F430 man...do i miss her. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
man...do i miss her.

Hey guys been awhile since I started a thread so here goes...

Over the last couple of weeks I have really begun to miss my f430 dearly. I am so glad some of talked me into keeping her at home in our unheated garage. I was planning on sending her way for heated storage but decided 1 winter unheated couldn't do too much damage right? well we had a record cold winter so far not to mention almost record snowfall too. we have been below zero over 25 days since new years day... maybe more but kids got 5 days off school due to extreme cold. I peeked off my baby's 2 covers to sneak a peak at the drivers front corner a couple of days ago, I could not resist and had to make sure she was real. mind you I waited since age 11 for this exotic work of art. I checked all tire pressures and topped off at 35 psi. made sure tender still working. I watched a lOT of you tube clips on red f430s too. I also checked ads for sale to see where prices were trending a year later. now onto guilt...

I started thinking of buying another sports car in addition to my lady in red aka f430. I thought maybe I would not miss her so much if I had another exotic level car to pass the time in the winter months. well... none could look as nice in my price range besides another Ferrari so I simply resort to YouTube clips of Ferrari's. now keep in mind these alternative exotics would be purchased to drive in the winter in upper Midwest. I considered the Lamborghini Gallardo and audi r8. both cool looking and 4 wheel drive. I asked my wife and quickly got shot down. not gonna make it as my winter daily drivers... take my mind off f430? possible since she is hibernating. anyone here experienced this? I bet since many of u have multiple exotics and a much larger budget. had to get this off my chest.... hmmm..support group? That's f-life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Cheng- Just bad luck on the winter weather this year, and being in an unheated garage will not hurt her as long as you are running 50/50 anti-freeze. If the garage is attached to your house, it probably never gets below 40 F in there, at any rate.

How about an older Porsche C4 with winter tires like Blizzaks or SotoZeros? Reasonably priced and with the engine where you want it for traction and AWD to boot. Not much depreciation either. The Lambo and R8 will have clearance problems more than a 911 when it snows.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
With all the salt, dirt, slow traffic and crappy drivers that comes every winter, I would not be able to enjoy driving an AWD exotic. IMO, save the exotics for nice sunny days.

I'm happy in the winter as long as I'm driving something that has a bit of power to it. Used to have an RS4, now driving an X5M. Keeps me content until Spring arrives.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
I'd get a G63 AMG for winter. Fast but yet comfortable and safe!
post #5 of 16 Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

actually...

Ive been to the local Tesla service center twice in 2 weeks. test drove a p85 twice and walked away pretty excited twice. I'm trying to stop thinking about another acquisition. so off I go to YouTube to visit Ferrari sounds and drives from around the world.

Taz

Which model year c4??? Most likely cheaper than new Tesla I bet. would u guys drive that Porsche over salt and sand? This next car IF it happens will see no mercy.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Hey Guys, What a great thread! Im stuck in the Chicago winter, and peaking at my 430 spyder as well. I just cant dust it anymore, but cant bare the sight of salt dust in the wheel wells and engine compartment. I've had a 911c4, and its somewhat fun in the winter, however, the same problem exists. Tire traction, salt grit, and plenty of cautious drivers to make you feel like a reckless showoff.
I too find my fun in an X5, as surprising as it is. Pot holes, and salt spray seem to be its friend. Oh where art thou the spring! Glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm seriously considering a move to northern LA. This winter broke my resolve for Midwest living.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Cheng- There are a bunch of C4s on cars.com (462 AWD 911s), but the price for nice ones around 2006 seems to be around $40-50K, less for earlier ones. With Blizzaks, all weather except for really deep snow. Bodies are galvanized, but still a good idea to have an underbody flush at a carwash every so often.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
I feel your pain!! Bought a 458, got delivered mid late November. Only got to drive it ONCE since having it!!! This has been just a gut wrenching Winter to say the least.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Lightweight

Lightweight,

You were lucky to get your 1 drive in! The midwest weather has been pretty darn crappy! I recall last year about this time how the roads were all dry! i was asking on this fine forum how many would pull out their F cars and drive on the dry roads!

What color is your 458? any pictures???

I bought a Ferrari steering wheel and pedal set for my boys xbox 360 today. I got to see them drive various F cars and i could not resist! I budged in and tried it! No where close to the real thing! sounds like i'll be waiting a while before i get to start her up again! For the record, the youtube clips beat the xbox simulator for bringing back the memories. well...i'll try again next weekend when the kids are allowed to pull out the Ferrari wheel.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 06:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
St Louis tends to get some warm days after a big rain - last week was perfect.

Suggest taking your cars on a warm vacation
post #11 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Cheng,

I feel your pain, you know I do. I'm basically in the same boat. You just gotta wait it out. Or move. Or take a cold shower.

Wife and I are considering moving to San Diego because, like others, this winter has broken our resolve and our hearts!

Good luck, be strong.

Ps: WAH WAH 1% problems! Can't drive my Ferrari, BOO HOO!! Just kidding, you know that I mean no harm!
post #12 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
So sorry Cheng

I've tried to sell mine but it didn't work out. Half of me is damned glad it's not gone.

Get another one in due time!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
I feel your pain. I have just arrived in San Francisco for a 3-4 month work assignment and had to leave my beautiful F430 back home in England - it's been a month now.....still Le Mans on 14th June to look forward to. France - here I come. Soon.

John Stewart
F430 Spider F1
Solihull
UK
post #14 of 16 Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
Just finished shoveling the driveway. Come on Mother Nature, it's March...get the memo! I think it will be May before all the snow is melted this year.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

this is nuts! every morning this past week below zero! no end in sight!

Capo: I like your idea.

Taz those are decent prices for the 911s.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
With the exception of the past few days, it's been sunny, Ferrari weather all year in Los Angeles. Any thoughts of moving?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode