F430 Track Use - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Track Use

Last year I used my F430 at Sebring for one day and was disappointed with the brakes. I encountered a lot of brake fade. I normally track my Porsche there without any problems. I had fresh OEM pads and fresh OEM fluid. I'd estimate that I used almost half of the pad.

This year I'm thinking about going again and want to see if I can improve the brake performance. I'm familiar with Castrol SRF fluid and will probably switch to that. I'm at a loss on pads as I don't see many after market manufacturers. On my Porsche I use PFC pads and intend to call them to see if they make pads that will fit the F430.

Any thoughts and recommendations on this would be appreciated.

Rich

2006 F430 Spyder, 2011 Carrera S & 2006 BMW M3
Member FCA Florida, Suncoast PCA & BMWCCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Rich, if you have standard brakes you can upgrade to carbon ceramic brakes quite easily.

If you don't want to upgrade the brakes use pads from Yellowstuffs or Pagid.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #3 of 8 Old 03-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Check out Summit Racing. They are a stocking retailer for Hawk & EBC brake pads. You can search by year, make & model. They list pad options for both street use and track use. Pick up a set of competition only pads for the car, make sure to get a matched set front and rear.

Castrol SRF is a great brake fluid. You can also use Motul RBF 600. Both are also available through Summit Racing.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2015, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Josh and Peter - thank you for the information.

Rich

2006 F430 Spyder, 2011 Carrera S & 2006 BMW M3
Member FCA Florida, Suncoast PCA & BMWCCA
post #5 of 8 Old 03-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
I had Cobalt Friction build a set of XR2 compound pads for my 360 prior to running the FCA event at Road America. Your only real option to avoid future fade is to find a lining that operates at high temperatures. The only drawback I found with this compound is high levels of brake squeal. I have to swap pads when I drive on the street. Send me a message if you would like more information about CF pads. Ferrari does not show up on the list of vehicles they support so you need to know what type of Brembo caliper is on your car.
Jeff
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
If the 50% of pad wear is on the rear it may be an overactive stability control. Unless turned completely off it has been know to destroy Scud CCM pads rather quickly.

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
the calper and rotor on a stock 430 are too small for track days. brembo makes a great upgrade. 6pot callers with an aluminum hub and replaceable rotor. about 4k per axle.

totally unnecessary for the road, great improvement for the track. no master cylinder changes, excellent brake feel. I did fronts only and it worked well.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
I would say simply flush with SRF and if Performance Friction makes pads in the 11 or 14 compound you will be just fine. You don't need to change/upgrade your brakes for a couple track days a year..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode