360 Considering buying a 360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Considering buying a 360

I am comsidering buying a Ferrari 360, though have a number of dilemmas. My main worries with this new venture in my life is not to loose to much money. Guidence would be appreciated;
  1. What colour combinations are the most collecetable?
  2. Which transmission generally suits a newcommer to a Ferrari?
  3. How much do the first modals differ from those produced after 2003?
  4. I am 6ft 2inches would a coupe or a spider suit my height better during sustained driving?
Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
welcome to F life,

before others say it, i'll be the first. please look in the 360 section for a TON of info.

are you wanting a 360 to be a collectable?

and in terms of transmission, it's up to you what you like to drive, etc.

good luck with the search

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #3 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
careful...

well, be careful when you go window shopping because you might end up walking away with one. They are so much nicer looking in person than online ads could ever show. IMO 6'2 should not be difficult to fit into either car. especially since most have powered seats where you can adjust height up or down.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Cheng is absolutely right, I was planning on getting one around Christmas, after seeing one, I am checking the classified websites 5 times a day
post #5 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony360 View Post
I am comsidering buying a Ferrari 360, though have a number of dilemmas. My main worries with this new venture in my life is not to loose to much money. Guidence would be appreciated;
  1. What colour combinations are the most collecetable?
  2. Which transmission generally suits a newcommer to a Ferrari?
  3. How much do the first modals differ from those produced after 2003?
  4. I am 6ft 2inches would a coupe or a spider suit my height better during sustained driving?
Much appreciated.
In answer to your questions:

1. red/tan or red/black
2. 6 speed manual
3. 2001s and later have fewer issues
4. Either should be fine

Simon Furlongers currently has a pair of very nice 360 Spiders for sale: http://www.simonfurlonger.co.uk/docs...for_sale.shtml
Matt at SF is very helpful
post #6 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

If you are looking for a more collectible 360, than I would opt for a Challenge Stradale.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
To answer your questions (specifically, from a man who bought his first Ferrari - a 360 Spider F1 in April, 2013):
1. Red/Tan combinations seem to be the most popular. They are the easiest to picture, and probably immediately come to mind when someone says the F-word. No, not that F-word, the other F-word!
2. Transmission generally depends on your own comfort level. I can drive a standard gearbox proficiently, but I have driven F1 style gearboxes since 2002, so I am very comfortable with them. Plus, my wife canNOT drive a standard gearbox, and since I want to share the F-experience with her, I opted for an F1. The VAST MAJORITY of cars out there are F1 gearboxes.
3. The main differences within the model years are transmission control units, or TCUs. Early TCUs on coupes circa 1999 weren't the best. They got better and better as the years went by. Most people judge the ultimate TCU to be the one fitted to the Challenge Stradale - you can usually upgrade your car's TCU to whatever you like. My car is a 2001 Spider, and a previous owner had the 2004 TCU fitted.
4. I don't think your height will be much of an issue - it comes down to whether you personally prefer a coupe or a spider. I haven't had a convertible for about 7 years, so I got a spider, and I'll never look back. Your long distance comfort will be more affected by the type of seats (standard, Daytona, or "Race" style seats), how stiff the suspension happens to be over the kind of roads you drive, and the unfortunate lack of cruise control.

A 360 is a great starter Ferrari, but be prepared to pay to maintain it. They aren't "cheap" cars to operate, but if you can afford it, the process can be very rewarding. Good luck - PM me if you want more info / opinions. FWIW, I searched for about 1 year before Miss Right presented herself to me. I bought her within 1 week of her first listing on AutoTrader.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
A 2003 car would have a later model TCU (gearbox ECU) if it was an F1 gearshift car. That said, the Challenge Stradale TCU is the ultimate 360 TCU and you could upgrade any model year to that unit.

Your height shouldn't be an issue. If you're not familiar, it's worth going to a garage that has some 360s for sale and sitting in them to get a feel for the driving position.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
Devil's advocate position

Height is one issue- weight and height are another. From the height perspective, I am a hair above 6 ft and in the 360 spider I almost bought I felt very close to the roof and felt like I was sitting/looking above the windshield with top down- standard seats all the way down and back.

Drive them and see. Fit is more than the height alone. And if you add a helmet for track days, it is even closer.

free 0.02.....

Scotts

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
post #10 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Thank you all, for holding my hand in what I hope will be the beggining of a wonderful journey. It's interesting to read the comments over whether people decide for a coupe or a spider. I have this thing in the back of my head that the lines of a coupe are just a litlle more attractive then the hood of a spider. We live in the UK and sadly the roof up will be a regular occurance.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

post #12 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
I'm 6'2" and bought an F1 Spider last year, no problems with the height once the seat is adjusted (as in, no special work on it) and I removed the sun visor.

Isnt red and crema the most popular combo rather than tan ?
post #13 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
boxer

Good read Boxer. thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode