F430 Cracked Headers - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-12-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Cracked Headers

Dealer says the headers are cracked on my 2006 F430 with 15,000 miles. As best I can determine, they've not been replaced previously. They quoted me $7,600 for replacement and $2,200 plus tax and shop supplies for a 5,000 mile service which includes engine oil and filter, brake flush, coolant flush, gearbox oil change, air filters and pollen filters along w/ a road test, diagnostic scan and scheduled checks including pickup and delivery. All of the fluids were changed a year (5,000 miles) ago. As a FCA member they'll give me a 10% discount. Capristo brackets were installed last year also.

I checked Ricambi and new headers are just under $4,100 ex shipping and gaskets are about $70. I'm not interested in installing Fabspeed headers, but I might consider Capristo headers although they are more expensive. However, I don't want to significantly increase the exhaust sound.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich

2006 F430 Spyder, 2011 Carrera S & 2006 BMW M3
Member FCA Florida, Suncoast PCA & BMWCCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-12-2015, 08:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBFL View Post
Dealer says the headers are cracked on my 2006 F430 with 15,000 miles. As best I can determine, they've not been replaced previously. They quoted me $7,600 for replacement and $2,200 plus tax and shop supplies for a 5,000 mile service which includes engine oil and filter, brake flush, coolant flush, gearbox oil change, air filters and pollen filters along w/ a road test, diagnostic scan and scheduled checks including pickup and delivery. All of the fluids were changed a year (5,000 miles) ago. As a FCA member they'll give me a 10% discount. Capristo brackets were installed last year also.

I checked Ricambi and new headers are just under $4,100 ex shipping and gaskets are about $70. I'm not interested in installing Fabspeed headers, but I might consider Capristo headers although they are more expensive. However, I don't want to significantly increase the exhaust sound.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If you only want OEM why are you asking us ??? Capristo headers are the best OEM 430 MK2 re crap, its your bed
post #3 of 15 Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

I didn't mean to suggest that I only want OEM headers. My concern with Capristo headers is whether or not there is a significant increase in sound. Many of the postings I've read talk about better sound but I wasn't certain if that meant louder or tone. I live in a gated community,live towards the back and comments have already been made about the aftermarket exhaust on my Porsche. I'm on the Board of my HOA so I'm in a slightly delicate position. I was also wondering if I'm getting hosed more than normal on the dealer prices.

Rich

post #4 of 15 Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,322
Hi Rich,
Sorry to hear you got troubles with your exhaust headers. The Capristo headers will definitely make your car sound much louder especially at cold start-up. This may be an issue if you start your car in your neighborhood. In your situation, you may consider the stock headers but even the MK2 headers are not bullet proof though.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-13-2015, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Stef - thank you for your response which is informative as always. I'm not too worried about cold start. I live in FL so the engine doesn't get very cold. I can start it in my garage and wait the short amount of time it takes for it to go back to normal idle. For the 2 or so mile trip through the community I can use a higher gear than I normally would. As the car is still warming up, that keeps the revs down until the engine oil reaches normal operating temperature which is a good thing.

Can I ask you about the amount of cabin noise at say 70 MPH? Is it significantly louder or just a different tone? I don't want it so loud that my wife doesn't want to ride in it. My Porsche, which is slightly louder than the Ferrari, is at the limit of what she'll accept.

Being I live in FL, I may ship the car to Capristo US and let them install the headers. I'm excited about the possibility of improving its already stunning performance.

Rich

post #6 of 15 Old 04-13-2015, 05:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,322
You're very welcome Rich. With the exhaust valves closed at cruise speed, the car will be slightly louder than stock. The big difference will be heard when the valves are opening at load, when you accelerate. Then, your car will be significally louder than stock. But you may get addicted to this sound as I do Regarding, cold start, I meant when the engine is not at operation temperature . In this case, the engine runs much richer to get the cats faster at their operation temperature. This last only for a couple of minutes depending on the ambient temperature.

With these Capristo headers, you'll get most of all a nice increase of torque available at much lower revs than stock
post #7 of 15 Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Owner

which exhaust do you have on the Porsche, standard cats ?
post #8 of 15 Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Richard - the exhaust is made by M&M Germany and distributed in North America by FVD Brombacher. I'm running OEM cats.

Rich

post #9 of 15 Old 04-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Rich- There is an 8 year emissions warranty on those headers, but unfortunately you missed it by a year.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I just wanted to chime in off topic. Rich I have nearly an identical garage to yours. 2005 F430 & 2010 C2S. Just thought it was funny. Only off by one year. Sorry about your headers.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Owner

I think the key here is that you will be driving the 430 in the compound under 3.5K rpm with the exhaust valves closed so you won't have any issues with Capristo headers. The Porsche doesn't have exhaust valves and so its a much more obvious aftermarket exhaust
post #12 of 15 Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Go with the Capristo Headers. You will feel a tremendous increase in midrange torque. Had them installed on my 2009 Scuderia, one of the best upgrades you can do. The stock manifolds are garbage.

A friend of mine went cheap and bought the Fabspeed headers. Was a huge nightmare, they didn't fit correctly, had to be shipped back 3 times.

Go with the Capristo Headers, you will not be disappointed.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #13 of 15 Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Just a bit of information confirming what has already been said...

I have a 430 and recently replaced my Mk1 manifolds (not blown, yet) with Capristo headers and the Twin Sound Exhaust. I previously had a Tubi exhaust with the stock manifolds, which in my opinion, was noticeably louder than the Capristo header & Twin Sound combo currently on the car, at cold start. As noted by others, after a minute or two, the valves close and the car sound is quite manageable.

Sound quality wise, I definitely prefer the Capristo system over the Tubi. The sound is a pleasure to listen to and there is no droning sound that was present in 3rd/4th gear cruising speed. But when I accelerate harder, there's no mistake, it is loud!....

By the way, I live in British Columbia, Canada so there is a considerable temperature difference........

Cheers
FN
post #14 of 15 Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBFL View Post
I didn't mean to suggest that I only want OEM headers. My concern with Capristo headers is whether or not there is a significant increase in sound. Many of the postings I've read talk about better sound but I wasn't certain if that meant louder or tone. I live in a gated community,live towards the back and comments have already been made about the aftermarket exhaust on my Porsche. I'm on the Board of my HOA so I'm in a slightly delicate position. I was also wondering if I'm getting hosed more than normal on the dealer prices.
The uptick in volume between oem vs aftermarket headers is pretty insignificant, IF you are retaining oem cats + oem exhaust. If anything, the pitch of the car would change because the capristo header layout is a 4-2-1 i.e. you'll get a deeper growl on wot / revs.

The oem headers, imho, are pieces of crap. I would go w aftermarket, and if you're particular like I am, couple it w capristo heat blankets to keep the heat out and behind the car which keeps ambient engine bay temps low and nice, which in turn preserves the longevity of any carbon panelling you may have.

If you're an F1 purist and want the 4-1 header layout like the F1 cars, then Fabspeed & IPE are your only options.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 156
saw this and wanted to say my 355 headers failed and its always been a when and not if.... Does anyone but me get pissed because after all these years Ferrari cant build a set of headers that last 50k?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode