360 Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller for 360 / 430 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller for 360 / 430

Some time ago, I installed a manual switch to control my exhaust bypass valves. I can open the valves manually or allow the ECU to control them according to the original factory programming. I know others have either done this or have had a technician do it.

As you may know, Capristo offers a remote control kit for managing the exhaust bypass valves. their kit costs $650 and does the same thing my manual switch, except uses a RF remote control key fob.

I decided to make up my own kit and offer it up. I first made up a prototype to make sure it works and I have now made up a "production" model. This has full RF remote key fob capability as well as switching function to convert to manual switch control. It is completely plug and play. No electrical splicing, no electrical modifications. The control cables have high temp sheathing to protect from engine bay heat.

Am looking for anyone who may be interested in this. I have spent a lot of time doing research to make sure it functions as designed and does not cause problems with the ECU. Several people have made posts here on the forum (e.g., Stef and Voicey) about the proper way to control these valves and I have made sure to follow their advice in designing this kit.

Does anyone have an interest in this? Post a reply here or send me a PM.

Here are some pics of my first "production" model ...

Regards,

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by bisel; 03-10-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Nice work Steve, good luck with it.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the encouragement ... so far I don't have anyone beating down my door ..

But, that may be good thing as my testing of my prototype indicates a change may be in order. I used an ABS plastic box enclosure and I have found that exposure to temps above 175 deg F, the plastic begins to soften. Not really serious, but the specs for ABS indicate a melting point just above 220 deg F. So, am thinking of using an aluminum box instead. Unfortunately this is going to increase my parts cost by over $20. But, at least gives one more assurance that they won't end up with a plastic blob due to heat exposure.

Steve

post #4 of 6 Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Steve- Wonder if it would work for a 575M? Capristo makes kits for both.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
You're right Steve, heat, grease and water will be your enemy. Capristo has to change their first version of their control unit because they had some issues with water/grease. The latest version is using now a magnet to configure the device, no switches anymore. I'm using the same approach in my solutions, magnet only, no switches and fully encapsulated electronics with high heat, water and grease resistant resins. Good luck and if you need someone to test it out on a F430, don't hesitate to ask me
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi guys,

Terry, it should work for the 575 as well. I believe the vacuum solenoids use the same connectors. The control kit circuit design allows it to be used on a car with either a normally open bypass valve or a normally closed bypass valve. And I f the connectors are not the same as those on the 360/430 then easy matter to merely change those on the cables. Capristro offers a controller for Lamborghini. I believe the only difference is the cables with connectors for the Lamborghini.

Stef, I am going to use cast aluminum enclosures instead of ABS plastic. So that will resolve the problem of heat affecting the plastic enclosure. The electro-mechanical components are the slide switches and a pair of Tyco automotive relays. I have no concern about those components holding up to heat and vibration and they are inside the enclosure protected from dirt and moisture. I do have some concern about the PC board. I may end up encapsulating the electronics in resin. Am investigating the cost of materials to do the full encapsulation. I want to keep costs down and encapsulation resin would add another $5 to $10 per unit.

Thanks for offering to test. I may ask you and Terry to do that if you are both willing.

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by bisel; 03-19-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode