360 Advice on winter storage - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 57
Advice on winter storage

I have a 2003 360 spider and I'm looking for some advice on winter storage. I want to use a battery tender. I understand that I should not use the type with alligator clips. I do not see a module behind the drivers seat as someone suggested. Can a module be installed to make attaching the tender? Any other winter storage advice. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Ferrari Life - Search Results

just a start

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 13 Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
...and recommend to treat your 360 battery like it's winter year round. Install the pigtail to battery in passenger footwell so it's readily accessible to plug in or check out AldousVoice for another option behind the seat.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe

post #4 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
...and recommend to treat your 360 battery like it's winter year round. Install the pigtail to battery in passenger footwell so it's readily accessible to plug in or check out AldousVoice for another option behind the seat.
Behind the seat is a good option if like me, you cannot open the doors fully in the garage. With limited space you can crack the door open enough the connect behind the seat.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Nothing wrong with alligator clips, just ground the black clip to the chassis.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
If you do a 100% winter storage, why not disconnect and move out completely the battery. The battery alone can be kept quite a while as the self-discharging values in winter are minimal. You would only need to fully recharge it at spring and before you reinstall it. Do the relearn procedure and there you go for a new season
post #7 of 13 Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
If you do a 100% winter storage, why not disconnect and move out completely the battery. The battery alone can be kept quite a while as the self-discharging values in winter are minimal. You would only need to fully recharge it at spring and before you reinstall it. Do the relearn procedure and there you go for a new season
Respectfully, to me, this sounds like a lot of extra work...

Personally, as I start thinking more about storing my car (but hopefully can still drive it for a few months and many miles) I'll be doing what my mechanic recommends. I have a CTEK battery charger with the plug permanently installed and resting in my passenger footwell. I'll connect the charger (like I do every day anyway) and I'll disconnect the battery switch in the front luggage compartment.

Done, easy.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I agree - having a ctek pigtail installed tomorrow
post #9 of 13 Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Owner

As long as you understand and follow the ECU learning process when the battery switch is turned on next spring all is good.

We ran a pigtail CTEK extension off the short one for ease in getting to it from the passenger or driver side.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what you mean - Di I have to switch it off when installing. I was trying to avoid having to reprogram everything.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
Hi guys. My 430 is fitted with a tacker, and the salesman activated to master switch once I had paid a deposit. He thought he was doing me a favour but as the car has a tracker the internal tracker battery went flat. My tracking company were able to confirm a battery disconnect the day I did the test drive and paid a deposit. Cut a long story short I had to have a new battery fitted to the tracker and the tracker engineer told me this happens a lot, and that I shouldn't leave the battery disconnected or turn off the master switch for more than a day or two.
I now plug in the CTEK if the car isn't being run for a few weeks and don't turn off the master switch either.
The CTEK charger comes with a simple connector that you can connect up to the battery terminals. This can be safely left attached to the car and its easy to connect up the charger once you have fitted this.
Simon
post #12 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP360 View Post
Not sure what you mean - Di I have to switch it off when installing. I was trying to avoid having to reprogram everything.
It is recommended to switch off the battery when connecting the pigtail. I don't on our C5 but do on the 360. Easier access on the vette.

Did you check out the ECU relearning process?

post #13 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Was at the shop today and the techs were doing some work on 550 maranello. The fuel fuel filters were full of a black residue which so restricted fuel flow that the car was being starved of fuel.

This car is seldom driven and the rubber parts that are associated with the fuel pump and filter assemblies had deteriorated so badly that small particles were mixed in with gas in the tank. Probably caused by poor gas and the use of ethanol in the local gasoline. I expect might be another reason to use gas stabilizer over winter months.

My local shop services several cars that are seldom driven and for some clients they have drained the gas from the tank and replace with Shell racing fuel that contains no ethanol and preserves the rubber bits in the fuel system.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode