Finished my Audio Upgrade
One of the more difficult tasks I have undertaken, and if I ever dream about doing this again, I will apologize when I wake up.
There were many problems that I had to overcome:
Opening in doors for mid range woofers too small. Needed to use jig saw to enlarge ... that took some time.
OEM speaker wiring in door could not be reused as originally the tweeter and mid range woofer were wired in parallel
Could not route new speaker wires through the Molex plug in door. Had to drill hole in door and route new speaker wires and use some Techflex to protect those new wires.
Routing the power cables and speaker wires to / from the luggage compartment (where I installed the amp) was very fiddly as there is a lot of plumbing between the passenger compartment and luggage compartment. I remembered several of those words if I used them in my mother's presence, she would wash my mouth my soap
Getting door panels off the car is huge PITA. I broke a little clip that holds the end of the door release cable when removing one the door panels ... had to replace that ... cost $0.90.
Have to replace the vapor barrier in luggage compartment as needed to remove that to route my wiring through the firewall.
I was able to re-use the original mid-range woofer grills for new speakers. Intended to get grills for the sub-woofer (using original enclosure), but that is uncommon size, so had to modify the OEM grills to use those.
Although the results are very satisfying and I am really pleased I was able to do it myself ... never again! Huge improvement in audio quality over the original. And, I now have Bluetooth phone, USB, and HD radio capabilities.