F430 F430 daily driver updates? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
F430 daily driver updates?

Hi everyone,

F430s have now come down in price quite nicely ... a good one can cost less than a brand new base model 911 carrera, or even a v10 R8, which we all know make great daily drivers. Except that neither of them excite me nearly as much as a Ferrari. For about the same money then, the F430 potentially presents itself as a great alternative to a 911 purchase for such use. Factory warranty can also be applied yearly until 12 years old, of course.

There are some older threads on the use of F430s as daily drivers, however most of these are somewhat old.

The general consensus seemed to be mechanically fine to drive every day, practicality the main issue. The only issue mechanically seemed to be clutch life when using daily with stop-start traffic, reversing to park, etc.

Is there anyone out there with more recent comments to make about using an F430 as a daily driver, now that the F430s are getting a bit older? Especially interested in how hard it is on the engine to use it for relatively short trips (eg 10-20 minutes to work and same back home again each day), reliability and servicing demands for such use, and clutch life.

I've read the posts on conditions which wear down the clutch, but can anyone give us all an idea of their experience with clutch life coupled with some sort of description of how much start/stop/hills/etc they do, such as time spent typically per daily trip spent in traffic, etc?

Difficult questions to answer I know, but some posts on experience from frequent F430 drivers might help paint a general picture of how the F430 actually stacks up as a daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
A clutch normally lasts about 20K - 25K in miles. I think you don't see many use a 430 (or 360) as a DD due to the depreciation and miles put on the car. I have had my 360 for about two years. Between a clutch at 26K in miles ($5K to replace), belts $1.5K, and the leather dash forming bubbles due to the adhesive drying out ($4K) it is kind of an expensive DD. I figure it has cost me about $1 per mile based on the depreciation and drop in value due to the mileage.

The car is built well and can easily last into the "very high mileage" category, it is just the drop in the car's value that prevent most from driving it every day.

For me, it is not a very comfortable car and I try to avoid rock chips, windshield chips, and door dings. With that, I still drive my 360 about 8K miles per year. Whatever I get for it at trade in or sale is just what I will end up with.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks jetskier, you're right about depreciation in value, although it will do so even if undriven, just to a lesser degree. Most 911s and R8s seem to have a lot higher mileage than Ferraris with more people using them as daily drivers, I wonder if they depreciate as much for mileage, or perhaps Ferrari buyers are more fussed about this?

20-25000 miles sounds pretty reasonable, are you often making your way through traffic or is that almost all done on highways?

post #4 of 9 Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
If you could afford it, then do it/buy it -- make it as your daily driver, if you wish.
Who cares about depreciation for the added miles. You have to pay to play anyways, like all things in life.

Making a car a garage queen is rather silly, in my book...that's like having a sexy hot girlfriend or wife...and never or hardly having sex with her.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-03-2015, 05:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
My drive is actually pretty good. First half is country roads that I can push the car a bit. The second part is highway, which is pretty boring as Highway Patrol is normally running radar and would not be a good place to push the speed limit. Once at work, it is city driving (stop and go with traffic lights). This is where the car is not that much fun as far as driving. Almost a chore as the car (and me) just do not like it.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjetskier View Post
My drive is actually pretty good. First half is country roads that I can push the car a bit. The second part is highway, which is pretty boring as Highway Patrol is normally running radar and would not be a good place to push the speed limit. Once at work, it is city driving (stop and go with traffic lights). This is where the car is not that much fun as far as driving. Almost a chore as the car (and me) just do not like it.
thanks jetskier. can you expand on what the car doesn't like about it? is it just that you're trying to drive it in a way that would preserve the clutch, or the car just clunks its way through gears, etc? Some have said that driving in the city is fine and the car seems quite happy, I wonder if they have the car in auto and low traction (snow/wet) settings to get that experience of city driving and if so, what sort of clutch wear they get between services?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-lugar View Post
If you could afford it, then do it/buy it -- make it as your daily driver, if you wish.
Who cares about depreciation for the added miles. You have to pay to play anyways, like all things in life.

Making a car a garage queen is rather silly, in my book...that's like having a sexy hot girlfriend or wife...and never or hardly having sex with her.
I agree, Lawrence! This is why those looking for something exciting as a daily driver would generally go for a 911, R8, etc and put proper miles on it. With good F430s now going for around the same price, if you can put up with older creature comforts like blue tooth, iPod connections, sat nav, etc I'm thinking the F430 would be a great alternative ... as long as driving it in the same way doesn't kill the car or cost a bomb just on clutches.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-04-2015, 02:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
My commute is about ten miles, the first half along a great twisty road, the second half in the city. We drive the twisty road on the weekends as it makes a perfect drive. The city portion, with potholes that could swallow the Spider, are enough to take the fun out of the trip. Short trips around the neighborhood are often more work than they're worth. And stop and go traffic is nerve-racking in the Spider (three pedal)m regardless of what it does to the clutch. So I don't use the Spider as a daily driver.

Even more, as Onno has stated, it would take the specialness out of it.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

Last edited by Killer58; 08-04-2015 at 01:11 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
My commute is about ten miles, the first half along a great twisty road, the second half in the city. We drive the twisty road on the weekends as it makes a perfect drive. The city portion, with potholes that could swallow the Spider, are enough to take the fun out of the trip. Short trips around the neighborhood are often more work than they're worth. And stop and go traffic is nerve-racking in the Spider (three pedal)m regardless of what it does to the clutch. So I don't use the Spider as a daily driver.

Even more, as Onno has stated, it would take the specialness of of it.
Thanks, Killer58. Perhaps not quite as DD friendly as a 911 or R8 then.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode