Ferrari Life Forum banner

ferrari f430 scud/16m buyers guide

F430 
3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mark_L 
#1 ·
hello,
I'm currently looking for another ferrari, i sold my 360 a couple of years ago and I've had a ferrari size void in my life since then. Im currently looking at either a f430 scuderia or 16m. Im just looking for a little bit of advice, anything that i should look out for? whats the car like to own? ect. All input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
ian

#2 ·
Hi Ian,

I suppose it depends upon what you are looking for in a car.

I can't speak for the scud but as a convertible, I have been really happy with the 16M. I like its rawness and rarity. It is a great car to take for a blast when the weather is suitable. It is comfortable to drive but forget about going for a long touring journey. It is pretty loud, so I don't think you want to while away the hours having conversation in it

I know some happily use it as a daily driver but for me I want to keep it for special drives. If I had oodles of spare cash, maybe I would have a different mindset. Now that the age of the more usable metal top spiders are here, the rag tops have a special place in history.

For a track car I would imagine the scud would win hands down.

If you scour through the forum you will find a scud/16m buying guide. Markjay I think is largely responsible for that. He also has both the scud and a 16m, so I would think he would give you the best advice.

If you state what exactly you are looking for in a car I'm sure the experts within this forum will point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

David.

#3 ·
hi david

thanks for the response it was most helpful. After owning my 360 i regretted not getting the challenge strad as i never really did any long journeys so id be quite happy with the extra noise!

Im mainly after something a bit more special than a f430, it will be used mostly on the road but I'm planning to do some track days.

The ability to have the suspension set softer while being able to change the other settings is most appealing due to some of the rougher roads around me.

From what I've been reading they have a slightly different gear box to a f430? am i correct in this.

Ill have a look for the buyers guide now.

thanks very much for your fast response
ian

#4 ·
Hi Ian,

The scud/16m have a lightning fast gearbox. I had an F430 coupe in the past and you can certainly feel the difference.

The noise level in the 16m cabin is a lot, lot more than the F430 berlinetta.

The suspension set up that you describe works well, but of course they are also not rally cars.

I really love the stripped down nature of the scud/16m. I much prefer this type of ferrari to the more refined tourers, which I see as more like conventional cars. I see the scud/16m as being a little closer to the F40/288gto's, which I adore but are outside my reach.

I would go even further and instal a roll cage and racing harnesses if I had a scud and was going to track it.

The 16m occupies a different position and is a little strange for me. They certainly are rare and they are not making any more of them! Cars are made at a particular point in time and reflect the technology of the time. The rare 16m does this really well. On the other hand being a spider, I can't really think of it as a track car.

In summary, if I wanted a trackable stripped down F430 I would get the scud and make it look more like a track car. You would also drive it more frequently than a 16m as it is a coupe. I see the rarer 16m as something to 'keep nice' and take out on better weather days. I am also a rare coin collector so I am naturally attracted to its limited numbers.

These are only my feelings and many others will totally disagree. Good luck with you decision on choosing between these wonderful cars.

David.

#5 ·
16m

Hi, There.

I have a Black 16M, that is used on occasional drives. The car is raw, stripped out and loud! I believe a low KMS 16M sold in Brisbane around 6 months ago for somewhere between 420-450K. Very few 16M's in Australia, so probably quite hard to find one - you may have to "settle" for a 430Scuderia - which is probably one of the greatest drivers cars ever made. Quite a few have traded over the last year, prices have also steadily risen.

#6 ·
Hi Mark,

Good to hear from another 16M owner from Australia. There are not that many of us. Ditto the Brisbane $450K sale price. Apparently very well appointed, CF skirts, uprated sound system etc.

Can you post any pics of yours? What colour stripe do you have? How many k's? I love the look of black 16M's. I think that they are the best looking 16M when the roof is up.

Regards,

David.

#7 ·
Hi, David.

Good to hear from you. My 16M has the "tri-stripe" and currently driven around 16000KMS. I try to balance enjoying life (driving the car) and reasonable KMS. The car is in perfect condition, and my intention is to keep it permanently.

No matter how stressed I am, the sound of the 16M and the "clunk" between rapid gear changes make me smile. The true "Ferrari Experience!".

I live in Cairns, and the car has been "spotted" a few times. Go to face book, Townsville/Cairns exotic car spotting. .

My email is seafresh70@hotmail.com if you want to swap some photos or share further information.

B.Rgds
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.