F430 LED daytime running light - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2014, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
FFB

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
LED daytime running light

Does anyone know of a source to convert the light strip on F430 to LED to be used as daytime running light? What I found so far involves cutting, soldering and such. Looking for any plug and play solution. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,339
Hi FFB,
I've been working on this project since quite a while and manufactered many different prototypes. I must say that converting these parking lights into real DRLs is mission impossible. The brighter you go with LED, the more you'll have to cool them off. Real DRLs need a very high level of brightness and without a massive heat sink, they just won't last long. The problem is that there is no way to fit a serious heat sink through the 1cm diameter hole. So I abandonned the idea of trying to fit there DRLs.

But I'm getting very close now to a solution that will illuminate the entire light tunnel in a very smooth uniform way without the usual LED hot spots. They will be very bright, much brighter than any cheap LED strip but I can't pretend they will be as bright as DRLs. They will still keep their original role as parking/position lights but in a much improved way
post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Stef - does that mean that they won't go on automatically when the key is on? For those of us who live where DRL's aren't mandatory, having some type of illuminated LED on whenever the car is running would, in my opinion, give the car a more modern appearance because many newer cars have that.

Rich

2006 F430 Spyder, 2011 Carrera S & 2006 BMW M3
Member FCA Florida, Suncoast PCA & BMWCCA

post #4 of 7 Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Hi FFB,
But I'm getting very close now to a solution that will illuminate the entire light tunnel in a very smooth uniform way without the usual LED hot spots.
I'm subscribing this thread for an update
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Owner

Thanks Ronnie and welcome to FerrariLife
post #6 of 7 Old 06-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBFL View Post
Stef - does that mean that they won't go on automatically when the key is on? For those of us who live where DRL's aren't mandatory, having some type of illuminated LED on whenever the car is running would, in my opinion, give the car a more modern appearance because many newer cars have that.
Hi Rich, actually, we have already launched the product (ILUAL-DRL) that switch on automatically the low beam lights once the engine has been started. This product can be used also to do the same just for the parking lights. By DRL I meant more that it will be impossible to achieve the same high level of brightness with a LED version of the F430 front parking lights. My LED version I'm working on will still be very bright and will provide an uniform illumination of the headlight tunnel but it can't be at the same level of the so called LED DRL's.

Once I've achieved the new LED product for the parking headlights, it will be straight forward to offer a package that includes also our already existing ILUAL-DRL electronic module to make them go on automatically.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2014, 12:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Thank you for the explanation and update. I look forward to your new product announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Hi Rich, actually, we have already launched the product (ILUAL-DRL) that switch on automatically the low beam lights once the engine has been started. This product can be used also to do the same just for the parking lights. By DRL I meant more that it will be impossible to achieve the same high level of brightness with a LED version of the F430 front parking lights. My LED version I'm working on will still be very bright and will provide an uniform illumination of the headlight tunnel but it can't be at the same level of the so called LED DRL's.

Once I've achieved the new LED product for the parking headlights, it will be straight forward to offer a package that includes also our already existing ILUAL-DRL electronic module to make them go on automatically.

Rich

2006 F430 Spyder, 2011 Carrera S & 2006 BMW M3
Member FCA Florida, Suncoast PCA & BMWCCA

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode