360 Air Filters ( BMC / K&N / Stock / Green Dragon ) - which 1? - Ferrari Life
View Poll Results: Which Air-Filter should I go with?
Put the OEM Air-Filters back on (FREE) 10 58.82%
Buy a new pair of BMC ($270) 3 17.65%
Buy a new pair of K&N ($73) 2 11.76%
Buy a new pair of GREEN DRAGON ($140) 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-13-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Jimmy540i.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles / New York
Ferrari Life Posts: 211
Air Filters ( BMC / K&N / Stock / Green Dragon ) - which 1?

Guys:

My BMC air filters are up for an replacement. What you think I should do?

(inputs on the actual HP gain with these air-filters are greatly appreciated)

Please vote and post inputs :-)

Last edited by Jimmy540i.com; 12-13-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Jimmy540i.com is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Jimmy- I, and many of the pros, do not want oil upstream of our MAF sensors. New OEM paper filters work fine and do not cost that much considering how infrequently they require changing.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #3 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
 
Jimmy540i.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles / New York
Ferrari Life Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jimmy- I, and many of the pros, do not want oil upstream of our MAF sensors. New OEM paper filters work fine and do not cost that much considering how infrequently they require changing.

Terry:

Thank you so much for the input. I've had the BMC for the past 8 years without any problems. I even did a little write up on my site; which thanks to google had top its search results for "Ferrari + BMC + 360", here's the page : http://www.jimmy540i.com/bmc.htm

I just put my OEM air-filters back on and the car drives fine. Now when you mentioned "New" OEM paper filers, did you mean that Ferrari made an update or newer version of the OEM air-filters? My factory air-fliters were made in 2004.

I've searched on Ricambi and here's the result:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/produc...ucts_id=205752
( Part #170689 AIR FILTER 360 - This item has been superseded to a new part: 190880 )

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/produc...products_id=70
( Part #190880 - Air Filter - $38.97 each )

Here's the picture of the Air-Filter - Part #190880 on Ricambi's website:


Here's a picture of my OEM air filter which I took years ago (the one on the right):


Do you know if Part #170689 & 190880 are identical parts? How are they different from each other?

Also do you know for the fact that these oiled filters has any real HP increase via OEM? I searched and can't find any dyno / test results.

Thank you.

Last edited by Jimmy540i.com; 12-14-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Jimmy540i.com is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Jimmy- 190880 superceded 170689, so either would work if you found some NOS of the old part number. They are so cheap, though, hardly seems worth the effort.

I have not seen any comparison numbers I would trust.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #5 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Jimmy540i.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles / New York
Ferrari Life Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jimmy- 190880 superceded 170689, so either would work if you found some NOS of the old part number. They are so cheap, though, hardly seems worth the effort.

I have not seen any comparison numbers I would trust.

Terry:

Just took a couple of a short drives, strangely I missed the sound (or whatever that was) that BMC provides.

Upon my research, a few 360 owners had issues with the K&N (mostly CEL for being too oily), so I am prob gonna skip K&N though its 1/4 the price of BMC.

What is your input on this pic of the green dragon?


I know the Green Dragon Filter is technically the Green Filter @ Green Filter USA - Official Site

What do you think of this Green Filter vs. K&N vs OEM video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY7fSPvI8bY

Looking forward to your wisdom.

Last edited by Jimmy540i.com; 12-15-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Jimmy540i.com is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 06:33 AM
Owner
 
360 Modena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
I have K&N on my TR for 10+ years, no problems.
Will stay with OEM on the 360.
360 Modena is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Master Mechanic
 
ECSofVirginia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I've done dyno testing on a couple cars like the 360 and a Benz CLK63 and compared stock filters, K&N Filters and the BMC Filter. There is NO performance gain. What I see is the oil film saturation on a MAF car and sometimes obnoxious intake noises due to improper sealing by the aftermarket filter gasket.


The only gain I ever witnessed was from the BMS foam filter, like used on PWC's and motorcycles. I saw a 1whp gain in that configuration. Unfortunately, none of these manufacturers make the foam filter in a drop in application for the cars.


ECSofVirginia is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Owner
 
RichardCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich for 23 years
Ferrari Life Posts: 416
I soak my K&N's in very hot soapy water overnight, then thoroughly rinse them and dry them in hot sunshine, gets rid of the oil issues, never any cel
RichardCH is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Richard- The oil is what stops the dirt. Without the oil, all kinds of grit is getting past those filters, which are way more open than OEM.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
 
Jimmy540i.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles / New York
Ferrari Life Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
I've done dyno testing on a couple cars like the 360 and a Benz CLK63 and compared stock filters, K&N Filters and the BMC Filter. There is NO performance gain. What I see is the oil film saturation on a MAF car and sometimes obnoxious intake noises due to improper sealing by the aftermarket filter gasket.


The only gain I ever witnessed was from the BMS foam filter, like used on PWC's and motorcycles. I saw a 1whp gain in that configuration. Unfortunately, none of these manufacturers make the foam filter in a drop in application for the cars.
Thanks for the input.
Jimmy540i.com is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Owner
 
KKRace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Olney, MD
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
I've talked to a couple different race engine builders. I won't run anything but a stock style paper filter on a street car. Especially if I want it to maintain leakdown and compression test numbers. Those foam style filters just keep out rocks and small birds. Too much dust get sucked in. On the race engines it doesn't matter because we rebuild them every year anyway. I crindged when I read that Richard washed the oil out of the KN and ran it dry. Certainly avoid any gravel driveways etc. Just no upside except they look cool. In some cases you actually loose HP with some of the so called performance filters. I've seen for myself where the large round filters that don't use a metal cover and allow air to come through the top as well as the sides cause a loss in HP. Causes some sort of turbulance issues with the air flow unless you go to the ones the sprint car guys use that are 6 inches tall.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
KKRace is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 12-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Owner
 
RichardCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich for 23 years
Ferrari Life Posts: 416
The Swiss air is probably the best in the world and the roads are immaculately clean but your points are noted chaps
RichardCH is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
In that case you probably do not need an air filter.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Jimmy540i.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles / New York
Ferrari Life Posts: 211
well bro I went with this:

Jimmy540i.com is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 02-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Jimmy- Kind of a waste of time to ask if you already had your mind made up.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #16 of 16 Old 02-04-2015, 06:18 PM
 
Gary R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
I've talked to a couple different race engine builders. I won't run anything but a stock style paper filter on a street car. Especially if I want it to maintain leakdown and compression test numbers. Those foam style filters just keep out rocks and small birds. Too much dust get sucked in. On the race engines it doesn't matter because we rebuild them every year anyway. I crindged when I read that Richard washed the oil out of the KN and ran it dry. Certainly avoid any gravel driveways etc. Just no upside except they look cool. In some cases you actually loose HP with some of the so called performance filters. I've seen for myself where the large round filters that don't use a metal cover and allow air to come through the top as well as the sides cause a loss in HP. Causes some sort of turbulance issues with the air flow unless you go to the ones the sprint car guys use that are 6 inches tall.
Agree 100%, total waste to put anything but clean OEM filters on and even if you keep the K&N's (and others) oiled you are worse off in every way.. Biggest scam since the "Turbonator"... and don't forget the Cool Collar for your oil filter..
Gary R. is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale