360 Total noob starts working on his 360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 03-14-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
Total noob starts working on his 360

The Goals:

1.) Determine source of oil leak and fix
2.) Replace Heat exchanger
3.) Replace trans and engine oil and coolant.
4.) Inspect for common issues.

So, I think I should start with some of my qualifications:

1.) losing ratchets and wrenches 5 seconds after finding the right one
2.) Getting dirty
3.) Swearing
4.) bolt plinko

Next I should follow up my tools:

1.) Ratchet set (almost complete)
2.) various allen wrenches; some IKEA branded
3.) Screw drivers of various origins
4.) Hammer

And finally, my qualifications:

1.) I have no qualifications.

So, first I removed the wheel wells. This was easy. 4 screws - each side. No problem.

Next, I removed the challenge grill. This was also easy. 7 nuts, there's supposed to be more, but whatever, your results may vary. Unplug the lights and it's off.

Next, I removed the bumper. I thought this was kind of a pain in the ass. For me, it was 8 big nuts and 4 little ones and a few plugs. Thankfully, I had some extenders for the ratchet or that would have been REALLY hard.

Then I took off the Air box. This required me to remove the small metal cover next to it, too. The air box was held on by 6 or 8 nuts and some grommets. It came out pretty easy, too. You have to free up the oil thing on the top by undoing the 4 nuts for it and move it out of the way.

Then I removed the trunk lid. This was 4 nuts for the trim piece and 4 big bolts. You also have to remove the 4 bolts that hold the supports in place.

Then I removed the side covers. I used a little flat head to pop open the clips on the supports and removed them, then used IKEA allen #2 to remove the side covers. There's like 8 or so on each side.

I was getting tired/bored so I removed the under tray, too. This is held on with about 600 bolts.

Then I called it a day.

So, here's what I've learned so far:

1.) This car is REALLY easy to work on.
2.) I think the oil drip is coming from where that gold pipe on the bottom of the motor plugs in.
3.) The parts are REALLY light once removed from the car.
4.) My transmission mount is toast and will have to be replaced, too.
5.) This car is DIRTY.

I'll work on it some more either tomorrow or next weekend. I'll also be adding cleaning and mounts to the list now, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Steven- Deep end method. Best way to learn. Assume you have downloaded the pretty bad workshop manuals from ferraridatabase.com. There is also an early, incomplete F430 WSM that is much better illustrated, at least for those illustrations it has.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 40 Old 03-15-2015, 04:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Very entertaining post. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 40 Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Update!

Turns out I don't have the right sized hex wrenches to remove the oil and tranny fluid plugs (12mm and 14mm) so, I'm going to have to pick those up.

I did, however, order the Heat Exchanger (fpn: 180846) from eurospares. Got it for $525 shipped to Indiana! Ordered Sunday and the fedex Tracking says it will be here on Wednesday. That's pretty cool - very happy with my purchase so far from them.

So, here's where I think the oil is dripping from:

and here's a pic of the totally wasted trans mount:

I'm also going to replace the headers and cats while I'm back there with some aftermarket stuff. (If anyone wants to buy the stock headers or cats, hit me up!)

Anyways here's the current state of the carnage:

So, my wife thought I needed some help and bought me an air compressor. Seeing as I don't have any air tools or any idea what to do with it, it's just adding moral support for right now.

On the plus side, a buddy is bringing me a big stand up tool case full of all kinds of stuff so that should help!

-Mark
post #5 of 40 Old 03-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Garage
post #6 of 40 Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Entertaining Mark
Better than cable TV tonight
Thanks for sharing !
post #7 of 40 Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I wish you were my neighbor - could watch this all day long.

In fact it inspired me - my 16M battery is dead. Figured would go give it a jump.

Here is how far I got keep in 90 minutes to find the damn thing then decided to take out the 360 - no first gear drove it around in 2nd. 9669 posts vs 33 and you are way ahead of me.
Attached Images

Last edited by champagne612; 03-16-2015 at 08:41 PM.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Great posts Mark! You're doing a great job on your car! Once you've found out how things work on your car, you'll never drive it again in the same way Please keep updating.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-17-2015, 05:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
I like your attitude! IMO Ferrari's are not hard to work on. What I have done so far has been not a problem. I have been turning wrenches for my whole life and I am impressed in your posts. One of the biggest things to remember is that if something is stuck, try to figure out why. Forcing things, breaks things!! There is a lot of knowledge out here and people that want to help. When I bring my 360 up north, I will put timing belts and maybe a clutch. All of the DIY info is helpful. If your are in the USA, from the pics you must be on the west coast?
post #10 of 40 Old 03-17-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Champ, it's too bad you don't live near by; you could join the rest of my cul de sac in the betting pool as whether I'm going to be able to actually put it back together again!

Jack, I'm over in Indiana just north of Indianapolis. If you're ever in the area, just drive in the direction you hear swearing and tools bouncing off a garage floor - you'll find me.

So, I bought a block of hex heads for the rachet that has the 12 and 14 in it. Then I went to home depot to pick up something put the oil fluids in. So, they wanted like 18 bucks for the big round black oil thing. Who does that!?!? when the tupperware in the next isle is only 2 bucks a bin! Going into this already saving 12 bucks!

I also picked up a block of bendy bits for the rachet. For some, these may be just new bits for the ratchet. But, for me, this is confirmation that I'm the greatest race car mechanic who's ever lived:

(mortals who don't work on things don't own tools such as these - they even smell like proper tools and don't say IKEA on them. I'll bet they quenched the steel with ice cold brandy when they forged these on Mt. Olympus)

I'm going to try to remove the big Red thing and all it's silver crap under it off the top of the motor tonight. That, and spill, (let's be honest here), probably about 8.5 liters of oil on the floor of the garage. I'm thinking there's at least a liter and half splattered all over the under tray, the back bumper, and up and down the roads of my subdivision already.

Any Idea what that gold tube on the bottom is? I'm thinking once I've repainted my garage floor and myself black tonight, I might pull that off and stare at it until it fixes itself.

My new 180846 is supposed to be hear tomorrow!
post #11 of 40 Old 03-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Stephen good luck mate, I'm liking your approach. There's some guys here who should be able to help identify things if you run up against a brick wall....and as for me I'm just looking forward to being entertained.

Cheers
Michael

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.
post #12 of 40 Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone! Quick update since the last one.

Since I don't know the proper terms for all this we're going to go with the following:

The Big Silver and Red thing: "The Top Intake Assembly"
The silver Square things: "The fuel rails"
The Throttle bodies: "The Throttle bodies"

So, I removed all the nuts that hold the "The Top Intake Assembly" on to the top of the block. Then I removed the fuel lines plugged them with screws and capped the part on the tanks on each side. These are the ones that run into the "The fuel rails" on the sides of the "The Top Intake Assembly". Then I unplugged a bunch of, what I can only assume are, vacuum lines and a vents tubes.

I managed to free up the whole thing, but once it was free and I wasn't able to move it, I discovered a metric crap-ton of more plugs and tubes under it that are somehow still keeping me from removing "The Top Intake Assembly". I decided to hang it up because I'm tired and I need one of those long magnet sticks... for reasons...

On the plus side, I finally got to take a look at and actually the see the 180846! So, I'm not far now!

Places were swearing occurred:

1.)The tube that goes off the back of "The Top Intake Assembly". Seriously, is it that important? I about got a hernia pulling that thing off.

2.) The bottom plug on the drivers side throttle body. It almost proved to be the stronger of us.

3.) Gasoline is scary.

4.) The 6 reasons I need a long magnet stick.

Things I learned:

1. The aluminum engine cradle brace that goes over the engine can support a 180 lb moron standing on it while tugging on the "The Top Intake Assembly" trying to remove it. (note to self: Be careful not to bang head on garage door track if you stand up in frustration)

2. My totally awesome bendy bits for the ratchet are really just for show. Turns out they were all too big to reach the nuts I was trying to reach. Luckily, the extension joint that comes in my motorcycle's tool kit will do the job just fine.

3. The chassis, frame and engine of this car have more structural integrity than my knuckles.

Quotes from Today:

1.) Conv. with Wife

"That looks Scary"
"Nah, it's just nuts and bolts and tubes and plugs"
"I meant expensive"
"Oh, yeah, it's kind of scary"

2.) Father in Law

"I think you would look just as cool in a Volkswagen."

3.) Best Friend

"I hope you don't have to change your forum post from "Total noob starts working on his 360" to "Total retard has to buy a new engine for his 360"

Last edited by Steven_Cats; 03-17-2015 at 08:56 PM.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-18-2015, 04:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
[QUOTE=Steven_Cats;598098]Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Champ, it's too bad you don't live near by; you could join the rest of my cul de sac in the betting pool as whether I'm going to be able to actually put it back together again!

I would bet against you - only for motivation.

One way to get even. Install the loudest exhaust / Ferrari notes are the worlds finest alarm clocks.

Until then keep unscrewing!
post #14 of 40 Old 03-18-2015, 06:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Mark, you have a hugely entertaining thread going here, and I'm sure the self deprecation is more for effect, as most genuine "noobs" would be scared sh*tless to be doing what you're doing....

Nevertheless, (and you're probably already doing this) masking tape, Ziplocs and a felt marker, along with your digicam are great memory aids to document what you're doing so you don't have to totally trust to memory when it's time for it all to go back together

Whenever wifey finds her Ziplocs in short supply, she knows I'm taking something apart so she goes into "turf defense" mode and reads me the riot act about how the kitchen is absolutely and positively off limits for that "car stuff". (She's worked it out that whenever I take things apart, some of the bits eventually find their way into her dishwasher, or into her oven to be loosened up. So a word to the wise: try to run the dishwasher very early in the morning when everyone is still asleep, and plan to have everyone out of the house for at least an hour after you've preheated your parts. It does stink the house up a bit when you're heating up a bearing housing that hasn't been completely degreased.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #15 of 40 Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Remind me when I got caught with my Lotus Europa block in the dishwasher...Ooops!

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #16 of 40 Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
man you should write comedy, that was funny. Good luck.
post #17 of 40 Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

So, I was feeling a bit intimidated and unsure of myself when I ended things the previous night. I'd dropped a few nuts into places I couldn't reach, I'd hit my head on the garage door frame and I broke one of the plastic clips on the side of the intake that holds tubes and stuff on.

But, shortly after I went to bed, the ghost of Enzo Ferrari visited me and gave me a very inspirational pep talk. I have no idea what he said because it was in Italian, but I decided to not rest until the I reached the 180846 tonight. Dino was there, too, but all he did was hit on my wife and drink my coffee.

So...

UPDATE!!!

My new 180846 arrived today! I gotta tell you guys, those eurospares.uk.co guys are a-okay in my book. I place the order on Monday and got it today. That, and for 525 bucks - which seems WAY less than what I was seeing elsewhere.

Taking it out of the box, I gave it a good sniff to make sure it was genuine.
That is a mighty fine 180846 if you ask me.

I managed to remove the whole "The Top Intake Assembly"! I had to reach under it and unscrew 4 nuts that held on some wiring looms, unplug a tube that connected to some kind of cannister with a twisty end, and then unplug 2 spark plug wires on each side. Then I removed 2 allen screws from the side and removed a sensor from each side of the head. I fed all this back into the middle and unplugged another plug and unscrewed it from the bottom of the "The Top Intake Assembly" and it was ready to remove!

So, once I had this big bastard removed and put on the floor, I went to task with the magnet stick. Look; I found everything except for the IKEA allen key I dropped in there somewhere when I was removed the trunk lid:

So, now we can actually see the faulty 180846. It's taking a leasurely bath in it's own juices on the top of the motor right now. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but there's radiator fluid and oil? on the top of the motor. It's a mess. The black canister in the front might be leaking, too. It's all greasy as well.

So, anyways, here we are. The big thing is out of the way and I still have all my fingers. So far, I don't think I've caused any irreparable damage to the car and all this DIY stuff and tool buying has increased both the size and girth of my gentleman's parts as well as thickening the density of my chest hair.

Tomorrow, I'm actually going to drain the fluids. I've been putting that off because it's sure to go catastrophically wrong. I'm going to have to order some more parts, too. I broke a little plastic clip on the side of the red thing and the gaskets under the "The Top Intake Assembly" are shot. I think while this thing is so taken apart, now would be a good time to change the spark plugs.

Can anyone else suggest any other stuff I should inspect/replace while the motor's all exposed like this?

Thanks!

-Mark
post #18 of 40 Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Mark- Take a really good look at the coolant and transaxle oil and see if there is cross-contamination. If there is, you want to do a really good job of flushing the cooling system and the transaxle. Easier to do on the cooling system since you can use water, not so much on the transaxle because you want oil to do that job. Coolant does not enhance transaxle lubrication, despite what many 360 owners have tried to prove over the years.

Hopefully you caught the leaks early.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #19 of 40 Old 03-19-2015, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quick question:

what do you guys use to clean the engine bag? It's a total greasy mess back there.
post #20 of 40 Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Cats View Post
Quick question:

what do you guys use to clean the engine bag? It's a total greasy mess back there.
I've used a number of products but any degreaser will work just fine. I've used Griot's but it's small bottle.

I actually use Leatherique on rubber and that works well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode