08-29-2015, 05:54 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George in NH View Post
I would've thought that there would be a common wiring harness among these cars, and if something wasn't powered, the connectors would just lay there.
Agree. That would be the logical way to do it. But, Ferrari does things a bit differently than everyone else...

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

post #7 of 7 Old 08-29-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

It's too bad they're not logical like the Porsche, BMW's, and Audi's I've owned over the years. All my cars have been German, and I guess I've grown accustomed to their impeccable engineering.

Ummm, I'd better shut up before I start a war! Don't hate on me everyone, even though I'm Italian, this is my first Italian car, and I'm trying to get used to their idiosyncrasies!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode