360 Help 360 Wet Carpet under drivers seat - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-25-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Help 360 Wet Carpet under drivers seat

Hello Everyone,

Ive got a 2000 360 Modena and I've noticed the carpet is wet under the drivers seat (right hand drive)

Has anybody got any ideas what the cause may be??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 12:25 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
Since so many Ferrari owners are ....... um............. "of a certain age", this problem is often caused by forgetting to wear their Depends adult diapers.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though, the window seals on the 360 have been known to leak. Mine don't but a check with a garden hose should reveal if your windows leak.

A few times my window sync has gone bonkers leaving the window stuck in the "slightly down" position when it should be fully closed. Perhaps yours was slightly open during a wash or rain shower. Does it seem like water?

If it smells like radiator coolant, likely it's your heater core gone bad. If it feels like light oil, it might be your clutch or brake pump (master cylinder) leaking in which case the fluid reservoir level should be low.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 354
Be VERY careful at this stage.

Your leak could cause you thousands of $ worth of damage if you don't correctly identify it well.

Speaking from experience, indeed the base of my windshield leaked after replacement and the water ingress took out the electronics for the window/door lock ecu, the Bosch throttle pedal and a few others bits like the alarm inclination sensor.... (lhd car)

On the right hand side you have other electronics such as the suspension ecu, etc. so I'd advise AGAINST just using a hose with water in straight away. Firstly isolate the battery and remove all the expensive electronic ecu's from the area which would/could be damaged by water, before doing this so as to avoid water destroying them.

Before you even find the leak, firstly order some windshield sealant. Something like this;
WINDSCREEN GLASS SEALANT BONDING ADHESIVE GLUE CAR | eBay

Then be prepared to spend several hours doing this. Its well worth the effort to do it right first time.

The other area on the 360/F430 which leaks (often) is the front black slam panel facia (under the hood/bonnet) where you access the wiper motor from, fluids, etc. You can order a replacement seal for this from Ferrari but tbh again the sealant/bonding glue will work just as well (if not better) than the original. This prevents water ingress into the front compartment area. Again a few hours here is worth the effort. In the front compartment, to do it properly, everything needs stripping back first, all trim removing, etc.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
Henry Royce

post #4 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 226
Garage
Put a fog / smoke machine in the car. The fog /smoke will leak out where gaps are present. Can be rented at most party stores.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

pass side carpet under the seat is wet too

Thanks guys, I also noticed today the pass side carpet under the seat is wet too.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
The drain tube for the air conditioner evaporator is on the starboard side for LHD Ferraris. If it is on the same side on RHD, all you need to do is locate the tube and clean it out. Very common.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 12-26-2013 at 02:09 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I had the same problem about 8 years ago with a different 360 and that was the problem.

Will try to find the drain tube and let you know of outcome.

Many Thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm trying to find information on the location for the drain tube for the air conditioner evaporator and not having any luck could somebody help pointing me to the right direction please and how best to clean the tube.

Thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Unable until Saturday. Ricambi's online parts catalog should help and you can download a workshop manual at ferraridatabase.com.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

It is number 26 in this drawing from Ricambi's online parts catalog, but no idea where it pokes out underneath. A bent wire is usually sufficent to clean it out. On the V12s we can apply compressed air from the top after disconnecting, but it looks like yours is a bit more hidden.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #11 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Taz, I will have a poke around and let you know how I get on.

Many Thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode