360 How much faster is a '99 360? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
How much faster is a '99 360?

I read couple times that the '99 360 is faster than the other years, the question is how much faster? Is it really a noticeable difference? And since they fixed few things after year '02, is it better to get a '99 car and update the things that were wrong until '02 or the power difference is not worth considering a few years older car compared to a year '02 car.

As always, all your input is much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
I doubt they are noticably faster. The horse power difference is minor.
The only real difference for more power is the lack of pre-cats and the only real update was the TCU. I have not driven later cars so can't real tell you for sure but my 99 is fast enough for me. I can say that with stock exhausts the 99s sound better because that I have compared, the pre cats change the sound.

Yes I aware there were more updates besides the TCU but that was the major one in my opinion
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post
I read couple times that the '99 360 is faster than the other years, the question is how much faster? Is it really a noticeable difference? And since they fixed few things after year '02, is it better to get a '99 car and update the things that were wrong until '02 or the power difference is not worth considering a few years older car compared to a year '02 car.

99 is faster than the rest (00~05, all modena & spider) because it has NO pre-cat. This is why I have the pre-cat removed on my 2004.

See here (Scroll down and click on "#9 Pre-Cat Removal"):

http://www.jimmy540i.com/ferrari2.htm

Cheers!

post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 200
Τhere has to be some difference. Talking with a 355 owner he told me that the earlier editions with twin mafs were noticable faster later ones with single maf
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
It is noticeable but there were many important improvements in the later cars.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post

I have 3 pedal '99 Modena. Towards the end of 4th gear (around 210-220 km/h) there is approximately 4- 4 1/2 car distance between me and 2002 360 F1 . However I don't think there will be a difference in top speed. And may be this is a normal result that the other car is a F1 car. To reach a healthy conclusion we have to compare 2 f1s or 2 manuals. But it is clear that '99 version a bit more powerful and more howling according to later models.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakankuy View Post
I have 3 pedal '99 Modena. Towards the end of 4th gear (around 210-220 km/h) there is approximately 4- 4 1/2 car distance between me and 2002 360 F1 . However I don't think there will be a difference in top speed. And may be this is a normal result that the other car is a F1 car. To reach a healthy conclusion we have to compare 2 f1s or 2 manuals. But it is clear that '99 version a bit more powerful and more howling according to later models.

F1 slightly faster in straight line acceleration so your test should slightly favor the other car.

These cars tend to be different, example to example but the fastest 360's I ever drive are 99's.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakankuy View Post
Υours isn't a bit modified?
post #9 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 04:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegr View Post
Υours isn't a bit modified?
Yes but it is very similar to the other car. F1 has fabspeed headers ++decat test pipe+Tubi where I ve AP headers +100 cell racing cat+ OEM racing exhaust. Both cars have fabspeed carbon direct air boxes with BMC filters.
Only main difference is that,during last cam belt service, we installed the new exhaust variators minimally missing the fabrication point to get better throttle response.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode