Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Modern V8s: 360, F430 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/)
-   -   360 Engine Light (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/24002-engine-light.html)

hotthreesixty 11-25-2013 10:26 AM

Engine Light

Engine Check System Failure

Dreaded light on again? Today showing misfire on cylinders 2 & 3?
Previously ( 11 days ago ) showing misfire on cylinder 2 only? New spark plugs fitted recently ( May ) so...any ideas as to source of the problem please.

Many thanks in advance...:hmmm:

Brian 11-25-2013 10:51 AM

Outside of the US the threshold for a CEL is very high. It is hard to imagine it would be difficult to find.

Coils have been known to go bad on those.

Out of curiosity what plugs were used and what gap were they set to?

Is that the only fault code in memory?

hotthreesixty 11-25-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 301386)
Outside of the US the threshold for a CEL is very high. It is hard to imagine it would be difficult to find.

Coils have been known to go bad on those.

Out of curiosity what plugs were used and what gap were they set to?

Is that the only fault code in memory?

Thanks for that Brian...

Being a non-mechanical person ( so to speak ) your first point went over my head to be honest.
The plugs were part 192637 Spark Plugs NGK PMR8B fitted at an official Ferrari dealer, gap unknown? And that is the only fault code showing.
The coil packs was mentioned to me by a ( very experienced ) non-Ferrari mechanic as a possible solution, but he stated the diagnostic procedure could take an age & isn`t covered on the warranty.
The car`s performance is unaffected?

Brian 11-25-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotthreesixty (Post 301410)
Thanks for that Brian...

Being a non-mechanical person ( so to speak ) your first point went over my head to be honest.
The plugs were part 192637 Spark Plugs NGK PMR8B fitted at an official Ferrari dealer, gap unknown? And that is the only fault code showing.
The coil packs was mentioned to me by a ( very experienced ) non-Ferrari mechanic as a possible solution, but he stated the diagnostic procedure could take an age & isn`t covered on the warranty.
The car`s performance is unaffected?

What warranty do you have on a 360?

The car does not have coil packs

I can't understand why it could take an age. It is simple to the extreme. Take coils 2+3 and swap with coils 1+4 and see if the code follows the coils. Sound difficult?

If it is missing it cannot help but effect performance. Maybe unnoticed but not unaffected.

There is a great body of evidence that many believe those plugs cannot be gapped when nothing is further from the truth. I have never installed a set that did not require it. Sadly most are installed without that basic step being performed.

hotthreesixty 11-25-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 301418)
What warranty do you have on a 360?

The car does not have coil packs

I can't understand why it could take an age. It is simple to the extreme. Take coils 2+3 and swap with coils 1+4 and see if the code follows the coils. Sound difficult?

If it is missing it cannot help but effect performance. Maybe unnoticed but not unaffected.

There is a great body of evidence that many believe those plugs cannot be gapped when nothing is further from the truth. I have never installed a set that did not require it. Sadly most are installed without that basic step being performed.

Thanks again Brian. Will update in due course :thumbsup: