360 CEL from sport cats - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 86
CEL from sport cats

my 20O2 spider is equiped with the Fabspeed 200 cells and the CELhas been on since. Despite having an O2 extenders installed CEL remained. Have ordered some mini cat to attach with the extender but not sure whether it will help. Anyone tried this route?

My other question is will the engine output reduce with the CEL? BTW what is the different between flashing and stationary CEL??

If the above dont work what other option I can have to replace my sportscats, any brands which can garantee not to trigger CEL? I am having trouble locating some decent quality stock cats.....

Appreciate any help thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Flashing CEL indicates an ignition misfire. Steady CEL indicates any other number of fault possibilities. Until you know what fault code(s) are present, we can't offer much advice. Some faults will cut engine power by shutting down one bank. Others will cause a command for excessive fuel to protect the engine for lean misfiring. resulting in power loss.

If the faults are cat efficiency related as result of the sport cats, the resolve is either cats cores with a higher cell count or a custom ECU tune from a very knowledgeable tuner.

post #3 of 7 Old 05-17-2015, 03:09 AM
Tio
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 230
There has been extended research done on this topic.

Had the same problem on my F430 spider.

Cutting the long story short, the cats do not produce enough back pressure so the lambda sensors pick a minimum reading and therefore you get a P0420 or a P0430 ECU code.

Solution, is either you go back to stock cats, or reprogram your ECU so the lambda sensors are disabled.

Yes you should be having a safety mode that reduces power slightly because the ECU thinks that the cats have failed.

And to save you time and money, these little gimmicks like mini cats and extenders are totally useless.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2015, 06:58 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
It is not clear from your post if the car (in your possession) had a CEL with the original OE cats. Regardless, there are plenty of folks running around with sport cats without the issue you describe. What are your HC and CO levels, as measured at the sampling ports.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**

Last edited by David @ FluentInFerrari; 05-17-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post

Cutting the long story short, the cats do not produce enough back pressure so the lambda sensors pick a minimum reading and therefore you get a P0420 or a P0430 ECU code.
Fwiw, cat efficiency and exhaust pack pressure are not related. Quality cores properly sized will post little to no restriction and pass obd2 readiness monitors.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 153
With OBD II a flashing CEL indicates a major problem which needs to be correct immediately to avoid damage to the emissions system.

If you are going to tell someone how to remove a bolt you should at least know which way to turn the wrench.
85 308 GTB QV red/tan (original owner)
95 F355 Spider SwatersBlu/tan
post #7 of 7 Old 05-29-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 86
Thank you for all the info. Believe it or not my "master mechanic" when instructing his junior mech to install the O2 extender, REALISING that I already have a set of extender(I didn't know the previous owner already had a set in place how silly am I) installed at the downstream O2 sensors location. The Junior mech then decided to install them at the UPSTREAM location...........rest of the story I am sure you would have guess and LOL , fuel mixture got mess up etc and caused the CEL to flash due to misfiring etc. Anyhow after correcting the problem by uninstalling the extenders the flashing stopped and engine running normally. In fact the CEL hasn't return just yet.
Guess when the CEL return I will give that minicat a try before I replace the sportcats with something else.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode