F430 Exhaust Bypass Controller Kit - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Exhaust Bypass Controller Kit

Hello All,

I am trying to start my little cottage industry and have created an Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller Kit for the Ferrari and Maserati vehicles that have factory installed exhaust bypass valves ... actually the vacuum solenoids that control the bypass valves.

Capristo makes remote controllers ... $650 ... mine is far less $$ and actually can be configured to use either a remote control transmitter (key fob) or to use a manual on/off switch to be installed in the passenger compartment.

I have made up a few of the units now and two people have acquired them ... I am awaiting comments. I have also installed this on my own car (a 2004 360 Modena)

I am not going to get rich with this endeavor ... but I retired 6 months ago and this might keep me off the streets and out of trouble.

Would love to hear from fellow Ferrari owners and I invite you visit my web site ... Forza Componenti
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller One Page Flyer.pdf (325.3 KB, 290 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,353
Excellent Steve, you did a great job to make your product mature and with a lot care on the details! You have all my support and I will people let know about your solution. Well done Steve!
post #3 of 33 Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for your support Stef

post #4 of 33 Old 03-31-2014, 04:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
well done

very good news ,seen on french site
looked at site & am very interested in your magic box.
if requested can you put a manual connection to fit the "race" button on the 360cs?
this would be replacing the "lc" button on a 430 (in the central console)
colin

Last edited by colin458; 03-31-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add info & questions
post #5 of 33 Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Colin,

If by your request, you mean connect the controller so that it would open the bypass valves when you engage the race button ... I would say, yes, that should be something that can be done. I imagine the race button is merely an on/off switch. You would have to tap into the connectors on that switch and then connect it to the coil side of a simple automotive relay (you could mount that relay in the center console somewhere near the switch. I would then use the normally open contacts on the relay to then control the "magic box". In this fashion, you would draw very minimal current from the race button.

Can you confirm that the race button is merely an on/off push button switch? If so, I can sketch up the wiring diagram for you illustrating the electrical connections for hooking in an automotive relay to perform the function that I described above. Hard to tell in the exploded diagram, but it looks like that is all that it is.

If you want a simple relay, I will give you one at no charge.

Regards,

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by bisel; 03-31-2014 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 05:02 AM

hello steve,
yes i think this button corresponds to the 430 button size (? to be confirmed)
& yes it should be used as on/off.
please do leave info here as i am absent from (1 minute from now !)
thanks for the reply & will Watch this space
colin
post #7 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Colin,

Having read again your question,I am not sure exactly what you intending to do. Do you want to use a "race" button to replace the "LC" button in your F430? Or do you have a 360CS and want to utilize the existing race button to also control the bypass valves?

Am thinking you have an F430 and want to install a race button in the center console. Yes? And this race button will replace the LC button?

If this is the case, then when you disconnect the LC button, you will not be able to use LC anymore. The function will be there, but the switch will be gone. So, yes, you can then install the race button in the place where the LC button is now and employ the new "race" button to control the bypass valves ... and you would not need a relay to do that. That would be a simple electrical connection.

You could also use the existing LC button. Just disconnect the wires from the LC button and secure them out of the way. The wires and function will remain and they can always be re-connected later. You can then use the LC button to control the bypass valves.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin458 View Post
hello steve,
yes i think this button corresponds to the 430 button size (? to be confirmed)
& yes it should be used as on/off.
please do leave info here as i am absent from (1 minute from now !)
thanks for the reply & will Watch this space
colin
post #8 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 PM

hi steve,
yes i have a 430 & i'm thinking of using a button as on / off.
"race" seems more suited as a word as opposed to "lc"
but only an esthetic thought.
yes you are correct the "lc" could be used.
i do have a remote for my capsirto but have no idea how to connect a button so your system does look tempting if only to make it simple to do.
i bet it sounds stupid to you (roll eye's) sorry for that, i just know nothing at all about it.
i need to learn more ...
colin
post #9 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Colin,

To the best of knowledge, you cannot use the Capristo with a manual on/off switch. I believe they will only function with the remote control key fob. In order to use the controller with a manual on/off switch, Capristo would have to modify their device to disable the remote receiver function and then change the operation of the relays from the remote to a manual switching method. I have already included within the controller all the circuits to do this. All you have to do is position a small switch inside the controller enclosure to the appropriate position.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin458 View Post
hi steve,
yes i have a 430 & i'm thinking of using a button as on / off.
"race" seems more suited as a word as opposed to "lc"
but only an esthetic thought.
yes you are correct the "lc" could be used.
i do have a remote for my capsirto but have no idea how to connect a button so your system does look tempting if only to make it simple to do.
i bet it sounds stupid to you (roll eye's) sorry for that, i just know nothing at all about it.
i need to learn more ...
colin
post #10 of 33 Old 04-14-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I found an interesting disclaimer in the Capristo installation document for their standard about the Capristo standard remote control kit ... this is an exact quote from their installation manual ...

"Our control unit has been modified and does now come with a gasket that is better in quality. In spite of that it is important to have the control unit installed in a place that is splash-water protected. Furthermore the ambient temperature should not exceed 70 deg centrigrade (158 deg F). We do not assume any guarantee for faultily installed components."

I expect that their warning about temperature might be over stated, but it is interesting that Capristo is selling their exhaust controller kit for installation in an engine bay where the temperatures are generally higher than their recommendation.

Regards,

Steve
Forza Componenti
post #11 of 33 Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

YouTube Video of Installation

Some people have requested that I make a YouTube video of the installation of the Controller Kit.

Well, I made the video, but am a bit self conscious of sharing it for fear that you all will discover that I suck at being an actor and spokesman ...

Anyway, here's the link to the 18 minute video I made with my daughter's help of installing the Controller Kit on a Ferrari 360 Modena ...

Forza Componenti Controller Installation - YouTube

Regards,

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by bisel; 04-21-2014 at 04:09 PM.
post #12 of 33 Old 04-24-2014, 12:50 AM
zfb

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Guys,

I just installed Steve's awesome Bypass kit on my 360 Spider. I used the manual switch option.

Super easy to install with clear instructions.

Steve is super nice and easy to work with - gave me great tech support on the manual install since I'm not super handy with wiring.

And the sound.....just wow! Day and night. And when there's a police road block, just flick the switch to go back to default. Absolutely love this!

Cheers,

Bernard
post #13 of 33 Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Review of Forza's Exhaust Bypass Controller & Ferrari's Racing Exhaust System

Hi Guys,

Having owned my 2004 360 Spider for nearly a year now, I decided to roll up my sleeves, dust off the tools and make my first set of modifications before summer actually shows up...

My project included the purchase and installation of Steve Bisel's (aka Forza Componenti) Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller (with remote) as well as Ferrari's Racing Exhaust System, which was purchased from Ferrari of Tampa Bay.

I have posted several videos for you to see (and hear) the end result. This first video is the 360 at idle following both the exhaust bypass and racing exhaust installations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f--nMYsy2UE

The second video provides some footage and sound clips of the system at higher RPM's.

In the video clips, I am opening and closing the exhaust bypass valves via the remote control that comes with the system manufactured by Steve Bisel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Z50tuW5gw

Needless to say, I am more than pleased with the system that Forza Componenti has manufactured. The build quality is second to none, and Steve was extremely helpful in encouraging me through the process. Frankly, the system is very straight forward and can be installed within a 90 minutes if you already have the Racing Exhaust System installed, and a slightly longer if you need to remove a few more items to complete the install. I do believe most of you could perform this mod without issue. I ended up mounting the bypass controller in a location that was easy to get at as I was already removing the rear challenge grill, rear tires, etc in order to remove the stock exhaust for the Racing Exhaust System. While I thought my stock 360 sounded good before these modifications, I am completely blown away with what she sounds like following the mods.
Ferrari's Racing Exhaust System sounds incredible when you open it up, but with the exhaust bypass system installed, you get to enjoy that glorious sound under 4,000 RPM's. (No, I haven't installed the ECU's that came with the Racing Exhaust System, however Ferrari of Tampa Bay is sending out the ECU's to be mapped should I elect to install them at a later time)

Enjoy!
David
post #14 of 33 Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I really appreciate the kind words that David and Bernard have posted. And, of course, I am very pleased that the exhaust bypass controller has met your expectations.

Thanks, guys.
post #15 of 33 Old 05-19-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I have had some recent inquiries if it is possible to make a controller to have a mode of operation where the valves are always closed. Right now, the my controller kit only has two modes of operation ...

1. ECU controlled (valves closed at low RPM and open when RPM > 4000 RMP)

2. Valves always open

By adding a third option to have the valves always closed would obviously make the car more quiet, especially at higher RPMs. This raises a couple of questions:

1. Why does one want an always closed option?
2. What are the potential pitfalls to closed valves at higher engine RPM?

Besides just making the car quieter, I understand that many tracks have sound restrictions on track days that is disqualifying cars ...even with stock silencers. Having an always closed option may help these cars meet these restrictions.

Another reason one may want to have the valves always closed, is when touring or cruising in the car. Having the ability to keep the valves closed at all times can lessen the noise inside the car.

I checked on the potential pitfalls of having the valves always closed. There are some opinions that this could possibly have negative consequences on the engine. I checked with a couple of very knowledgeable technicians about this issue and was told that the only consequence is that there would be a bit less peak horsepower due to the increase in exhaust back pressure. There is even a positive aspect of a slight increase in back pressure ... higher torque. Some people have the perception that the engine might overheat. I am told this is not true.

I have decided to add the Always Closed function to the controller. I will be introducing a new model with the Always Closed function in the next few weeks. The new function will necessitate adding some additional components and to keep the size small, I have to source some smaller components. When available, the user will have three modes of operation:

1. ECU controlled (this is default mode)
2. Always Open
3. Always Closed

I fully intend to add this function while maintaining the current price of $375. In the interim, I am reducing the cost of the current model to $350 until I exhaust my current stock of parts.

I am reducing the price of my current controller (with only two modes of operation) to $350. I plan on introducing the new model in a few weeks.

Regards,
post #16 of 33 Old 05-19-2014, 04:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Steve

Has anyone installed ur system in an f430 yet? Its encouraging to read the posts above but I sure would like to hear feedback from an f430 install. Im more concerned about check engine lights and engine temp or premature failure of engine and exhaust. I would love to save a few hundred dollars if pozsible. Could someone also comment as to why we should leave things alone? Ferrari must have good reasons for not leaving the system loud all the time right? I must admit that I push mh f430 just to hear her sing. She does not sing enough imo. Someghing must be done and thiz is cheaper vs new exhaust system.
post #17 of 33 Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hello,

Yes, several F430 installs. Go to Ferrari Chat where there are some testimonials from F430 owners. If you like, I can email some F430 people and ask if OK to give you their contact info so you can discuss directly with them.

No CELs ...

No risk of increasing engine temps or premature exhaust failures when running always open.

If one were to get new model I am bringing out and run always closed, there is no risk to engine, but I cannot speak to any potential problems with the silencer. I do not believe there should be any consequences, but I would recommend running the fully closed function only for things like track days where one has to meet noise restrictions.

As to why not just leave things as they are ... well, IMO, there is only one reason why most people would want to have the controller ... to make more noise. And, I expect if Ferrari could have, they would make all Ferrari's really loud. But, they also have to be conscious of social consequences of loud cars ... so they install silencers to meet noise standards.

Regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
Steve

Has anyone installed ur system in an f430 yet? Its encouraging to read the posts above but I sure would like to hear feedback from an f430 install. Im more concerned about check engine lights and engine temp or premature failure of engine and exhaust. I would love to save a few hundred dollars if pozsible. Could someone also comment as to why we should leave things alone? Ferrari must have good reasons for not leaving the system loud all the time right? I must admit that I push mh f430 just to hear her sing. She does not sing enough imo. Someghing must be done and thiz is cheaper vs new exhaust system.
post #18 of 33 Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Thx

Steve

See if u can get me contact or 2. Not even about tye money at 350 bucks but moreso the install and results. Thanks in advance. Id use it wide open or stock position.no need for always vlosed.
post #19 of 33 Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi ... sent you PM

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
Steve

See if u can get me contact or 2. Not even about tye money at 350 bucks but moreso the install and results. Thanks in advance. Id use it wide open or stock position.no need for always vlosed.
post #20 of 33 Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Today I am introducing the new model of the Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller.

* All electronics integrated on printed circuit board
* LED indicators to show power and correct polarity
* Compatible with all modern Ferrari's with vacuum actuated exhaust bypass valves

Also, in this new model, is the Always Closed option ... however, this option is designed to only be used occasionally and for the specific purpose of disabling the opening of the exhaust bypass valves. This option is included at request of of several people in the UK who sometimes track their cars and local noise restrictions have disqualified their cars even with stock exhausts because at high engine RPM, the valves would open (as they are supposed to do) and the volume of the exhaust exceeded the track's guidelines.

Some people have inquired about this option as a feature to keep the car's noise level down in quiet neighborhoods ... all you have to do is switch the controller to the default position (vehicle ECU controls the bypass valves) and keep your foot off the throttle. For those who wanted this as routine, press the button, option ... it is not that. I have avoided added this option to be used in this manner ... you can read more details on the web site.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode