360 Pre Inspection - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Pre Inspection

The dealer said that they would do the PPI; that I would get a 101 point inspection report on a 2001 360. This is as much car as I can afford. I'm happy to pay for a PPI but the dealer said that no car leaves the dealership that isn't inspected and in good condition. Is that standard operating procedure in Ferrari world?

Thank you.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 06:57 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Better to have an independent party do your inspection...not saying the shop is dishonest but they do have a desire to sell the car at the least repair cost. How will you feel if your trust them and then after the purchase something costly happens? Even if they are not responsible? PPI is not a guarantee but for $300 or so I would have someone else give it a test drive and look over.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
I found the 101 point inspection incomplete for a like model car and if performed by the seller you're not gaining an independent point of view.

If you cannot afford an independent inspection one might conclude you cannot afford not to have one.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe

post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
360 purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiechi View Post
The dealer said that they would do the PPI; that I would get a 101 point inspection report on a 2001 360. This is as much car as I can afford. I'm happy to pay for a PPI but the dealer said that no car leaves the dealership that isn't inspected and in good condition. Is that standard operating procedure in Ferrari world?

Thank you.

Frank
Frank...I wish you the best with your purchase effort, but you have already read that an independent PPI or great documentation is a must. Perhaps previous owner contact? Is this the exact model (F1 or manual) you want? Hope it all works out for you.

Don
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Comment

Frank:

Have already sent you a PM, read it.

Also reread the comments by the three men who posted above me. They all offer good advice.

One of the question to ask yourself before committing to purchase this car is, "If something goes to hell once I own this car can I afford a $5K bill?" It might not happen, it might be less, and I hope it is not more.

What you are hoping for is that the previous owner(s) took care of the car and had all the maintenance done when it was supposed to be done. A good PPI will go some to answer that question for you, but do not expect it to be fool proof.

As most Ferrai owners will tell you, things happen when you own a Ferrari, some times strange things.

Good luck
ceb39
post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thank you all for your kindness. This is a 70th birthday present to myself and I am very excited about it. The people at the Ferrari dealership all seem very nice; of course, I recognize that I must be vigilant and have already contacted a well respected Ferrari service shop on Long Island (NY) to set up a visit to inspect the car. I've owned seven BMWs and must say that those of you who responded to me by and large were very kind and generous with your advice. You don't always find that in automobile chat rooms regardless of the marque.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Car

I was 73 when I bought my Ferrari, oh sh*t, our Ferrari, have to include the wife, she has grown to like the car. But she is also on my butt to sell it and buy the one I really wanted, red/tan. Have a red/blk one now.

Her advice, and it always the same, "Are you going to save your money and leave it to the kids. You can bet they will all have new cars before you are cold in the ground. Spend it and enjoy what you buy with the money."

Buy the car, provided you think it is a good one. Just know going into it the car is going to cost you money. But think of it as spending your kids inheritance, not your money.

I remember the advice my father gave me, "When you are old, and think back. You will probably regret the things you did not do, rather that the things you did do."

ceb39
post #8 of 8 Old 04-12-2014, 01:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
You MUST have some qualified person to inspect your prospective purchase other then the man selling you the car. This could be you if you're qualified. It could be an independent mechanic that you hire. Or it could be another Ferrari owner, IF he's qualified. Make sure you know the real condition of the car and make sure the sales price reflects that condition. Surprises are never good and can be very expensive.

Most, or at least many, Ferrari owners make sure they're in a financial position to have 5 or 10 thousand bucks in ready cash because that is what it might take to fix a problem which is not catastrophic. Many of us have also given some very serious thought to what happens when you break a cam drive belt, for example. That is considered catastrophic and putting things right is unlikely to cost less than 20K and repair costs might get up around 50K if it REALLY goes wrong.

Having said that, I would say if you can justify owning a Ferrari, don't pass up the chance. Just don't buy one without your eyes wide open.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode