F430 Replacing gear position and engagement potentiometers - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
Replacing gear position and engagement potentiometers

Hi Guys,

I've currently got an intermitent issue where on starting my car it doesn't know what gear it's in and throws an error from the gear engagement potentiometer. I've been through the procedure in the workshop manual and it says the actuator needs to be removed to replace these sensors then a re-learn etc.

So my question, i've had my car on my lift at home and i think i could swap out the sensors without taking off the actuator, it'll be tight and will require skinny fingers and some swearing no doubt, but i'm wondering if simply changing the sensors and keeping the actuator in situ will require any kind of re-learn or if they'll just be plug and play?

Thanks for any info.

John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
You can Physicaly fit them but you will have no gears until its been on an sd3. Incidentely, have you had it diagnosed? Wear/misalignment in the actuator and a plethora of other things could cause the condition you describe...
post #3 of 12 Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Not been fully diagnosed, dealer only got the error codes and we decided to wait until the problem got worse, right now it only happens when i go to start the car i get F1 gearbox error which goes away after 10 secs or so and it only happens once in maybe 20-30 starts.

The problem to me doesn't appear mechanical. Apart from wear/missalignment what else could cause the issue? You might also want to look at my thread on welding with electrical system live

John.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-15-2013, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Actually think we chatted about this issue over in Fchat Ed, you offered some sensors from an old actuator. Still the same issue but when i had the car on the lift and could see the sensors thought i'd ask the question about replacing them if/when required

John.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I haven't seen much success in replacing just the sensors, they hold of fairly well. Typically the fault is indicating that the sensors are measuring an incorrect movement due to an actuator that needs servicing or replacement.

Occasionally replacing the switches, followed by a bleed and calibration procedure can buy you time, but inevitably the actuator will need to be addressed, in my experience at least.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner

What can be done to the a actuator by way of servicing? I would have thought if it was with a mechanical issue it would either work or not?

John
post #7 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelej View Post
Actually think we chatted about this issue over in Fchat Ed, you offered some sensors from an old actuator. Still the same issue but when i had the car on the lift and could see the sensors thought i'd ask the question about replacing them if/when required

John.
Ah, yes i remember! As Josh and i have mentioned there are other issues that could be the root cause, it may be down to something as simple as a loose bleed screw on the bottom of the actuator, conversely it may be due to internal leakage in the actuator. Unfortunately there are many variables, all of which would be pure supposition to try and diagnose here. The last physically failed position switch i encountered had done so because it was full of F1 fluid due to a failed nose seal.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-19-2016, 03:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Hello,

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I seem to have a similar issue to this on my 430. Once in a while the F1 light will come on and it wont shift pass 2nd.

Dealer said I have to replace the potentiometer position sensor. I am wondering if you got to the bottom of this by replacing the sensors or if there was a more serious issue. Dealer is quoting me 1280 to replace the sensor.

Thank you!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Same thing happened to my 575M, but it was just a loose potentiometer/sensor. Fixing that cured the F1 problem, but the F1 lamp was a hard fault that also kicked on the CEL. Took an SD2/3 equivalent to reset the F1 lamp and related CEL, in my case Autoenginuity software.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-19-2016, 10:41 PM

so you have not had a problem since replacing them?

I've seen some people say that potentiometers shouldnt fail and it can be a sign of F1 actuator going bad but nothing conclusive.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-20-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I did get the sensors replaced, I also had the system bled at the same time, the engineer who did the repair said that there during the bleed the fluid spat out at one point so he was pretty sure there was air in the system. I wasn't taking any chances that when put back together I still had a problem with the sensors so replaced them anyway. Not had any issues since.

John.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelej View Post
I did get the sensors replaced, I also had the system bled at the same time, the engineer who did the repair said that there during the bleed the fluid spat out at one point so he was pretty sure there was air in the system. I wasn't taking any chances that when put back together I still had a problem with the sensors so replaced them anyway. Not had any issues since.

John.
Hi John,
I actually had the system bled as well, so I will just go ahead and let them change the sensors. Thank you for the update!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode