F430 Better Designed/Lighter F430 Exhaust Tips - Ferrari Life
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 416
Better Designed/Lighter F430 Exhaust Tips

Whilst I love the sound of my F430 Spider, taking off the exhaust tailpipes/tips to be welded this week made me realise how 1) heavy the are 2) the design is less than optimal. I don't want to change anything but the tips/tailpipes nor sound but thinking about something else. Does anyone have any experience with this system from Fuchs or something similar please, I need to have valves ??
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Vs. OEM
Attached Images

Last edited by RichardCH; 05-10-2014 at 05:59 AM.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I have ordered a set of these Fuchs tailpipes, the OEM 430 ones are just so WRONG from a DESIGN and WEIGHT perspective, they fit the OEM F430 Cats and Muffler, lets see

post #4 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
In terms of design, I don't really see a revolution in these Fuchs tailpipes as they route the exhaust gases exactly in the same way as stock. The inner pipe for the straight way out of exhaust gases still has 2 bends. Do you know the weight difference? Maybe a little change in sound too? Please let us know how they fit
post #5 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

When you remove the OEM tailpipes, you will be astounded at how heavy they are, These 2 STEEL tailpipes together weigh a cool 14 KG (30lbs) suspended from a central Location, EACH 67 CM LONG (26 inches) without any structural triangular support is fundamentally, from an engineering perspective, WRONG in my view. I am doing this switch primarily from a weight perspective. As for Sound my 430 Spider with Capristo headers (no cats) and K&N air filters etc is already bordering on being too loud & the OEM tailpipes & tips are a mangle of brackets and welds which only create vibrations. Had the OEM Versions been titanium it would have been a completely different matter .....

Last edited by RichardCH; 05-22-2014 at 01:34 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

At least with the SCUD/16M any (reduced) weight from the redesigned tailpipes is all centrally located
post #7 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

ok system arrived today, weighs 5.8KG per side, Looks very well made, fits easily, yet to test the sound
Attached Images

post #8 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

you will notice that with the oem system the large pipe is circa 20mm wider than the smaller one, here they are both the same larger diameter
f430s likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Post some pics on the car.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I will but of course they also look massively better unless you are into poor industrial design
post #11 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
Looks much better!!!!!!! Would be superb if the redesigned tips make a significant difference in the soundtrack.
post #12 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

OK out for quite a few drives today, sound is very similar with the valves closed but with them open its genuinely louder and not only that you get, some gurgles on changing down through the box on overrun. Pretty sure Fuchs are the supplier for Novitec. I did have a small fitting issue with the offside exhaust valve pipe and I'll show you how I solved it. Have a massive smile on my face
post #13 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

here are some pics installed
Attached Images

post #14 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
Looks awesome
post #15 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Owner

Looks great Richard, thanks for sharing. And you reduced more than half the weight of the stock exhaust tips. I may be interested to install this too.

I'm interested to know more about the fitting issue you had. They you buy them directly from Fuchs Germany? Their website doesn't explain too much about these exhaust tips neither what the price is.
post #16 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
The tips look nice. What do you consider to be poor in the OEM design?

Is it just the weight? I think you state the OEM tips are 14kgs a pair and the news ones are 5.8kg each. That doesn't seem much of a weight saving.
post #17 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

no but every KG helps and any engineer who looked at the OEM design would find it somewhat suboptimal & amongst looking ugly that's why over time it rattles and breaks, already subject to 1 recall
post #18 of 23 Old 06-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Owner

Thanks Aldous for making me aware that actually the weight saving is only 2kg. I misread Richard's post. Half weight would have been very interesting especially when it is suspended

With such design, don't you feel any increase of back pressure and loss of HP? The Tachs look more restrictive than the stock double straight pipes.
post #19 of 23 Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Yes weight saving is 2.4 KG in total but the design is much more solid. Same design in titanium would really do the job I guess.

I guess for the sound, with the exhaust valve open, it now has 2 equally large pipes to exit through.

I have a found a recording sound clip app, it won't be great quality but you will get the idea
post #20 of 23 Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCH View Post
no but every KG helps and any engineer who looked at the OEM design would find it somewhat suboptimal & amongst looking ugly that's why over time it rattles and breaks, already subject to 1 recall
I agree the OEM tips aren't that attractive and your replacements are much better looking however I struggle to see where the design is suboptimal (although I am not a practicing engineer these days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCH View Post
Yes weight saving is 2.4 KG in total but the design is much more solid. Same design in titanium would really do the job I guess.

I guess for the sound, with the exhaust valve open, it now has 2 equally large pipes to exit through.

I have a found a recording sound clip app, it won't be great quality but you will get the idea
I would wager that if these were made from Ti they'd crack fairly quickly. For ultra lightwieght exhausts you want to be looking at inconel as a material.

With regard to the joined up tail pipes... For the OEM design, when the valve is open a small amount of exhaust gas will still be flowing through the silencer and out of the non-valved tip. By joining the tips you make the pressure differential across the silencer the same so no gas will pass through it. Does this make the joined tips better or worse? I'm not sure!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode