360 Lifter Ticking? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
Lifter Ticking?

Hi all,

So, I was running my engine to warm it up and check some fluid levels when I noticed a tick coming from the passenger side of the engine. It was pretty pronounced when the engine was cold, but calmed down quite a bit after it warmed up - but, didn't go away completely.

My guesses:

1.) Loose/cracked header
2.) Lifter

I'm already replacing the header and cats, so that's not a big concern, but if it's a lifter, should I remove the engine to get at it or has anyone replaced those with the engine still in the car? There looks like there's room back there to work, but I wouldn't mind hearing some folk's experience with those.

Also, has anyone here swapped for solid lifters? I'm wondering how much of a pain in the ass that would be. Toda has a pretty decent looking set that's not super far off the factory costs.

Toda Europe

Thanks!

-Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Check the headers first, it's not uncommon on the F360 for them to crack where the secondary air tubes are welded to the primaries. If you do get into changing a lifter, it can be done with the engine in the car.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

oh, that's good to hear. I'm not opposed to yanking the motor, but if it's not needed, cool. I'm swapping the headers out for Agency Power headers and test pipes here a short minute. If it's a header leak, that should take care of it.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Master Mechanic

Good luck with your AP headers. The ones I've seen are even more poorly built and have even worse fitment than Fabspeed manifolds. The last set I installed required for the cylinder head flanges to be ground flat as they wouldn't seat evenly and seal. The, the outlet flange was positioned incorrectly and it was impossible to get the donut to seal completely AND have the muffler tips exit the bumper symmetrically. Hopefully yours install better...

post #5 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Yikes. That sounds terrible. Fabspeed's are bad, too? Who do you recommend? I haven't gotten off my lazy ass to order them yet. You might have helped me dodge a bullet!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
If you go with solid lifters you need to change cams also, different profile for solid lifters.

Things that make your engine go bang in the night

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider
post #7 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 AM
Master Mechanic

The trouble is that quality is very inconsistent with either product, form my experience. Some guys are fine with their products and some guys have had a lot of issues. For me, that inconsistency is a problem and I can't justify the risk.

I'm not exactly sure what brand you would want to buy in that $3k price range. From what I've seen the build quality of IPE Innotech exhaust parts is decent, but still from Taiwan. I haven't installed their headers though, just muffler systems.

The products you CAN count on for quality every time are double the price, Tubi & Capristo.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

I'm not opposed to going with a higher end brand, I'm just having trouble finding where I can buy them. It seems everywhere I look everyone carries either agency power or fabspeed. I did take a look at the Innotech stuff, doesn't look too bad from the pictures and their test car sounds really good.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Silly- Nobody is changing to solid lifters on a 360. This is not a Chevrolet V8 with cams and lifters widely available. Ferrari's hydraulic lifters have been troublesome, but it if is just a little lifter noise when cold, not much of an issue. Owners of 612s and 599s complained about lifter noise and Ferrari added snake oil to quiet them down at start. Funny thing is the Maranellos use the same lifters as the 612 and nobody complained about the noise.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Master Mechanic

You can contact Champion Motorsport in Florida for Tubi products, they are the N. American distributor. Capristo USA is located in Florida as well. Neither lists the F360 manifolds on their websites, but they are in their catalogue. If you call in and speak with someone directly, you can order up a pair.

post #11 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Mark...I'm betting on the passenger side header. Just got my car back with the same symptom and it was a cracked passenger side header. Found a very good used replacement at Ricambi. Problem solved. Best to you.

Don
post #12 of 13 Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll hopefully have the header off this weekend and while I'm back there, I'm swapping in new juices. Hopefully when I next fire her up, it will be a bit quieter.

Well, the ticking - I imagine whichever headers I go with will have the complete opposite effect.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 06:18 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Garage
Any luck with the install? Was it your headers? I have this issue with my fabspeed header that I installed. After install it was running fine, but after a long drive it started to tick, I re-torqued all the header bolts. The ticking still continues, Changed the oil, thought it might be headers, but still there, Thought might be the plugs, they seemed loose, but replaced both banks anyways. seems to have quite down just a little bit, but still there. I heard it with the stethoscope, seems to be coming from injectors. couldn't find much on noisy injectors, any input would be appreciated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode