Monster Car Audio Install by Scuderia Audio
So I finally had some time over the holiday break to work on my own car. Assembling a large car stereo is not rocket science, but doing it without any cutting or drilling or any modifications to the car takes some creative thinking.
I started out by purchasing 5 Arc Audio 500.1 amplifiers and 1 Arc Audio 125.4 amplifiers for a total of 3000 Watts. Each of the 10 JL Audio 8" subwoofers is rated at 250 Watts, and that's exactly what each one will receive. So that's 2500 Watts for the subs, and the remaining 500 Watts for the Arc Audio Black Series midrange and tweeters.
I went to Tap Plastics and had a 1/2" thick piece of polyethylene cut 28 3/4" x 25" if I recall correctly. I had my (machinist) brother bend me some aluminum brackets that would hold the amp board and mount to the car using the existing metric rivnuts on each side of the bottom of the trunk that hold the side trunk liner pieces to the car. The brackets were covered with suede and the board test fitted.
With 3000 Watts of power, you definitely need more batteries. I purchased a couple of the Braille b106 racing batteries, almost 300 cranking amps apiece and less than 7 pounds apiece. I removed the container that holds the can of fix-a-flat from the trunk (who would use that stuff anyway??) and drilled out the cheap rivets that hold the leather straps. The rivets were replaced with metric, black anodized allen panhead machine screws. Even though you cannot see either the pop rivets or the machine screws when the container is in place, the machine screws look much better than the pop rivets and are stronger as well. In 10 minutes I can have the straps bolted back in and the bag for the fix-a-flat back in place.
I made a pattern out of cardboard that follows the concave contour of the back wall, then made a similar pattern out of MDF. I cut several pieces of the MDF, bonded them all together with polyurethane, finish sanded and test mounted using the existing holes that previously accommodates the pop rivets for the leather straps.
I went to a metal supply warehouse and picked up some .080" thick aluminum scrap, went to the tech shop, sheared off a piece to size, then used the notcher and the box brake to construct a tray to hold the two batteries. The tray holder bolts to the back plastic piece using machine screws, and the battery box bolts to the tray holder using machine screws.
Before any of this, I stepped into the trunk, put one foot on the rear shelf (where the fix-a-flat goes), put my other foot on top of the first foot, then basically bounced up and down to see what would happen. The plastic piece is so thick and bolted so securely that I was able to put over 200 pounds of force on the shelf without a single flex or squeak, so I'm sure that holding two 6 1/2" pound batteries is not going to be a big deal.
Next up is getting the shelf and battery box wrapped in suede, mounting the amplifier board, and making covers for both. I haven't decided whether to go for plain, functional covers or wild, backlit designs.