F430 Scuderia/16M brake bleed and pads - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Scuderia/16M brake bleed and pads

I've searched quite a bit and could not find answers to the following questions so thought I would post as a new thread for discussion. I'm making some preparations to enjoy the track events at Road of America during the FCA International Event in late July. Seems it would be wise to switch out the OEM pads for some track pads for this activity.

1. Can a Motiv Power Bleeder be used to bleed the brake system on the Scud or does it need to be done via vacuum at the bleed valves?
2. Is the reservoir cap 45mm or 42mm in size?
3. Can bleeding be done by having ignition switch on to activate ABS pump for the rears or do you really need the Ferrari factory tool?
4. What is a good source in US to purchase these Pagid pads?
Front RSC 1 8091
Rear RSC 1 4906
5. I see that several Forum members have tried these new RSC1 pads. Is the wear on the pads and discs better than the RS19/RS29 setup?
6. When going from street to track and back to street OEM pads, do you have to bed in the previously used OEM pads again when switching back and forth or is this not a good idea in general?
I've bled brakes on many cars over the years, but never on a Ferrari so I could use a few pointers.
Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,343
I'm using the Motiv Power Bleeder and it works great. I tried also via vacuum with the appropriate tool but it never worked very well. I don't fill the Power Bleeder with brake fluid, just use it to provide the needed pressure. Be carefull to not over pressure the brake system, I put max 1 - 1.5 bar.

The ignition switch will not activate the ABS pump. To bleed also the ABS, you need a SD3 or equivalent tool. This will open in a specific sequence each valve as well as trigger the ABS pump.

Hope this helps
post #3 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I will also be there in my 16M - wasn't concerned about the brakes at least not til you brought it up.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
The ignition switch will not activate the ABS pump. To bleed also the ABS, you need a SD3 or equivalent tool. This will open in a specific sequence each valve as well as trigger the ABS pump.
How do the guys do it at the track? Just bleed what you can, and then after 3-4 partial bleeds, have a full flush performed by dealership? Same thing....when changing to different type of fluid....OK to just change using bleed method or should it be a full flush with the SD3 tool?
Trying to sort this out ahead of time. For me, a dealer is a $1200 trailer ride to Denver. Seems a little silly for a brake fluid flush😝

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode