360 Heat Shield Paint - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Heat Shield Paint

Our 360 heat shields could use a touch up. Searched and didn't find a thread on the topic. Would anyone know the proper paint, color & process to make them look new again? I was initially thinking of changing the color during the process but silver is reflective and probably best to keep as is, just with a fresh coat of paint...? Thanks for the response.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 200
I suppose a silver metallic heat resistance spray would do the job
post #3 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 05:43 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Our 360 heat shields could use a touch up. Searched and didn't find a thread on the topic. Would anyone know the proper paint, color & process to make them look new again? I was initially thinking of changing the color during the process but silver is reflective and probably best to keep as is, just with a fresh coat of paint...? Thanks for the response.
Which shield is it?
My F1 reservoir shield near the muffler is all chipped up. The silver paint flaked off for no reason. If I take a paper towel and rub it, the flakes come off and it turns brown. At first it bothered me and I was going to replace it, but then I considered painting it with some silver heat paint like the above poster said. Now I just decided to ignore it. I figured that eventually it will all be one color (brown). It may not look as good as silver, but its off to the side. The only advantage that I can think of for painting it, is that the silver color will reflect more heat while the brown color will absorb. I don't know if it will make a substantial difference though.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
If heat is absorbing through the shield into the F1 pump that wouldn't be preferred as they're known to fail in time (I believe due to the heat in a 360 engine bay). Same for the driver's side shield.

It's pretty common for the heat shields to flake and get repainted over time. I'm looking for the paint color and best/proven product to use.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #5 of 7 Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
VHT Header Paint in Flat Silver (SP106). Withstands temperatures to 2000 degrees F. Almost perfect color match.
VHT FlameProof™ Coating
post #6 of 7 Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 88
Is it possible to take the F1 reservoir heat shield off without removing the side panel? The forward most bolt is hidden under a bunch of hoses and the side shield. If the side panel has to come off, how does it come off? It appears to just be screwed on, but the engine cover support strut looks like it's mounted on the side cover. If that's the case, how do I remove the strut from the side cover? Do I just pop the bottom of the strut off of the ball joint using a screw driver or other pry instrument, or is there a trick to it?
Thanks for any advice. I would like to remove the shield and paint it so my engine compartment can look new again!
post #7 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
I painted mine in place without removing. Spray painted the bristles of a small brush and carefully repainted all of my shields.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode