360 Shifting issue - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 145
Shifting issue

I started having troubles shifting into second gear (6-speed). This happened rather quickly, to the point where I actually thought I had ruptured the intercooler. I drained the gear oil, looked dirty but no moisture, replaced with fresh. Took the car for a test drive and second gear was worse, like it didn't have a synchro. I thought surely the shifter bushing had cracked, so I removed and inspected it and it is perfect. What now??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-31-2015, 11:33 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Shifting problem

Sure sounds like same problem I had with my 360 manual. Result was new clutch. I certainly hope your solution is not that serious but clutch could be an issue. Best to you.
Don
post #3 of 16 Old 03-31-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anconbrat View Post
Sure sounds like same problem I had with my 360 manual. Result was new clutch. I certainly hope your solution is not that serious but clutch could be an issue. Best to you.
Don

Thank you for your reply.
Clutch is brand new and perfect.
It has to be the second gear synchro. Next week I will have the transmission overhauled along with new exhaust manifolds, new coils and a new oil pressure sending unit.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I picked up a set of exhaust manifolds off of a 2002 360 Coupe with 26K miles for $900 each. The owner smashed the front passenger side of the car and it ended up at the auto wrecker. The exhaust manifolds are being removed today and shipped to my mechanic.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

A week goes by and no exhaust manifolds. So I called the auto wrecker and, after two hours, they realized that the shop they sent them out to to get scoped, failed, and were not sent back to the auto wrecker. Since that was the only set they had, I called auto wrecker #2 and they had a matched set off of a 360 coupe with 13,338 miles. They were more expensive but come with a 90 day warranty. I received these exhaust manifolds today and will inspect them with my mechanic.
FNA had all the parts for my transmission (first and second synchros, all the associated parts that go with them, all the gaskets and O rings for the transmission case, etc.). They supposedly arrived at Ferrari of San Francisco today and will presumably be at the shop by tomorrow.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-14-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

It's difficult to see from the picture (and the picture was difficult to take) but, at least from the outside, the cat material is clean, white and pristine.
Attached Images

post #7 of 16 Old 05-01-2015, 07:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
Hi Scud,

I didn't know there was a market for the stock stuff. I have headers and cats from my 2000 360 sitting around in the garage that I'm itching to get rid of. Any suggestions on where I'd list them to find a buyer?
post #8 of 16 Old 05-01-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Cats View Post
Hi Scud,

I didn't know there was a market for the stock stuff. I have headers and cats from my 2000 360 sitting around in the garage that I'm itching to get rid of. Any suggestions on where I'd list them to find a buyer?

Fleabay.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-01-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaAudio View Post
Fleabay.

Make sure you put down the number of miles on the components as well as why you removed them. Everybody will want to know this.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Cats View Post
Hi Scud,

This is ScuderiaAudio (sending a note from my personal account).
The second set of exhaust manifolds fell through. If you are still interested in selling yours, send me a note to [email protected]
Thanks,
Mike
post #11 of 16 Old 06-27-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

So I ended up purchasing another set of used exhaust manifolds. Meanwhile, after waiting and waiting and waiting for a slot at the local repair facility, my brother and I decided to repair the transmission on our own. It took us two hours to disassemble and find the issue (the second gear synchro was toast) including fabrication of the custom tools required for disassembly, and roughly three hours to reassemble. I have detailed pictures if anyone is interested.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 AM

So I replaced the exhaust manifolds, my brother and I stabbed the transmission, I replaced the oil pressure sending unit, the intercooler, reassembled the balance of the car, purged the air out of the coolant lines and topped off all fluids. Car runs perfect and has never shifted better.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-11-2015, 08:00 PM

Having received several e-mails requesting the details of the transmission repair, I put up a page on my website:

360 Transmission Rebuild - Ferrari and Lamborghini sound system car stereo audio | ScuderiaAudio.com

Having rebuilt over 30 transmissions, my brother said the 360 transmission is one of the easiest he has worked on. All the bearings are sealed, most parts can only go on one way, etc.
He is up for working on any Ferrari transmission (pre-458) so let me know if anyone needs some work and can't get in anywhere else and I will talk to him. The reason I went to him in the first place is because I was getting lead times of 5-12 weeks and estimates that exceeded $12,000.00. My brother repaired mine in a day (one day lead time) for a fraction of the cost.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-18-2015, 07:13 PM

So the new(er) exhaust manifolds took care of the "catalyst efficiency" code, but the fuel trim code kept popping up (P1190). I swapped out the MAFs and air filters, and no more code.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareDrone View Post
So the new(er) exhaust manifolds took care of the "catalyst efficiency" code, but the fuel trim code kept popping up (P1190). I swapped out the MAFs and air filters, and no more code.
I love happy endings.. congrats!
post #16 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
I love happy endings.. congrats!

I love my Ferrari long time!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode