360 tire question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-24-2004, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
360 tire question

I want to swap out the stock 215/45/18 front tires for my hopefully shortly to arrive 360 spyder with some 225/40/18 tires. The brands are very limited for the 215/45/18 size. Any problems with doing this as long as I match the rears with the same compound? This would make the front tire slightly shorter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
It looks like you are +1 sizing the tire which is fine. You may have issues with the computer as they are very sensitive to these kinds of changes (wheels/tire changes). If the weight changes this is what will create the problem, if the weigh difference is almost nill don't worry about what I just said.

What kind of compound are you getting? If you drive spiritly you'll go though soft tires fairly quickly on the rear for obvious reasons.

Congrats on getting the 360. Welcome to the site, I hope you will share some stories of how you enjoy the drive when the car arrives. Best of luck on the tire hunt and feel free to ask away if you need more help.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-25-2004, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

I plan to use Kumho Ecsta MX once the rears wear down. I can't hardly wait, eta sometime this weekend. I'll post my first drive story later. :green: Have you guys heard of Krause and England's shop here in Raleigh? I hear they have a good reputation. I spoke with Sport Auto in Greensboro and they recomended these guys. How often does that happen? I guess it says something about Krause and England.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-25-2004, 05:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Ask any Ferrari service manager and he'll tell you that it will affect your ASR setting. I wanted to do this when I got my 360 but was discouraged after knowing this. If your car is new, the warranty may be voided if anything should happen to the car.

Besides Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone and Goodyear make these sizes because the cars that come out of the factory are fitted in one of these tyres.

Be careful about using tyres that are not rated for the high performance cars like a Ferrari.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-25-2004, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

I have used these tires (Kuhmo's) on my Porsche and know of many who attest to their perfomance. Perform just as well if not better than P-zeros. The only reason Pirellis ended up on Ferraris is due to marketing and what kind of deal they got. My car is already out of warranty and of course the Ferrari service managers are going to say that, just like they told my friend he had to use the Shell Helix or it will void his warranty. Do you think Ferrari would use Shell Helix if they didn't pour millions into their F1 racing? Now we all know that our engines wont blow up if we use Mobil 1 instead of Shell Helix. :lol: If that were the case every Porsche, MB, BMW, Viper, Corvette's engine would be history since they come with the stuff from the factory. Again, another example of Mobil 1 marketing with these companies. Which brings up another question, what about the guys who use 19 inch wheels, does the dealership reprogram their computers to adjust for the different wheel height? Don't mean to flame but I hate it when companies force you to use certain products based purely on the fact that the two are business partners. Sounds like extortion to me.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Owner

ERDOC, I too realise that there's always the commercial connection between the factory and suppliers. I happens with every manufacturer. But if you buy the car new and you change anything, then you're bound to get your warranty void.

But if you get a used car then it is up to you to use what you like. Good luck.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I couldn't remember the computer function but Stradale hit on it. You can get any tire make you want, that isn't the issue. The issue here is changing the size will effect the diameter/weight on the wheel and this will effect your ASR (anti-slip during acceleration). You can turn-off the ASR but it may still mess things up.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2004, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

What about the guys who use 19 inch rims? Does Ferrari have to reprogram their computers to compensate? Any members out there with 360's using different tire/rims sizes? Has it had any adverse effects?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Owner

The Stradale comes with 19" rims and tyres. The ECU programme is different.

I have 2 friends who have fitted 19' rims and with 205 tyres in front and with the full Hamman body kit on their 360s . They changed them a week after they took delivery!! Well they don't care for the ASR programme and they don't even know what it means. Only that it looks great!!!

When one of the car was in the dealer's workshop for it's first service, the Ferrari Regional Service Manager happen to visit the dealer and saw the car. He immeditely instructed the manager to note the engine and chassis number of the 360 and send it to the factory because the car's warranty was voided then and there. That's how I knew about the warranty issue.

But if the warranty is not an issue then there's no issue.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

What dealership was that at? That just shows why customers do not use dealerships for servicing. How can you rat out a customer on something as trivial as changing out rims? I can understand putting on twinturbos or something wild like that but.... rims? I guess we shouldn't use radar detectors either or they may report us to the cops. What if I wanted to use my car in the snow and needed snow tires? Will the factory void my warranty for trying to drive the car in snow and using snow tires with aftermarket rims or will they be liable if I crash because I was following factory rules using Pzeros in the snow as to not void my warranty? Where does it end? I do appreciate your comments Stradale because I would never have known any of this. I guess my car is already out of warranty so its a non-issue.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-05-2004, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

I was reading through the 360 owner's manual and believe it or not Ferrari recommends 225/40/18 and 265/40/18 as winter tires. I guess if I choose a different make with the 225's it would not cause any problems.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode