360 Just bought my FIRST Ferrari! - Page 3 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
Raj:

Car looks amazing. Really special. Nothing beats that feeling of making it yours and learning to be one with the car. It always tkes me at least a year before I feel I know the car and it is an extension of me. Feel like the smile is tattoo'd on your face? I kept sneaking to the garage and staring at mine, open mouthed.....

Drive it well. It is special.

ScottS

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP360 View Post
Hey Everyone, well I just bought my first Ferrari.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Post some pictures on your thread - we all love looking at pictures of these beauties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
i'll have to go to the OTHER site to see whats going.
...not really worth your valuable time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
Raj:

Car looks amazing. Really special. Nothing beats that feeling of making it yours and learning to be one with the car. It always tkes me at least a year before I feel I know the car and it is an extension of me. Feel like the smile is tattoo'd on your face? I kept sneaking to the garage and staring at mine, open mouthed.....

Drive it well. It is special.

ScottS
Thanks Scott! I'm certainly in the process of making it "my own." Just washed her the other day - that made me nervous. But I followed the procedure and think I got it done without imparting any swirl marks or other imperfections. Basically, my paint is about 98% perfect right now - a few battle scars from years on the road, but the majority of the paint is an absolute mirror finish, with no swirling.
I'm looking forward to time and miles behind the wheel! Can't drive it now because my only fob is being cloned, and on its way back to me. Will have it tomorrow (fingers crossed - again, nervous!). I do feel like I have a permanent smile - the Ferrari life is so sweet. I also take any chance I can to go stare at it, from about every angle, as it sits in my garage! Thanks again!
post #43 of 54 Old 05-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriveM5 View Post
I have too many cars right now - that's the only problem. I guess it's a good problem.
Raj, that's never a problem! I had the same problem too (too many cars, too little garage space) so had to sell a few.. i miss them...

think long and hard before getting rid of your rides.... learn from my mistakes

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

post #44 of 54 Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
GP- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Would love to see some photos of your 360.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #45 of 54 Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 88
Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Post some pictures on your thread - we all love looking at pictures of these beauties!

...not really worth your valuable time.

Thanks Scott! I'm certainly in the process of making it "my own." Just washed her the other day - that made me nervous. But I followed the procedure and think I got it done without imparting any swirl marks or other imperfections. Basically, my paint is about 98% perfect right now - a few battle scars from years on the road, but the majority of the paint is an absolute mirror finish, with no swirling.
I'm looking forward to time and miles behind the wheel! Can't drive it now because my only fob is being cloned, and on its way back to me. Will have it tomorrow (fingers crossed - again, nervous!). I do feel like I have a permanent smile - the Ferrari life is so sweet. I also take any chance I can to go stare at it, from about every angle, as it sits in my garage! Thanks again!

Raj,
I'm glad it all worked out, that's awesome!
By the way, you can still drive the car if you want. You just need the security code from the included card (hopefully your car still has it), then you turn the key in the pattern of the code in order to disable the alarm system. I've never disabled the alarm that way on my car, but I heard it can be finicky until you figure out the procedure. It's all outlined in the owners (or maybe shop) manual.
post #46 of 54 Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC355 View Post
Raj, that's never a problem! I had the same problem too (too many cars, too little garage space) so had to sell a few.. i miss them...

think long and hard before getting rid of your rides.... learn from my mistakes
I'm sure that's tough. I'm parting ways with my 2012 Mercedes-Benz S550 this year. It has been a great family car, but I don't have any attachment to it, whatsoever. I certainly won't be glad to see it go, but I don't think I'll cry over it either. The other cars are all staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by up4speed View Post
By the way, you can still drive the car if you want. You just need the security code from the included card (hopefully your car still has it), then you turn the key in the pattern of the code in order to disable the alarm system. I've never disabled the alarm that way on my car, but I heard it can be finicky until you figure out the procedure. It's all outlined in the owners (or maybe shop) manual.
Unfortunately, I don't have the PIN. Thanks for the suggestion. My fobs will be back in my hands this morning by 10:30 AM. They're being delivered to my office, and I'll probably make a quick trip home to check them out as soon as I have them in my hot little hands. Pity the weather is crappy here today, otherwise I could go home and switch cars, and bring the 360 back to the office!
post #47 of 54 Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 57
Here is my 360 Nero tan interior. Loving it. Tried uploading pictures - not sure if it worked.
Attached Images

post #48 of 54 Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 PM

Here is another shot. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  143.4 KB
post #49 of 54 Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Sweet! Now I'm kinda thinking I should have gone topless too...

Stablemates: 06 F430, 95 M3 Track, 08 M3 Vert, 04 Cooper S, 08 M5 - All with 3 pedals, of course.
post #50 of 54 Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Some driving impressions

Hey Fellas,

I've been asked more than once to provide my take on driving my new 360 Spider. Now that I'm a pro, having logged approx. 250 miles on my car I can share a few things.

1. Steering: I love how direct and connected the steering is. It feels so, well, pure. See, in the luxury cars I'm used to driving (even in the M5), the steering feels electronic. It doesn't feel as connected to the turning wheels as it does in the 360. So, I really enjoy the "point and shoot" nature of the steering. I believe this is also supported by an extremely good chassis design - the whole car feels so solid.

2. Chassis: As I said above, the car (even without a roof) feels so solid. It's a "firm" ride, but it's not an unpleasant sort of firm - it's a very solid, welcoming feeling. This was a big surprise to me, given the lack of a hard roof structure. I don't come away feeling any extra flex or vibration due to road conditions - it is remarkably, pleasantly solid.

3. Brakes: Well, they're OK. I have new pads and rotors, so it'll probably take some time to get them working right. Because they squeak. Even at speed - I was taking a high-speed sweeper right-hand corner this morning, with a little corner-exit braking and the outside front wheel squeaked. They are pretty progressive though, and predictable. FWIW, I have stock Brembo pads and rotors. I guess I could do with a little better braking performance, but I haven't tested it in a hard stop or track circumstance.

4. Engine/Acceleration: The car is so light compared to EVERYTHING else I've ever owned. It has a "small" engine at just 3.6L, but it produces well over 100 hp/L and that's an important metric to me. Off the line, it just flies away. And, since it has such a good chassis, it keeps going through the curves. I'm so impressed with the agility of the car, even though it only has ~400 HP and about 275 lb/ft. Those numbers are "low" by modern standards, but don't tell the whole story. I'm beginning to learn that the Ferrari is so well-designed as a CAR, and not just a compilation of great components like a German car might be. I guess an analogy would be like Ferrari designs the car first and the components are secondary. The Germans design all these great components to mesh together into a nice car.

5. Sound: My car has a Fabspeed exhaust, and it makes the engine note sound so, well, divine. I love winding it up to high RPM and pulling the paddle - the shifts are so smooth and the sound is intoxicating. I purposely downshift going under bridges and into tunnels (even tunnels of trees!) so I can enjoy the sound. It's a guilty pleasure.

6. Gearbox: It's an F1 - with an updated TCU (non-CS). It's nice, but isn't the "strongest" part of the car. I've been driving these types of gearboxes in German cars since 2002, so I know how to work them. I'm constantly trying to learn how best to use the F1 gearbox - it's a work in progress. Nice, but not perfect. High RPM shifts produce smoother transitions than lower RPM shifts. It loves to be wound up high, what a surprise...

7. Beauty: With Rosso Corsa/Tan, it's a very desirable combination that gets all the open-mouthed stares. There isn't a single "sharp edge" on the car. It is simply beautiful - that's a good way to put it. Relative to today's cars, it's simple. And its lines make it beautiful. "Simply Beautiful." I can't look at it enough or take enough pictures of it.

8. Experience: Hard to put into words. It is, well, just so special. Every single time. Each time I fire it up. Every time I hit a high exhaust note. Every person that takes a picture of her and all the people that smile and wave, or kids that jump up and down. It's really special. This is why I bought the car - to personally enjoy the Ferrari experience. And I'm loving every second of it.

That's all for now. More as I get a few more miles on the clock!
post #51 of 54 Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 88
Raj, those feelings will not go away!! That's the best part about the car. I still get all excited and I had it for a year, and put about 2,000 miles on it so far. I wish I had more time to use it, and put even more miles on it.
How does your wife like it so far? I'm sure she got over the initial apprehension, especially when she sees how happy it makes you to have a car like that. Don't forget to give her attention too! LOL My wife calls my car the mistress.
post #52 of 54 Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by up4speed View Post
How does your wife like it so far? I'm sure she got over the initial apprehension, especially when she sees how happy it makes you to have a car like that. Don't forget to give her attention too! LOL My wife calls my car the mistress.
Haha, you remembered my previous dilemma. Kudos to you for keeping all this internet babble straight in your head!!!

She told me yesterday: "I'm coming around." Basically, I've been letting her take her own time / come to grips with reality at her own pace. I'm not talking about it (or this great community) to her. If she asks me questions, I answer them. I don't bombard her with Ferrari-business; just because I eat that stuff up doesn't mean she has to.

She got a kick when I told her the story about "The Price is Right" trying to give away a 458 Spider.

She's over the initial apprehension, but it's still going to take a little time to get her fully on-board. That's ok. I think just one drive with me in the summer with the top down will seal the deal for her. Even though she's not a "car person," there are very few people who could leave a nice cruise in that car without a smile on their face. I'm hopeful she'll say: "I get it now." I took her entire immediate family out for joy rides. They all loved it.

And, FWIW, I'm givin' her plenty of attention these days. Doing whatever I can to make her life easier. All in the hopes of winning some more goodwill for my side!

Quick update: I was saddened yesterday when driving on the highway with my roof down. I guess it was windy, because now both of my roll bar mounted mesh wind screens are "torn." The driver's side was separated from the rubber frame since I purchased it. Yesterday, the pass. side did the same thing! It looked stupid flapping there in the wind, so I took the car home and removed both mesh units - it was a simple 10-minute job. I don't think I'll replace them - too much hassle for too little benefit. I now just have the mesh screen in the middle, between the two roll bar hoops.
post #53 of 54 Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Quote:
I'm beginning to learn that the Ferrari is so well-designed as a CAR, and not just a compilation of great components like a German car might be. I guess an analogy would be like Ferrari designs the car first and the components are secondary. The Germans design all these great components to mesh together into a nice car.
Very well put.
post #54 of 54 Old 05-19-2013, 04:30 AM

Reverie

I have had my 03 Black and Tan 360 spider now for a few weeks and have put about 200 miles on the car. What a machine! Truly a fantastic experience. I have owned a couple of sports cars but when the kids came along (my wife convinced me it was time to sell. Now that they are older it was time to reacquire one (it has been a long wait). Before purchasing the car I had considered a 911 turbo cab and a cayman, ZR1, Lotus, new Jag F Type, and an Aston Martin (and thought about waiting for the new Acura NSX). I must say I'm extremely happy with my choice. I know some of them are faster to 60 but the visceral experience of the Ferrari is amazing. The sound ( I don't call it noise) coming from behind is awesome. I never tire of hearing the Italian symphony and what notes they hit. I'm glad my neighbour and fellow Ferrari owner, enthusiast, (he has a couple) talked me into seeking out a gated 6 speed. It is a blast rowing up and down the gears. Starting the car up just brings a smile to my face. Combine the engine with the sculpted body and you get close to perfection as you can get. Thank you Enzo!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode