360 Ferrari 360 Precat Failure & Options - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Ferrari 360 Precat Failure & Options

I posted this here as this forum seems a little more level headed.

I was in the process of installing testpipes on my 2004 360 when I noticed a bunch of cat material on the driver side cat. After using my inspection camera I identified that the main cat was fine and it was all accumulated cat material from precat.

I started poking around the edges of the precat (where it had come apart) and somehow got all the way through and broke the last little piece that was holding it up.

I'm not really wanting to discuss the precat issue (since it appears highly debatable and I would be more of a devil's advocate) but I want the community's opinion on the header options.

Here's my pro/con list. It's almost impossible for me to make a decision :-(

MY>2000 replacement with precat

Pros
Direct fit
Cheaper ~$1k per side
Slightly quieter(precat) and more emission friendly

Cons
Potential recurrent cat failure

Aftermarket

Pros
No precat, no future failure
Adds performance
Looks nice
Good resell ability
Has air injection connection

Cons
More expensive 1.5k per side
Might change the sound because of the 4:1 collector
Louder
No heat blanket, needs ceramic coating & possibly blankets

MY1999 or Challenge header

Pros
No precat, no future failure
Keeps original sound 4:2:1 collector
Looks OEM
~$1k per side
Some HP gains

Cons
No air injection emission support, have to modify existing hardware
Louder

I've spent a few hours reading just about every thread, but still hard for me to make a decision here. I'm leaning towards just replacing with used one of same type, but seems counter-intuitive to do that knowing I will both loose the money and have to do the work all over again.

Last edited by cnegron; 07-22-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
I went with Fabspeed, though haven't had them installed yet. Another option would be to have the pre-cat cut out and a pipe welded in in it's place, though for some reason no one seems to mention doing that. I would think any competent muffler shop could do it?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 211
here's a lil write up in regarding to the Pre-Cat removal on my 360 , hope you find this helpful and all:

( CLICK HERE ) - - - - PRE-CAT (PRECAT / header) REMOVAL for FERRARI - 360 MODENA / 360 SPIDER @ (www.Jimmy540i.com)

post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

My concern with gutting the cats is creating a "dead zone" and slowing down exhaust velocity. Jimmy, did they add a smaller diameter pipe in that section or just gutted it?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnegron View Post
My concern with gutting the cats is creating a "dead zone" and slowing down exhaust velocity. Jimmy, did they add a smaller diameter pipe in that section or just gutted it?

They simply cut the thing open, removed the"stone", cleaned then welded the openings.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

I inserted my inspection camera into cylinders 7 & 8 yesterday and this is what I saw.

Cylinder 8

Cylinder 7

In the first picture, upper left, you can see a little bit of the cylinder lining. Is there anyone on the forum that's looked at enough of these to know if that's normal?

I will take the rest of the plugs out and inspect all of the cylinders later in the week. I'm hoping this isn't enough damage to warrant a rebuild.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 01:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy540i.com View Post
here's a lil write up in regarding to the Pre-Cat removal on my 360 , hope you find this helpful and all:

( CLICK HERE ) - - - - PRE-CAT (PRECAT / header) REMOVAL for FERRARI - 360 MODENA / 360 SPIDER @ (www.Jimmy540i.com)

Jimmy sorry for resurrect and old thread (I actually sent you an email before finding this thread asking you about the removal process) these pictures explain the whole thing, did you have any problems smogging the car in CA with those "scars"??
I know smog shops are very strict nowadays and they are failing the cars if they see any kind of aftermarket (shiny) parts inside the engine bay which are not "CARB" approved (no headers are because the process is incredibly expensive for manufacturers)
How much was the process? Labor hours?
No CEL lights?
Thank you
post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

People that have fabspeed headers have commented on getting a CEL. I have direct experience with an F430 doing the same. I imagine then that gutted precats will set an efficiency CEL. The other thing I would mention is that these headers are getting up there in age and I've see a lot of them cracking at the air injection points and under the blankets at the weld joints. My point is that adding welds to it which may be slightly contaminated may run additional risk of developing an early crack.

Not trying to answer for jimmy but the welds may not be an issue unless they are horribly strict at the smog shop, you can say that you repaired the heat shield. Nonetheless, I would be curious about Jimmy's experience as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode