F430 F430 Spider: Capristo vs Tubi vs FabSpeed vs Larini vs Kreissig? Valves or no Valves? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
F430 Spider: Capristo vs Tubi vs FabSpeed vs Larini vs Kreissig? Valves or no Valves?

I have a 2008 F430 Spider 6MT and I am very interested in swapping out my original exhaust system from the Headers back (headers, cats, & muffler). I would like to hear from aftermarket exhaust owners owning f430s. Please describe the sound and how loud the system is. My car is a Spider and I want to make sure I don't get any annoying drone sounds at certain RPMs. Also, most of my driving is local zooming...no long weekend type trips where I am driving 500 miles/day. I like it loud, but I don't want to get a headache everytime I am in the car with the top down. I don't know if these systems are that "type" of loud?

Capristo vs Tubi vs FabSpeed vs Larini vs Kreissig? Sound quality? Any others to consider?

Valves or no Valves? Will these systems be too loud on a Spider without valves? For example, is the Capristo racing muffler without valves louder than the twin sound muffer running wide open? Also, which system will impart more overall HP and Torque? An experienced F mechanic in my area said to keep things as simple as possible...in other words, no valves. Has anyone had problems with aftermarket valves?

I talked to my local F dealer and asked them and, surprisingly, they said that they haven't done any aftermarket exhaust system installs at all! I was shocked since so many of you out there have mods on your cars. I don't know if I want to be the first one they do? Please advise.

Thank you, in advance.

P.S. I never use the radio in these cars...so that is not an issue for me. The music these cars make is enough for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Many Ferrari dealers are limited to OEM systems, so not much experience. But they do rip off the OEM exhausts all the time for maintenance, so should have no problems gluing an aftermarket on if their shop manager will let them do it,

Have you tried just having the vacuum hoses to the pneumatic valves plugged or installing a Capristo remote for the valves? Much cheaper than starting all over.

Given my choice of just rear exhaust, it would be a valved Kreissieg because they generally have the most high pitched, F1 like sound of the aftermarket exhausts. Then you just need a remote for the valves or a hard switch, like the spare for the Euro rear fog lamps.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Best to get onto Youtube and listen to the different tones of each. Capristo and Kriessieg will be a higher pitch tone, Tubi, more midrangy. Depends on what you like.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2

post #4 of 18 Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
As a general rule, you may want to go down one step on the sound on a Spider compared to on a Berlinetta. I have a 430 Spider with a Capristo exhaust with the first sound level over stock and for me that is perfect but for many it's too quiet still. I will at some point also install the Capristo headers and high flow cats. I have been told this produces an even better sound.

If you have valves you can cruise out of your neighbourhood before sunup without upsetting your neighbours. That's a good bonus.

It's about getting the type of sound you are happy with so go listen at YouTube. At first I tried manually operating the valve on a stock exhaust but i didn't like it. It sounds like a troubled cow. I prefer a sound closer to F1.

Interestingly, a first stage Capristo with stock headers sounds less than a complete stock system with constantly open valves but supposedly is louder in decibels.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
For me,it's Capristo all the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treviso View Post
I have a 2008 F430 Spider 6MT and I am very interested in swapping out my original exhaust system from the Headers back (headers, cats, & muffler). I would like to hear from aftermarket exhaust owners owning f430s. Please describe the sound and how loud the system is. My car is a Spider and I want to make sure I don't get any annoying drone sounds at certain RPMs. Also, most of my driving is local zooming...no long weekend type trips where I am driving 500 miles/day. I like it loud, but I don't want to get a headache everytime I am in the car with the top down. I don't know if these systems are that "type" of loud?

Capristo vs Tubi vs FabSpeed vs Larini vs Kreissig? Sound quality? Any others to consider?

Valves or no Valves? Will these systems be too loud on a Spider without valves? For example, is the Capristo racing muffler without valves louder than the twin sound muffer running wide open? Also, which system will impart more overall HP and Torque? An experienced F mechanic in my area said to keep things as simple as possible...in other words, no valves. Has anyone had problems with aftermarket valves?

I talked to my local F dealer and asked them and, surprisingly, they said that they haven't done any aftermarket exhaust system installs at all! I was shocked since so many of you out there have mods on your cars. I don't know if I want to be the first one they do? Please advise.

Thank you, in advance.

P.S. I never use the radio in these cars...so that is not an issue for me. The music these cars make is enough for me!
I won't say that the other products don't sound good because it's up to everyone's taste,but for me it is the loudest possible Capristo exhaust without valves,pure sound at any time.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Alexandros View Post
I won't say that the other products don't sound good because it's up to everyone's taste,but for me it is the loudest possible Capristo exhaust without valves,pure sound at any time.
I have to agree it sounds glorious! It is particularly nice when you hear somebody taking it around the track or climbing a hill and you listen in and just enjoy from a distance. I cannot drive loud exhausts in open cars anymore due to tinnitus, c'est la vie but I'm happy anyway.

Capristo is making very nice exhaust systems, I have a lot of confidence in Capristo.

For my 612 I have straight pipes from Tubi. That V12 is veeeeeery LOUD!! I can take it because it's a well insulated Berlinetta but there are resonances at certain revs which cut through and become annoying. My plan is to custom insert small mufflers to soften the edges of the sound a bit.

My Dino has the Ansa which sounds wonderful, throaty at low to mid range and gradually turning into a rebel yell.

My 308 also has an aftermarket system but I can't recall the make. It sounds very nice but I've talked to Capristo about making a complete valve exhaust for it with a loud setup at open valves.

Salve,
Capo

post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

You youngsters are so used to really loud music, you like your Ferraris the same way.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
You youngsters are so used to really loud music, you like your Ferraris the same way.
The louder, the better
post #9 of 18 Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Alexandros View Post
The louder, the better
Capristo as others have stated - best product and they stand behind it.

I can't think of a better combination on a Ferrari if you want more presence.

Terry is right - we like disturbing the peace or at least for me all the neighbors
post #10 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

My neighbors are not the friendliest of people. Not once have they ever mentioned that I have a beautiful Ferrari:-). One neighbor last summer asked me: "what's the deal with your Ferrari?" I replied, whatever do you mean? I love cars and a driving a Ferrari is something special to be experienced. His reply was : "I don't get it. What do you like about it?"
I was just stunned. Some people are just too jealous and can't stand that you have something they can't have, while others are just too ignorant and/or clueless to know what makes a Ferrari special. Having a loud Ferrari might just be a good thing. Good morning sunshine:-)
post #11 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
My neighbors are not the friendliest of people. Not once have they ever mentioned that I have a beautiful Ferrari:-). One neighbor last summer asked me: "what's the deal with your Ferrari?" I replied, whatever do you mean? I love cars and a driving a Ferrari is something special to be experienced. His reply was : "I don't get it. What do you like about it?"
I was just stunned. Some people are just too jealous and can't stand that you have something they can't have, while others are just too ignorant and/or clueless to know what makes a Ferrari special. Having a loud Ferrari might just be a good thing. Good morning sunshine:-)
Well if their house ever catches on fire you can always pee on it

There is a long neighborhood straight that one can easily hit 50 mph - I prefer 8000 rpms
post #12 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Cars are just refrigerators on wheels to a lot of folks, and not many are springing for the Sub-Zero.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #13 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Well if their house ever catches on fire you can always pee on it

There is a long neighborhood straight that one can easily hit 50 mph - I prefer 8000 rpms
If it were in my native Sweden I would probably think the same way but as an immigrant I choose a diplomatic way.

Salve,
Capo

post #14 of 18 Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 86
I have a 360 spider and tried many exhaust in combination with fabspeed manifold and 200cells sport cats. Have tried a japanese brand , larini and tubi. Unfortunately age is catching up all of the mentioned proved to be too loud for spider with the top down. Ended up with the stock muffler in combo with the fab manifold and cats, oh and stock tip with valves. Yes it is too quiet for some but prolong usage with regular tubi etc just prove to be too much. If I want it louder can now use a non valve tips.

For some reason on tubi drone was quite severe especially at 1550-2000 rpm just drove me mad.

430 stock exhaust is louder than 360 to begin with and at lower rpm, how about adding sport cats to the stock system and remove the valved tips. Experience tells me that the only muffler without drone is the stock one.

Just my two cents.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking Capristo Headers with stock Cats and Exhaust to begin with.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I am thinking Capristo Headers with stock Cats and Exhaust to begin with.
You can always add the rest of the parts of the complete system
post #17 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 AM

In Greece when a Ferrari drives by everyone just shouts " Floor it " and every single owner does it, with a couple of nice hard revs as an appetizer
post #18 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
I have just had a capristo twin sound built for me ,

On the quiet setting ( level 1 ) the noise is great quiet but really nice and sharp like an F1 ,
Infact it is quieter than the stock exhaust .

On the loud setting ( level 3 ) the noise is 3 times the loudness of level 1 so she really screams
With the added bonus of more power and you can feel the extra horses
It feels like a good 15 brake horse .

I have also got capristo remote control on the system so I can choose which setting I want.

One other thing it's not a cheap Chinese system quality German made and looks right in a ferrari.

That's my 10 penny worth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode