F430 Help with 2006 F430 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-22-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Help with 2006 F430

Hello
I am looking at a couple F430

My first choice is red with tan Daytonas, Carbon Rear shield and no carbon ceramic option. It has 14k miles on it, 2 owner car and I was offered it for 117,500 (asking 122k) Do you guys think this is a good deal? It is at an authorized Ferrari dealer so they said it will be fully serviced before delivery. The two things that worry me is that clutch life is 48% left (52% wear) and the tires are a 2008 build date. They do not have the complete service records, just what was most recently done which was motor mount replacement and valve cover resealed.

edit: just noticed one other thing, in the SD3 it says that there were 2 "engagement with wrong shifts a6h". What does that mean?

What do you guys think? Fair price? I intend to agree on a price then get a PPI

So far that is the only one I've negotiated pricing with. My two other choices are:

a black one with 19,000 miles and 4 owners at a private dealership (asking 119K). Nice color combo black/black daytonas with red piping. Worried about multiple owners, but from pictures car looks in good shape. No complete service records either, only records from last owner.

a silverstone one with 28k miles, 2 owner. Authorized Dealer. I like this one because it has complete service records from both owners, looks in good shape, has a new clutch and I wont take a huge hit from driving it alot. (I intend to use the car). No daytona seats. asking 104k

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks!

Thank you!

Last edited by natman316; 07-23-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Based solely on the info in your post, as long as it passes a PPI I'd opt for the Grigio car and drive the snot out of it.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,324
What's the total number of shifts per gear reported by the SD3? 2 misengagements isn't something I would worry about. Good luck in your search

post #4 of 13 Old 07-22-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Based solely on the info in your post, as long as it passes a PPI I'd opt for the Grigio car and drive the snot out of it.
Thats what I am starting to lean towards now. Only thing is this car is on the otherside of the country and the dealer doesnt seem to be very enthusiastic trying to sell to me. I'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
What's the total number of shifts per gear reported by the SD3? 2 misengagements isn't something I would worry about. Good luck in your search
The only other number on there (other than clutch wear at 52%) is measurement counter at 238. is that the number you were referring to?

Is it normal to wear the clutch more than half at 14k miles? I've seen numbers all over the place
post #5 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 01:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman316 View Post
Only thing is this car is on the otherside of the country...:
Sounds like a ready-made justification for your first road trip!

post #6 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 404
I like the 1st one. It is from an authorized dealer and the price is very fair. Cluch wear is resonable.When I was looking for my F430, i found quickly that I had to search nationally to get a car I really liked. This also meant being willing to fly across the continent,which I did, and have the car shipped. You will not regret your decision to buy.

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Sounds like a ready-made justification for your first road trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efg2014 View Post
I like the 1st one. It is from an authorized dealer and the price is very fair. Cluch wear is resonable.When I was looking for my F430, i found quickly that I had to search nationally to get a car I really liked. This also meant being willing to fly across the continent,which I did, and have the car shipped. You will not regret your decision to buy.
Thats what I've been finding too. Much harder when you limit the search area to find the right one. I saw your thread by the way, the car looks great! I forgot to mention that the 3rd one is also at an authorized dealer.

For both cars (#1 and #3), I have the option to get the Ferrari power warranty. Is that worth it?
post #8 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 09:54 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Based on the information above and if you neutral on the color, I would purchase the one for $104K. Here is why 1) it has a new clutch which is at least $5K, 2) you will have future problems like the dash shrinking and having to be replaced (about $5K-$10K) no matter which car you chose above 3) the depreciation is about $1 per mile. If you plan on actually putting miles on the car the Silverstone has already taken a major hit on price due to the miles. I think you will figure out that the car will "bottom out in price" no matter how many miles.

Remember: Very low miles can be a bad thing. If there is a previous owner that purchased the car and "just let it sit" all sorts of problems occur. Dried out seals and bearings are not a good thing. Also, don't trust what the SD3 computer states about the clutch wear. This reading can easily be monkeyed with (ask me how I know). You can expect to replace the clutch somewhere between 14K to 24K in miles depending on how the car was treated.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjetskier View Post
Based on the information above and if you neutral on the color, I would purchase the one for $104K. Here is why 1) it has a new clutch which is at least $5K, 2) you will have future problems like the dash shrinking and having to be replaced (about $5K-$10K) no matter which car you chose above 3) the depreciation is about $1 per mile. If you plan on actually putting miles on the car the Silverstone has already taken a major hit on price due to the miles. I think you will figure out that the car will "bottom out in price" no matter how many miles.

Remember: Very low miles can be a bad thing. If there is a previous owner that purchased the car and "just let it sit" all sorts of problems occur. Dried out seals and bearings are not a good thing. Also, don't trust what the SD3 computer states about the clutch wear. This reading can easily be monkeyed with (ask me how I know). You can expect to replace the clutch somewhere between 14K to 24K in miles depending on how the car was treated.
Thats what I am thinking too. While 28k miles seem high for a Ferrari, its actually only 3k miles a year for a 9 year old car. That means it has been somewhat used. I plan to drive the car maybe 5-7k miles a year. I've never heard of the dash shrinking issue?!

The only thing is I'm not sure if the car will have had its 30k mile service done yet. That is the major one, correct? I am having the dealer check it and get back to me. How much do these 30k services usually run?

black, red and silverstone are neutral for me. The color I reaally like is the TDF blue but those are rare, and I am afraid it might be hard to resell when the time comes.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 12:14 PM

I love my 360, but the leather and interior sucks. Yes, the leather in both the 360 and 430 will dry out and you will get bubble (loose leather) patches on your dash. It will most likely start at the passenger air bag above the glove compartment and get worse from there.

What actually happens is your dash is made up of a fiberglass frame, then a layer of foam then your leather. Over time, the foam dries out and the glue breaks down and no longer will hold the leather. The leather will then "bubble". It does not matter how much leather conditioner you use, as it is the foam that breaks down. It is not a matter of "if" but more "when" will it happen. It just started to happen on my 2003 360. This is a very common problem that one should anticipate happening and spending about $5K to fix.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-24-2015, 08:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 404
Chris wouldn't taking care of the leather and not have the car sit out in the sun for hours reduce the chances of the problems you are mentioning. My F430 has leather which looks and smells like it just left the factory. Then again I just had the car serviced and detailed a month back.

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,
post #12 of 13 Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Kim, it is the foam that breaks down and not the leather. Here is why I know the foam is the problem and not the leather. The foam is a cheap polyurethane foam that breaks down over time. Once the foam breaks down, then there is nothing to hold the leather in place. This problem normally starts at the passenger side airbag which is not directly in the sun. The foam lets loose and the leather will kind of "sag". The air bag is an easy fix, but the dash is another story.

There is a problem with not taking care of the dash leather and that is the front windshield vent. If the leather dries up (on the dash) the leather shrinks. When this happens, it pulls on the cheap plastic windshield vent that is held in place with plastic clips. The leather will pull hard enough to break the plastic clips then the plastic vent pops up and twists. Once again, to fix the vent you will need to remove the dash.

Both the leather bubbling up and the windshield vents popping up are a common problem with 360 and 430s.

When you take care of your leather, I would highly recommend Leatherique. Lord only knows what it is made of, but it replaces the natural oils that is contained in leather. It is a process that normally takes at least overnight to do and is recommended twice a year. It does a very good job as a cleaner (Rejuvenator) and also helps on preserving the leather (Prestine Clean).
post #13 of 13 Old 07-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member

While I agree with Chris that dash shrinkage may be inevitable, it may be a long time to happen. My Spider, which is kept covered and indoors, looks like it is brand new. And it most certainly doesn't "suck." The first time I took it to my current maechanic, he said it looked so good he was convinced it had to have been recovered (it has not).

I have a Jaguar that I restored 25 years ago and the leather still looks showroom new.

I firmly believe keeping it out of the hot sun and treatment as Chris states are key.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode