F430 F430 F1 Shifts into neutral when up shifting from 3 to 4 gear - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
F430 F1 Shifts into neutral when up shifting from 3 to 4 gear

I just had my clutch replaced in my 2006 F430 F1. It was road tested and all went well. Then when I got delivery from my private mechanic I drove and it shifted great. I was testing in the race mode and found after the car heated up for 15-20 minutes that The f1 would shift into neutral as I upshifted from 3rd to 4th gear. If I hit the upshift again to gain control it shifted into 6th gear and then down shifted fine. I have been able to reproduce this in race mode twice. Sport mode runs ok so far.

The clutch was just replaced due to leak in f1 system where fluid got into the clutch. So I was suggested to replace the clutch as it would begin to slip.

here I am now with this issue. The mechanic thinks it may be a programming issue. Perhaps PIS set too low. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
As a start, I would ask your mechanic to do an alignment of all gears using the SD3 or SDX. This may fix your 3rd to 4th gear selection issue.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Apparently he did use the SD3 tool calibrate etc. But why does the car lose gear in up shift after heating up and in race mode.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Did the cause of the leak get determined?
post #5 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Owner

Also, if your mechanic thinks the PIS is wrong then you need to get a more competent mechanic.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

The mechanic thinks it clutch parameter programming issue. I was just throwing out ideas about pis. He stated that on f430 f1 pis sets automatically with the Leonardo tool. He just gas to check if he may have mis entered the clutch parameters.

The car has problem shifting from 3-4 with a slight pause for engagement of gear 4 in sport mode and in race mode goes to neutral. Also as it gets warmed up on 1st gear takeoff sometimes it is jerky and not all the time though. It's making me uncomfortable as just dished out the money on the clutch. The leak was the f1 fluid at the throw bearing and all that and all seals were replaced.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayp56 View Post
I just had my clutch replaced in my 2006 F430 F1. It was road tested and all went well. Then when I got delivery from my private mechanic I drove and it shifted great. I was testing in the race mode and found after the car heated up for 15-20 minutes that The f1 would shift into neutral as I upshifted from 3rd to 4th gear. If I hit the upshift again to gain control it shifted into 6th gear and then down shifted fine. I have been able to reproduce this in race mode twice. Sport mode runs ok so far.

The clutch was just replaced due to leak in f1 system where fluid got into the clutch. So I was suggested to replace the clutch as it would begin to slip.

here I am now with this issue. The mechanic thinks it may be a programming issue. Perhaps PIS set too low. Any ideas?
I have seen this symptom several times in 360F1 and F430 F1 cars after clutch replacement (including my own 360F1). After all diagnostic procedures showed inconclusive results, the reason for jumping into neutral turned out to be an inadequately purged hydraulic power unit, EV lines and gear shift actuator. When the system is cold - it performs OK, but when it heats up, then it starts jumping into neutral. It will not hurt purging the system once more, especially if there was a leak before... See if purging will take care of it...
post #8 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

So I was puzzled why there were no warning lights etc. Also I just had the battery changed and therefore felt may be the vehicle is not had a proper self learning start up. I went ahead and disconnected the battery again for 10 minutes and then reconnected. Per the service manual I started the vehicle and ran it for 10 minutes so the self learning process can complete for the ECU. I have not had any problem now with the vehicle now dropping into neutral at all. It runs great from takeoff to shifting other than while shifting from 3 to 4 there is a slight pause till 4th gear engages but it down shifts great and up shifts to 5 and 6 as normal.

So any thoughts there? I just think the sd3 tool needs to be hooked up again and just check parameters on the clutch and gears.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Owner

The fact your battery was changed is an interesting fact. It's possible that your TCU has been underpowered and as a consequence, the settings in the flash memory are partly corrupted. I would definitely hook it up again on a SD3 to make sure that all settings are correct. While you're there, ask also your tech to run the gear actuator alignment. Hope you'll get her back soon all working fine again
post #10 of 16 Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Well things running fine. I switched over to auto in sport mode for 10 minutes as it compels computer self learn. After that run, everything back to normal. All shifts good. Case solved.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
I have the same exact problem after an F1 actuator rebuild on my 575M. It initially occurs in normal and sport modes and I asked the dealer to repurge and re-program the gear synchronization. Now the problem only occurs in Sport mode - please restate the steps you performed to solve problem.

Many thanks
Vafa
post #12 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Vafa do the following,

1. Disengage the battery for 10 minutes. This wipes out the programming.
2. Reconnect battery.
3. Run vehicle on idle 10 minutes.
4. Drive vehicle in manual mode and test gear shifting.
5. Then switch to sport mode and run car in auto for 10 minutes.
6. Switch back to manual and f1 should be good to go.

Hope that helps!
post #13 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Ray- What is the source for that procedure? Turning off the disconnect switch certainly does not wipe out the TCU programming.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Owner

Correct Terry, disconnecting the main battery switch will erase only the adaptive values of both Motronic ECU's but will reboot all ECUs.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
I did it - followed your direction but it did not work for me😂

Vafa
post #16 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Owner

That's because the procedure posted above is nonsense.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode