360 She's almost ready! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
She's almost ready!

Per the message I got along with pic from Rob at Ferrari of SA:

"Shes Alive!"

Clutch, Flywheel, Throwout Bearing + o rings and seals, Rear Main Seal, Trans Cooler, PCV Hoses, Pilot Bearing, Misc other seals and gaskets, Full trans service and Coolant Flush and a few other "while you are in there" items. Everything came out of the back EXCEPT the motor itself. Already did Mounts, Timing, Hub Bearings and other stuff prior to this big job. Today marks a month its been in the shop. Hopefully done and ready by Tuesday.

As a side note for those with a 360.... make sure to have your Trans cooler inspected and/or replaced AHEAD of time if you are already doing a big Job like this.

Thankfully mine failed right before I was already scheduled to have the "Clutch+other stuff" work done.

Last edited by CBOND2X07; 09-19-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-19-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

post #3 of 16 Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Busy time for that little beauty. Should purr like a kitten ( a big one) when she is completed. How long was she down?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thats what I keep hearing!!

Went in August 21st. Should be back in my hands by Tuesday the 24th....so just over a month.

Took it in originally because out of the blue, after a short Sunday drive - temp needle began hovering between half and almost red. Thought it was drivers side Radiator Fan not working - turned out to be the trans cooler had taken a dump....and had allowed enough coolant into the trans case to about 3 inches from the bottom of the trans case.

2 other 360's in our area have done the same in the past 3 months.....one was relatively minor compared to mine, other was driven much more and did more damage than mine.

So - considering what the repair and flush job would have ran - figured may as well get the other stuff done too and save some $$ on labor....plus it allowed our tech Jim to do a lot better job cleaning and flushing the trans oil out of the coolant system with everything apart and off of the car anyway.

Im just glad I didnt get the Clutch work done - then have this happen later - because cost of labor to do either job runs relatively close if done seperately from what I understand....

Our FCA group was able to see mine disassembled as part of a "Tech Session" we had at our Ferrari Dealer on the 7th of Sept. (For anyone close to San Antonio - that is where we have our club meetings - on the 1st Saturday Morning of every month)

At that meeting - Jim (tech) advised us that he thinks that my clutch is the original from factory...(she turned 13 in August, and has right at 50k on the clock, 11k of which I applied myself).

After looking at the different seal colors, placement of parts, original Ties etc......which actually verifies what I was told and have thought since before I bought her almost a year ago. In his words " If that is the case - it is probably the best maintained and highest-mile surviving clutch assembly I have personally seen on an F1 360".

One question I have - after all of this work is complete - what are best practices in regards to "Breaking in" the new assembly etc?? I must be driving it very well per the help and advice from many members here - do I change anything or take extra care in any way for a certain amount of miles???

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated as always!

Last edited by CBOND2X07; 09-21-2013 at 09:30 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

post #6 of 16 Old 09-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
I would say just keep doing what you are doing, except keep her out of reverse for as long as possible unless she is pointed downhill. Reverse is almost as high a gear as 2nd.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
That's a very big job done, almost Good you caught the heat exchanger issue in time! How often was the coolant changed on your car?
post #8 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Supposedly once per year before me....once in one year right after initial purchase with me...I did full fluid change out within 30 days of purchase. Miles on other 2 recent with same issue were around 9k and 24k.

Checked on her today - almost done....after 6 coolant flushes. Tomorrow the bumper and wheels go back on, and will be ready for takeoff by tomorrow evening.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

More Pics:

post #10 of 16 Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOND2X07 View Post
Thats what I keep hearing!!

Went in August 21st. Should be back in my hands by Tuesday the 24th....so just over a month.
So is today the big day ?

David
post #11 of 16 Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

That it is.....waiting impatiently....lol

Considering I have them detailing the engine bay and car to a pristine standpoint - Im sure that is taking a little longer than normal.

We have a private RUSH viewing this weekend for our FCA chapter....so I needed her to be mobile and beautiful before that occurs!

Last edited by CBOND2X07; 09-24-2013 at 09:01 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Love the color. Is that grigio silverstone ?

David
post #13 of 16 Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Grigio Titanium... and instead of rushing the detail I chose to pick her up tomorrow instead. Whats another day after over a month??

I just hope there is no need for any further doctor visits until next service in a year....

Wise man told me it will be a love/hate relationship with a 4 to 1 ratio before I became an owner....he was certainly correct.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
Had the same problem with my 360...I wasn't aware that it's a common problem,until it happened...It is heartbreaking to see your car like that(i was nervous all the time until i got her back)...The worst thing is that i haven't seen your post earlier...While i suffered the same problem,we fixed it and i took the car.Later(after 500Km or so)something strange was happening on the car while reversing,off throttle and turning right.So we changed all the engine mounts.But the problem was still there.What was it?The coolant in the gearbox ruined my diff apparently and i had to change the entire gearbox.(also some synchros were bad).I hope that your car doesn't have that damage,but if the gearbox was down,you could open the diff and check it...
post #15 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Sergio - From what I am being told - I noticed it and parked her quick enough that there was no damage to the diff or trans that was noticable - however in terms of just things to watch for.......what exactly was happening that seemed strange???

What were the symptoms and and what was actually wrong that it became ruined??

That way I will know to watch for anything strange.

As a side note - just picked her up 2 hours ago and went for an extended lunch/shakedown drive...all seems to be in order with no weird noices or abnormal actions. In fact - it feels like it is connected to rails and shifts very crisp and smoothly.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
The problem is very easy to understand.While you drive and go off throttle(at least that's how it showed up to me)it will not start to slow down due to the engine braking as it should be,but it will start to act like the clutch is ''biting''(if i can say so)very fast.It is like in a manual car start to press and release the clutch pedal with gear on and the engine running.At first i thought maybe this caused by cold fluids etc...Then it started making that more and more often,plus making strange sounds like the engine mounts were dead.The result is changing my entire gearbox....This was caused by the mixing of the transmition oils and the engine coolant.So,the emulsion that was made from the mixing,apparently ruined the plates of the differential(uneven heat in their surface).I had to change them.Also,I had to open the gearbox to clean it...If i was going to do this,i had to change all the synchros and the cost was very high.Add to that the first gear that needed to be changed and we end with replacing the whole gearbox...I repeat it,i wish that your car doesn't have this problem.The mixing ''thing'' that harmed my 'box happened approximately 6 miles from the workshop...Even the temperature was normal!!!!
P.S.1 What tires have you fitted and in what size?
P.S.2 Sorry for my english.. :P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode