360 Race tire source and recommendations 360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
Race tire source and recommendations 360

I would appreciate your help with the following. I am thinking of buying some track only slicks for my 360 with stock 18" rims.

Can you recommend a tire, a source to buy and the sizes, since they do not seem to use std sizing. I am going next Friday to Willow to run the full track, so need ASAP. Would be willing to buy used if good shape, wich apparently means not too old?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Nittto NT01

They have 225 40 18 and 275 40 or 35 18... Will the geometry of these tires work?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Morton- You sure you would not be happier with something like a DOT approved competition tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup?

Michelin*Pilot Sport Cup

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Nitto

Thanks for the response and questions. Since I have a second set of rims and was thinking of trailering the car to the track, I was considering track only tires for an improved driving experience - my belief is that track slicks would be significantly better than any DOT rated tire??

At this point I can get the Nitto's for $1000, but the sizes are not exact so I am concerned with the geometry as mentioned above. If I can get feedback to that point, I will at least know if they are an option.

I can get Hoosiers for $1,600, so the question is would they be that much better? I believe the tires you mentioned would cost in the same range as the Hoosiers, so if I spend that type of money, and can facilitate using track only tires, maybe the improved driving experience of track slicks is the best option?

Unfortunately running low on time as track day is next Friday, so need to make some decisions pretty quick.

Thanks again
post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Latest update...I spoke to the tire guy (Rick) at Willow Springs on recommendation from Hoosier. He said like Taz recommended to stick with the DOT tires for a couple reasons: 1) since it is a track fun day and not a race, and since it is my first time on the track and would be my first time on slicks, he said it would probably be better to just run good brand name tires. 2) He said since it is a nice street car that I probably would not want to damage, I may not even run the slicks hard enough to make them work, and if I didn't do that, then would be too slippery. Now I happen to think that I would run them hard enough, but he obviously knows more about this than me. 3) He said the slicks are soo sticky they will catch a lot more rocks and cause more damage. 4) you cannot use slicks and then let them sit for 2 months as they will go bad, and I will probably not get back up there for quite some time.

So now I will decide if I want to run what I have ( Hankooks V12 and Bridgestone) or buy Nitto or Michelin. I will probably use what I have, and when I am done, upgrade to the Michelin.

Wish me luck!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Morton- Good luck. The street 360 is not really set up for slicks, so I think you made the correct decision.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Running what you have is the right decision for the first time on track. And the second, and third. At some point if you get hooked, some DOT-R tires would be in order, on their own set of wheels.

Stablemates: 06 F430, 95 M3 Track, 08 M3 Vert, 04 Cooper S, 08 M5 - All with 3 pedals, of course.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Toyo 888 are another good track-focused tyre to consider.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode