F430 Thoughts on this + price - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Thoughts on this + price

Hi All,

Long time viewer of the boards, but I just joined up as I am planning on joining the F430 club.

I went to see this car recently; looks in mint condition and it really seems to be the best value F430 out there (compared with all on AUtotrader).

Anything to be wary of ?

Used Ferrari F430 Convertible Spider 2dr in Hinckley, Leicestershire | Choice Vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Looks like a very well equipped F430 Spider, but I cannot help you much on prices across the pond. Good luck and hope she is the one for you.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Looks like a very well equipped F430 Spider, but I cannot help you much on prices across the pond. Good luck and hope she is the one for you.
Thanks a lot :-)

I am heading over the pond next Saturday ! Hope to have this by then though

post #4 of 17 Old 04-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 117
The price is bang on the average for that mileage. I do a monthly analysis of UK 430 prices over on this thread: F430 Market Watch - PistonHeads

I also have a work in progress buying guide here: Buying Guide | Aldous Voice
post #5 of 17 Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicey View Post
The price is bang on the average for that mileage. I do a monthly analysis of UK 430 prices over on this thread: F430 Market Watch - PistonHeads

I also have a work in progress buying guide here: Buying Guide | Aldous Voice
Great Thanks so much for that info - great info !!
post #6 of 17 Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Amazing F430. The color combination on the interior is very nice as far as i'm concerned. Personally i'm not a fan of the interior cf panels and the cf challenge grill but that's up to everyone's taste. I think the price is fair but a PPI from a mechanic you know and trust is a MUST! Also it would be good to use the Ferrari diagnostic tool to see if everything is right. As for the price as i said i think it is fair but there is always some room for a bit of negotiation. Good luck with the search. Greetings from Greece,Alex.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-10-2014, 12:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
I think the price is a little on the high side with the mileage, and its an average spec with iron brakes.
Do lots of research on potential issues with exhaust brackets cracking, hood mech and f1 clutch - these are pretty much the only issue with these cars..... and you potentially have all three with that car!! PPI would be a good plan as you need to know what sort of clutch life you have left . Also have a real good look at the rams that operate the hood and if there is any thing leaking or even the slightest issue with the hood mech then get it fixed as part of the sale or walk away as this can be a real expensive load of work.
Doesn't look like the dealer is a Ferrari "expert" so if the car does need any work to bring up to spec I would insist its done by a dealer or reputable independent - for example any clutch work needs Ferrari software to set bite point etc, you need to know what you are doing with these cars and in my opinion buying from a second hand car outfit is little better than buying private sale.
You also need a good contingency budget in case anything goes wrong. These cant be run on a budget even if you do some diy and unless you have at least 10k in back up (20k would be better) - then I wouldn't buy any Ferrari.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Simon- F430 F1 clutch is a new twin plate design and therefore much less troublesome and much tougher than the 360's single plate clutch. Reverse gear is also higher ratio (lower speed) than the 360's and this tends to not wear the clutch as badly as it would on the 360.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-10-2014, 01:24 PM

Taz You are one of the most helpful guys on the forums so keep posting. Yes I am aware of the better twin plate in the 430's but mindfull that this post is about someone's potential first Ferrari I would want him to go into it with his eyes wide open, hence my "down beat" or alarmist view.

Its very easy to get seduced by a sexy red car especially if its the first one you have driven !!!
You don't see many in the UK so when you see one they are so special.
Simon
post #10 of 17 Old 04-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Simon- Affirmative on that.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #11 of 17 Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Taz & Simon !!

Thank you so much for your information.

I am going to see it tomorrow and will check some things. It has just had a service at Ferrari so will check the report sheets there. Also, it recently had a clutch change so should be fine for a couple of years as I won't be driving it too much :-)

There is nothing I can do about the price unfortunately. The cheapest alternative I can find with similar miles is even more expensive !

Will report back !

Thanks
post #12 of 17 Old 04-11-2014, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
I think the price is a little on the high side with the mileage, and its an average spec with iron brakes.
Do lots of research on potential issues with exhaust brackets cracking, hood mech and f1 clutch - these are pretty much the only issue with these cars..... and you potentially have all three with that car!! PPI would be a good plan as you need to know what sort of clutch life you have left . Also have a real good look at the rams that operate the hood and if there is any thing leaking or even the slightest issue with the hood mech then get it fixed as part of the sale or walk away as this can be a real expensive load of work.
Doesn't look like the dealer is a Ferrari "expert" so if the car does need any work to bring up to spec I would insist its done by a dealer or reputable independent - for example any clutch work needs Ferrari software to set bite point etc, you need to know what you are doing with these cars and in my opinion buying from a second hand car outfit is little better than buying private sale.
You also need a good contingency budget in case anything goes wrong. These cant be run on a budget even if you do some diy and unless you have at least 10k in back up (20k would be better) - then I wouldn't buy any Ferrari.
Hi Simon,

I have some cash reserves so no worries there.

The two cars that are very similar to this (spec wise, age & mileage) are here and here

Don't think it's a bad price considering :-)
post #13 of 17 Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 AM

I just had look at those recent adds and either prices have gone up a little due to the sunshine or I just got lucky with my car. At he end of the day I think it is worth paying a few thousand extra for the car that's in real good nick and or is your dream spec. If you buy a cheaper car that needs even a little bit of work you will just eat up a few thousand on next to nothing.
Buy your dream and enjoy as you are a long time dead !!! Everyone will enjoy your car, as just seeing it is special. You should also get ready for some weird stuff ...... on Monday I just emptied my wallet filling up and a 50 year old woman said "this is absolutely beautiful" and she kneelt down in front of the car and took a selfie with the nose badge as background !!! random stuff like this will happen all the time and its great !!!
Simon
post #14 of 17 Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Also my killer move whenever I buy a car new or second hand from dealer, is to get the best price you can, and at the point of signing the contract, stop, look worried, and then push the contract back across the desk to the salesman and then carefully place the pen on the desk between the contract and the salesman saying " I just don't know if I can spend this much" - pause for a moment - then say " I there anything else you can do ?"
This works every time and the look on the salesman's face is priceless. I have had free guarantees, extra carpets, tow bars, extra cash discounts, higher trade in value on the old car, and often a combination of these. When I got a new elise I used my trick and then got leather seats and a detachable motorsport steering wheel for free, (these were the only available extras), a free labour cost on the second service and an extra 250 trade in on and old banger I wanted to get rid of. And this was on a car that had a waiting list....... salesman are suckers !!!!!
Simon
post #15 of 17 Old 04-11-2014, 10:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
Also my killer move whenever I buy a car new or second hand from dealer, is to get the best price you can, and at the point of signing the contract, stop, look worried, and then push the contract back across the desk to the salesman and then carefully place the pen on the desk between the contract and the salesman saying " I just don't know if I can spend this much" - pause for a moment - then say " I there anything else you can do ?"
This works every time and the look on the salesman's face is priceless. I have had free guarantees, extra carpets, tow bars, extra cash discounts, higher trade in value on the old car, and often a combination of these. When I got a new elise I used my trick and then got leather seats and a detachable motorsport steering wheel for free, (these were the only available extras), a free labour cost on the second service and an extra 250 trade in on and old banger I wanted to get rid of. And this was on a car that had a waiting list....... salesman are suckers !!!!!
Simon
for this. Maybe we should make this reply a sticky thread so that everyone gets to know the trick,what do you think guys?
post #16 of 17 Old 04-12-2014, 02:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
It may work sometimes, but not always.
When I bought my Spider, there were other buyers waiting (and willing to pay more).
This tactic would have resulted in one of them buying it instead.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-12-2014, 05:02 AM

OK if there is literally queue of people in the dealers offering more then you are in a weak negotiating position.
How do you know they were willing to pay more ? If the salesman told you this he is probably lying !!! If other people were willing to pay more your dealer would have made an excuse and sold the car to someone else, as he is only interested in his profit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode