360 grey market car - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
grey market car

I am about to purchase a grey market 360. The ferrari mechanic that I have been talking to said he would not touch a grey market car. What I need to know from you all is, if you think it has less value, how much less--% or $. I hope this is the last thread from me about buying this car. It is a pig in a poke but if I can buy it right it will work for me-----Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Jack- No reason for a mechanic to shy away from a gray market 360 because late ones were pretty much world cars, at any rate, and parts are readily available. Probably 10-20% on late cars. Some 25 year old Ferraris, like a 308 GTB fiberglass, are probably worth more than the US versions.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Jack - it's bs.

Get what you want and if it's priced right who cares. Anything mechanical can be fixed it's the frame and body that matters.

At the end of the day - Ferrari buyers / tire kickers are a PIA so buying a grey market will most likely be worth less.

Terry is right certain ones are worth more - overall it's perception which means it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

It does not make any difference to me but the purchase price is dependent of the value to others also. We are a little off on the price, just want to present my reasoning to the owner, why I have a different value. I have heard 10-20 less in value from other people also. I never buy a car with the intention to sell it but I had to give up my beloved cars to get rid of an ex wife!!!!
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgt View Post
It does not make any difference to me but the purchase price is dependent of the value to others also. We are a little off on the price, just want to present my reasoning to the owner, why I have a different value. I have heard 10-20 less in value from other people also. I never buy a car with the intention to sell it but I had to give up my beloved cars to get rid of an ex wife!!!!
The value will be less on a typical US vs Euro - but my guess is the seller already took that into consideration as you did when you got rid of the exotics for the ex - wife.

Little off - means you two should make a deal ... a lot off either you aren't a buyer or he isn't a seller and keep hunting.

Good Luck!
post #6 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
I am about to purchase a grey market 360. The ferrari mechanic that I have been talking to said he would not touch a grey market car.
And there could be a very good reason why....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jack- No reason for a mechanic to shy away from a gray market 360 because late ones were pretty much world cars...
Pretty much means very little if the car will not pass a State tailpipe or OBD-II inspection. Many non-USA market cars are not required to have Secondary Air injection systems. Although this omission in itself will not trigger a CEL or trouble code, an astute Inspector may notice this abnormality. The fun begins here!

Speaking from first hand experience recent with a grey market car adventure...Make 100% sure that there are inspection records from the previous owner(s). I have learned more about OBD-II compliance issues in the last six months than most would learn in a lifetime. This can be an expensive lesson if everything was not done correctly and to the letter of the law.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
David- True, especially on early 360s.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Equipment is a big factor. This one has everything including the pre converters and air pump. I have an appt with the CA referee station tomorrow. I do not want a car that I can not reg in CA. We will see--
post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

bought the car, it is a kick to drive, it will be a keeper. thanks for all the info---Jack
post #10 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 05:31 AM
Owner

Quote:
bought the car, it is a kick to drive, it will be a keeper. thanks for all the info---Jack
Pictures Congrats and Enjoy!
post #11 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Is there an easy way to get a pic on the site? As far as I can see you have to have a URL and the only way I know is to put it on facebook and then bring it over.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 02:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Congratulations on your purchase. Hope it will all be well.

Quick reply > go advanced > Additional options > manage attachments > Choose file(s) from your PC > Upload.

Simple as that.

And I highly reccomend flickr as an online image hoster. If you feel a need to use an image hoster, of course.

Last edited by DogZy; 02-13-2015 at 03:00 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

finally a pic. There is a lot of little differences on a euro car inside
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode