F430 Engine Bay Temperatures - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-30-2014, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
voicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Engine Bay Temperatures

Further to my Project F430 thread I thought it would be useful to split the discussion on engine bay temperatures onto a separate thread.

I have a F430 with Agency Power headers which have been ceramic coated. They do not have any heat shielding or blankets (yet). In order to monitor how temperatures in the engine bay stack up I bought some temperature sensing strips from this supplier.

I have 2 on the fuel rails, 2 inside the ECU heat shield, 2 on the engine bay trim, 1 on the AC compressor, 1 on the starter, 1 on the gearbox and 1 on the silencer.
Attached Images
               
voicey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 03-30-2014, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
voicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 117
As you can see from the last picture above I am getting a reading of 210C on the silencer. All of the other strips that I can see (engine bay panels, fuel rails, gearbox, starter motor) have not registered a reading. This is because the strips are for quite high temperatures - I have ordered some lower ranges ones which will be here next week.

It should be noted that is is about 18-20C here in the UK at the moment.

However, Stef is getting a much lower reading on his silencer so I am intrigued. I would have thought that with all his insulation around the headers he would have a higher reading as I am potentially emitting more heat from my headers.

I do have a faulty RHS temperature probe so that is getting changed next week. I will then use the new strips to get some accurate readings and take it from there.

It would be interesting/useful for the community for others to get some strips and contribute readings to this thread.
voicey is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
voicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 117
I have replaced my RHS thermocouple which has stopped the "Slow Down" message appearing when cold. After taking the car out for a test drive I tested the temperature of the fuel tanks with my hand - they were stone cold. The heat shielding protecting them is very thick and seems to be holding up.

I put in some lower range temperature strips and moved some of the higher range ones to the cats and engine frame. I also replaced the strip on the silencer.

I have a service due on the 26th April so will be taking all the panels off then so we'll see what temperatures I've recorded.
Attached Images
                 
voicey is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Gloucester UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 26
I haven't tried temp strips to see how hot it gets, but with the capristo twin sound silencer the carbon engine bay panel (rear bottom piece that is closets to the tail pipe bend) is getting very hot to the point where it is starting to discolour. Has anyone else had this ?


I also have the capristo manifolds and the blankets seem to keep everything else in the engine bay a lot cooler than the standard manifolds.
The most concern to me would be the manifolds heating the fuel tanks so can you get a temp strip between the manifold and the lower sides of the engine bay ? I will try and stick some in my car.
sssdu01 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
voicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
I haven't tried temp strips to see how hot it gets, but with the capristo twin sound silencer the carbon engine bay panel (rear bottom piece that is closets to the tail pipe bend) is getting very hot to the point where it is starting to discolour. Has anyone else had this ?


I also have the capristo manifolds and the blankets seem to keep everything else in the engine bay a lot cooler than the standard manifolds.
The most concern to me would be the manifolds heating the fuel tanks so can you get a temp strip between the manifold and the lower sides of the engine bay ? I will try and stick some in my car.
It would be possible to stick a strip to the heat shield between the tank and the manifold but there's not enough space to get one on the tank itself. I'm not sure what data you'd gain from knowing how hot the heat shield gets.
voicey is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 04-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Owner
 
BluNart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Very 'cool' post.

Do you notice any difference in the readings after driving and engine off? Heat soak has been interesting temp monitoring with a heat gun - in particular is 8-10min after engine off and engine bay cover closed.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
BluNart is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 04-06-2014, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
voicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Very 'cool' post.

Do you notice any difference in the readings after driving and engine off? Heat soak has been interesting temp monitoring with a heat gun - in particular is 8-10min after engine off and engine bay cover closed.
I've not done any measuring under these conditions, however heat soak is a real issue for me. I live close to the centre of London and it is easy to get caught in a traffic jam. Sitting still with the engine running or crawling along at 5mph means the temperatures rocket.
voicey is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sweden
Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Free flow exhaust manifolds transfer more heat to the end of the exhaust system. Rgds///Thomas
C311 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
voicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by C311 View Post
Free flow exhaust manifolds transfer more heat to the end of the exhaust system. Rgds///Thomas
Thank you, I am aware of this. However, it wouldn't explain the differences between the temperatures that Stef sees and mine as we are both running de-restricted manifolds.

I'm thinking that the temperatures are due to heat soak from being stopped in traffic. Prior to the readings above I was caught up in a jam and moving very slowly for about 30 mins.
voicey is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sweden
Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicey View Post
Thank you, I am aware of this. However, it wouldn't explain the differences between the temperatures that Stef sees and mine as we are both running de-restricted manifolds.

I'm thinking that the temperatures are due to heat soak from being stopped in traffic. Prior to the readings above I was caught up in a jam and moving very slowly for about 30 mins.
A time difference between the time the exhaust valves are open. They dont open in traffic jam. Do you both use the same type of catalysts? Rgds///Thomas
C311 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
voicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by C311 View Post
A time difference between the time the exhaust valves are open. They dont open in traffic jam. Do you both use the same type of catalysts? Rgds///Thomas
That is a very good point and one that I hadn't considered.

I believe we both have stock cats.
voicey is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Stef has the Capristo bypass valve kit on his F430, so could look at the difference. There is no doubt the bypass valves increase backpressure when closed, and that will increase temperatures back along the exhaust system. Lack of airflow could be a factor, too.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
voicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Stef has the Capristo bypass valve kit on his F430, so could look at the difference. There is no doubt the bypass valves increase backpressure when closed, and that will increase temperatures back along the exhaust system. Lack of airflow could be a factor, too.
Another good point - thanks Terry. I will look at being able to control the valves manually so I can keep them open in heavy traffic.
voicey is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sweden
Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicey View Post
Another good point - thanks Terry. I will look at being able to control the valves manually so I can keep them open in heavy traffic.
Be careful to have them open on idle. The cops might write you a ticket for loud exhaust.
Bypass valves work different on F430 vs 360. F430 bypass the silencer while 360 open a second tailpipe from the silencer. It dont make that much temp difference on idle with valves open or closed. I dont know how the Capristo kit works but ideal would be to open the valves at throttle opening and at a specific rpm. I guess stock setting open the valves at 6500 rpm (legal noise 8500 x 0.75 = 6375 rpm) and not below 60 km/h (37 mph) Rgds///Thomas

Last edited by C311; 04-07-2014 at 08:34 AM.
C311 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Owner
 
StefVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Stef has the Capristo bypass valve kit on his F430, so could look at the difference. There is no doubt the bypass valves increase backpressure when closed, and that will increase temperatures back along the exhaust system. Lack of airflow could be a factor, too.
Terry, I think what really makes a big difference are the heat shield covers around the headers. On the picture I posted the max temperature measured directly on the cover is 'only' 182C. They really keep the engine bay much cooler even when idling in traffic jams valves open or closed.
StefVan is online now  
post #16 of 16 Old 06-05-2015, 08:45 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Did either of you come to a consensus regarding the operating temperature of the header and the cat section? I work in the high temp insulation industry and I am going to get custom blankets made for the entire length, although it will likely be in two separate covers per side. The material I am thinking about using on the inside of the cover is Aerogel Pyrogel but it's limitations are 650 celcius or 1200 deg F. 10mm thick.
martiy1971 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale