F430 Help with SD3 Readout - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Help with SD3 Readout

When I purchased my new to me 2006 F430 a couple of weeks ago I had specified that it would include an SD3 printout. When I picked it up I forgot to ask for it and the dealer didn’t mention it. I now have it, 18 pages, but am not exactly certain what to look for. Can someone give me an idea of the most important items to look for? The VIN is ZFFEW59A060148060 and the car has 9,000 miles on it. Software version is MC_L_04, software date is Oct 19, 2004 and the software loader version is 18:59:3.

There’s a page that shows Parameters/Errors that caught my attention. Errors shown on it are as follow.

• B1005 Suspension failure (invalid signal) – DTC warning lamp illuminated – I have no warning lights illuminated
• P1611 Permanent Power Supply (cylinder bank 2) Too low – DTC not present at time of request
• P02 Stored Transponder
• P1602 Permanent power Supply Too Low – DTC Fault Symptom – Below minimum threshold
• U1706 Lost communication with NFR (Invalid Signal)

This was run at 11:19:34. At 11:19:21 is says DTC deletion performed.

I downloaded a PDF with error codes, but couldn’t find B1005 . There was a B9005 that said failure from the suspension ECU. There were a number of P02XX codes but none that were only P02. P1611 and P1602 seems to indicate low voltage of the battery. The battery was replaced new by the dealer a couple of weeks before I picked up the car. It may have gotten low from sitting around in the showroom. I haven’t had a starting problem, but will recharge it to be safe. U1706 said communication with the CAN was in progress, so that sounds like a temporary condition.

The car also had a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing installed

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Time to go shopping for an OBD reader.

Rich

2006 F430 Spyder, 2011 Carrera S & 2006 BMW M3
Member FCA Florida, Suncoast PCA & BMWCCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
They all sound like transient errors caused by the battery's low voltage. Recorded, but no longer active. They can be cleared a couple of ways, but having the dealer do it with the SD3 may give you the warmest, fuzziest feel that they are no longer a problem.

Hopefully the pros or Stef will chime in.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Taz. Based upon your contributions here and elsewhere, I consider you a "pro."

Rich

post #4 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Those are all related to the battery slowly dying while the car sat. It's quite normal to see due to the complexity of the electronics in the modern cars.

As Taz said, having all modules cleared of these faults now that the car is yours is a good place to start. I would say it's wise to be prepared and not surprised if you do see a couple fault lights pop up for things like TPMS and such. If no one took the time to reset and reprogram the modules or if the car sat for a while again after the battery was replaced or if it was simply re-charged and starts to die again, you will experience some voltage related false fault warnings.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Rich- As the pros will tell you, I am far from one. Just read a lot of tech data, which sometimes leads me down the garden path until a pro with experience straightens things out.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,341
Hi Rich,
Send me the entire printout by email and I will do an analysis of it. Some errors are perfectly normal when the engine is not running or the car isn't moving.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Owner

Rich, thanks, I went quickly through your file and checked first the different error codes you've mentioned.

P1611 & P1602 : Motronic ECU's were underpowered at KEY ON. There are stored errors which happened before the SD3 readout and was never deleted. Errors were caused by a very weak battery. During the SD3 readout, your voltage is fine (12.315V - engine not running).

P02: Immobilizer ECU - same as above.

U1706: NCS Suspension ECU can't communicate on the CAN Bus with the ABS ECU (NFR). This error is detected when your engine is running and the car is moving. This was a stored error not currently present and there is a high chance it was related to the battery issues you had.

B1005: Error always present when the engine isn't running and the car isn't moving. This is normal.

Actually, all is fine, no worries When you've a chance, your dealer can clear the above DTC errors since your battery has now been replaced.

I will dig a bit deeper in the different F1 & Motronic stored values to check all is fine and your car is running in a healthy way Most interesting are the total running time (347 hours) vs total miles vs number of gear selections (your car has almost never been driven in the 6th gear and most in second gear). Left vs right engine banks values are also interesting to be compared.

Regarding the OBD reader, please be aware that you won't be able to read most of these Ferrari specific codes. Only a SD3 or equivalent can access such info. But the OBD reader is still useful when you have a CEL (Check Engine Light) and you want to know why.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 86
hi stef will you be able to recommend which obd reader get? Thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Owner

There are many good solutions available on the market. My preference still goes to scantool. They are launching a new OBD MX WIFI that seems to be promising. I followed this project on Kick Starter. Otherwise, the KIWI is still a good solution and works very well with DashCommand on iPhone.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Stef - I went back through the SD3 report and can see your point about 2nd gear engagements being much greater than the higher gears. I didn't see anything about left vs right bank rpms. Can you tell me what you were looking at?

Thank you.

Rich

post #11 of 11 Old 09-06-2015, 07:30 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Any updates on this? I've been having these lately:

U1706 - Lost communication with NFR (Invalid Signal)
U1607 - ECU Fail Status B_NFR" (Above Maximum Threshold)

Is it just the weak battery?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode