Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Modern V8s: 360, F430 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/)
-   -   360 New 360 owner needing advice (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/33810-new-360-owner-needing.html)

indyheel 07-03-2014 03:31 PM

New 360 owner needing advice

Hello everyone, I'm picking up my 2001 360 Spider (3 pedal) with 11k miles in Chicago tomorrow and driving it 200 miles home. This is my first Ferrari, so I'm excited but also a little nervous about the drive back.
The car has been fully serviced by the shop that did my PPI. I have new belts, fluids, and tires. I've confirmed the car has all the factory updates (variator etc). The only issues that were identified in the PPI were that the back up lights weren't working and the electric front hood release wasn't working. both of these have ben addressed. No leaks or mechanical issues were found other than it being due for service.
To current 360 owners: Would you trust your car on a 200 mile trip? Is there anything else I could do to ensure a incident free trip? Any quirks I should be aware of when starting the car, refueling, raising and lowering the top? God forbid, if I have an issue and need a tow, are there any special procedures I need to be aware of?

Any advise would be appreciated? Thank you!

tazandjan 07-03-2014 06:22 PM

Welcome to Ferrari Life. Not a 360 owner, but an F1 575M owner. If I were you I would not hesitate to drive her home. It is a great time to bond with your car. On three of my Ferraris, they were bought out of state (or out of country) and driven an average of 1000 miles home. You will really enjoy the trip. A nice cruise at highway speeds is absolutely no problem for a modern Ferrari, even one 10 years old.

BluNart 07-03-2014 06:33 PM

We drive our '01 360 200+ miles frequently and is a solid choice for comfort too. Just be sure to have the tool kit with tow loop in case you run into any trouble.

Enjoy the ride - might be a white knuckle one being your first (mine was too!) but that settles quick. Watch your speed; you don't need to draw any more attention than she already brings on your maiden voyage.

Share your experience after delivery?

Jimmy540i.com 07-03-2014 07:03 PM

Welcome! 200 miles, you going to be fine. Make sure to check your coolant level before you head out. After you get your back-up lights fixed, I would recommend some LED back-up bulbs. Day & Night difference, see here:

FERRARI LED REVERSE LIGHTS for FERRARI 360 MODENA / 360 SPIDER

BEFORE & AFTER:
http://www.jimmy540i.com/ferrari_led...e_lights_2.jpg

Cheers & have a good & safe 4th weekend!

:thumbsup:

Jimmy540i

Fiorano 07-04-2014 12:12 AM

Welcome to Ferrari Life and congrats on your new 360.

You will be just fine. Enjoy the trip. I'm about 2,000 km into a 5,000 km month long trip in my 360 and 612. These cars are well able for long miles and epic road trips. In fact I think it does them (and their drivers) good! :) :steeringwheel:

Just remember to bring your camera. We love pics here :)

Mozella 07-04-2014 12:27 AM

My 360 was inactive for a while before I bought it. The back up lights didn't always come on; however, after using it for a while the problem healed itself. I'm guessing that the switch contacts were dirty and shifting into reverse on a regular basis eventually fixed the problem. Now they work every time.

Too late now, but for other first time buyers I recommend downloading the owners manual and giving the section about driving and control operation a good once-over a few days BEFORE you pick up the car.

575er 07-04-2014 12:33 AM

Indyheel, you will be fine, and that feeling of anticipation and nerves is what it is all about and will quickly turn to an overwhelming happiness....I've laughed out loud more than once driving on my own. I still get that nervous anticipation every time I drive a new Ferrari. Also in a new, but second hand car it always takes time to build confidence when you first have it and the best way is getting some miles under your belt.

As mentioned make sure you have the tool kit and towing eye just in case, and fiddle with all the controls before you leave so you have them at least where you think you want them. Lastly, try to get in a few B roads to really get to know the car. Then enjoy, oh and post some photos.

Cheers
Michael

Killer58 07-04-2014 01:51 AM

Indy,
First, enjoy the trip, it will be one you'll never forget.
Two, familiarize yourself with all the controls, esp how to open the bonnet, engine bay, gas door, etc. Know the mechanical back-ups as well.
Three, take a new spare battery for the remote. Nothing worse than the battery going dead in the middle of a trip. Ask me how I know....
Four, as in aviation, as you get familiar with the car, you'll notice all sorts of sounds you didn't realize at first. Know that this is normal.
Five, try not to stop the hood (top) mid-cycle. While it shouldn't harm it, it can get a little fussy and require a couple complete cycles to smooth its operation
Finally, I recommend taking an OBD-II reader and your mechanics phone number. Should you get a warning light during the trip, it's nice to be able to get the code and advice on what to do.
Again, enjoy the trip. Five years later, I remember mine as if it were yesterday.

16M Down Under 07-04-2014 03:59 AM

Hi,

Enjoy the drive. Wow, we mother these cars! Please don't think me as obtrusive but the - OBD readers, tow loops and mechanic's numbers for a 200km drive?? It's like the instructions for your two month's old first baby sitter! I know that this is all great advice but shouldn't we be forcing the manufacturer to step up with reliability if it is required? It seems to me like we are all in fear of our cars failing!

My daily drive is a Hyundai IX35 for the past 2 years. 100,000+ k's, routine servicing, without any worries! Makes ya think huh!

I need to see a psych to try to convince me to drive my 16M the same way!

I reckon we should all just 'go for it' and complain bitterly if reliability is indeed an issue.

David.

Gary R. 07-04-2014 07:35 AM

Funny, I picked up my 03 Spider yesterday and drove her 100+ miles home in NASTY traffic, ran great! I wouldn't hesitate, just read the owners manual so you know what switch does what. My only "problem" was getting the alarm fob double click timed right so she would start after getting gas for the first time...

netman 07-04-2014 11:16 AM

Get yourself AAA premier membership and enjoy the drive / bonding time with your new mistress.

anconbrat 07-04-2014 01:24 PM

Picked up my 360 in Atlanta and drove it to central Florida. A little nervous, yes, but so enjoyable. A great get acquainted ride. Don't forget your cell phone and have a pleasant drive. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Killer58 07-04-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16M Down Under (Post 440690)
Please don't think me as obtrusive but the - OBD readers, tow loops and mechanic's numbers for a 200km drive?? It seems to me like we are all in fear of our cars failing!

My daily drive is a Hyundai IX35 for the past 2 years. 100,000+ k's, routine servicing, without any worries! Makes ya think huh!

I reckon we should all just 'go for it' and complain bitterly if reliability is indeed an issue.

David.

David, my advice really has nothing to do with reliability. His Spider is now 13 years old. Reliable or not, it's an unknown quantity. My advice is geared toward minimizing the risk should something go wrong, or of making it worse. I've driven my Land Rover 90 miles with no water pump or generator. But I wouldn't think of driving my Spider around the block with a CEL light if I didn't know the cause wasn't serious.

Jimmy540i.com 07-04-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netman (Post 440970)
Get yourself AAA premier membership and enjoy the drive / bonding time with your new mistress.

Now that's 1 great tip, premium AAA gets me like 4 free tows a year (Bikes & Cars counted separate I believe) at 100~200 (?) miles per tow and other benifits. Gotta have it.

indyheel 07-04-2014 08:10 PM

Unfortunately, the car wasn't quite ready for pick up. The shop called and the switch for the hood release won't be in 'till Monday. Will now pick it up next Saturday. Thanks for all the great advice! I will definitely sign up for AAA Premium and hope I'll never use it. I'll post pics when I get it home. I'm a long time Porsche owner and PCA member, but a Ferrari has always been the dream. This seems like a great forum. Looking forward to joining the Ferrari Life community!

tazandjan 07-04-2014 08:22 PM

Look forward to hearing about your drive home and seeing photos of your new girlfriend.

Gary R. 07-04-2014 08:48 PM

From one PCA member (and PCA national DE Instructor) to another, welcome and I will say one nice trip and you will never look back... I have a hard time walking in the house and leaving her out in the garage.. :D

360 Modena 07-07-2014 11:55 AM

1358 Attachment(s)
Have fun on the drive! Two hundred miles is nothing. Just try to kick back and enjoy the ride, and heed Killer's sage advice. AAA is a plus.

Ingenere 07-07-2014 10:53 PM

The trip will be a non-event. You are picking up an inspected and fully serviced car. How bad can it be? I've picked up the following and driven home without any problems:

TR..... Menominee MI to AZ
Mondial t...... Rochester, NY to AZ
F40........ Orange County, CA to AZ..... 3:20mins
Lotus Esprit turbo....... NJ to AZ

And that's what I remember. Drive the car. You'll be fine.

brettc 07-10-2014 08:24 PM

I drive mine on 200-300 mile trips every other weekend or so....you'll be fine...enjoy the new baby...drove mine home 350 miles after I flew down that morning!