360 Battery Fitment Issue - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 145
Battery Fitment Issue

Years ago, I replaced the OEM Fiamm battery with an Interstate equivalent. Now it's time once again to replace the battery. Trouble is, I cannot find a replacement that will fit. All of the documentation I have read so far indicates that the "Group Size" is group 34. However, all group 34 batteries are at least 7" tall. The Interstate battery currently in my car is 6" tall in the front (where the hold down bracket is placed) just like the Fiamm. Of course, my current battery is no longer made, and the replacement batteries are all group 34.
All you folks out there with Group 34 batteries in your car, how do you get them to work? I wouldn't even be able to slide a 7" battery underneath the support bracket, let alone get the hold down strap to work (???).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Interstate MTP-91/H6 is 6.88" tall atop the terminals. Here is the FIAMM battery recommendations and sizes.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-08-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you for the info.
If you look at a picture of the Fiamm battery along with the dimensions, you will see that the front edge of the battery is about one inch shorter than the rest of the battery. So, although the maximum height of the battery is almost 7" (like every other group 34 battery), the front edge is around 6" tall (which is why it fits).

post #4 of 10 Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaAudio View Post
Years ago, I replaced the OEM Fiamm battery with an Interstate equivalent. Now it's time once again to replace the battery. Trouble is, I cannot find a replacement that will fit. All of the documentation I have read so far indicates that the "Group Size" is group 34. However, all group 34 batteries are at least 7" tall. The Interstate battery currently in my car is 6" tall in the front (where the hold down bracket is placed) just like the Fiamm. Of course, my current battery is no longer made, and the replacement batteries are all group 34.
All you folks out there with Group 34 batteries in your car, how do you get them to work? I wouldn't even be able to slide a 7" battery underneath the support bracket, let alone get the hold down strap to work (???).
Give Odyssey battery some consideration. Smaller and lighter. Fitted to my 360 and given great service. Try it, you'll like it!
post #5 of 10 Old 05-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
The Odysseys are actually heavier than traditional lead acid battery if you get their recommended AGM model for Ferraris. The 925 some owners fit is actually undersized for the application.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-08-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

With all the folks asserting that a 190mm tall battery will fit without modifications, I went ahead and purchased an Optima red top 34R.
IT DOES NOT FIT.
I will need to either:
a) Cut down the tie down posts, screw in standoffs and studs to increase the length by one inch.
b) Find longer tie down posts.

Additionally, you cannot purchase yellow top (deep cycle) Optima batteries with reverse posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-08-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Okay, so I purchased longer rods, test fit them, marked and shorted them to the exact size, and the battery barely fits. But...

Now my radiator fans won't kick on when needed. The temperature almost got into the orange zone, scared the crap out of me. Does anyone know off hand where those fuses are?
Thanks
post #8 of 10 Old 05-08-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I searched and searched through the 360 pdf manuals and found the 40A maxi fuse for the fans. The fuse is okay (checked it with a meter). I looked in the overflow coolant tank and found a significant amount of oil in the coolant. This will be the second time now that the fantastically engineered (yeah right) intercooler has failed on me. So this trip to the shop will entail the gearbox removal, rebuild and reinstall, exhaust manifolds replacement and intercooler replacement. Hopefully the fans will work after this.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-11-2015, 07:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
OUCH!!! Sure wish it was just a fuse.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode