360 Chirp upon key removal - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
Chirp upon key removal

Took the FCar out for a spin today, no issues.
When I parked and turned off the ignition, there was a brief chirp like sound upon removal of the key. The security red light on the stereo system started flashing (intermittently every 1 sec interval).
I have had the car about 3 months and have driven it weekly, I did not notice this before.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Coz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,340
Pat, the chirp you heard comes from the alarm when it gets armed. Maybe you just pressed the remote by mistake when you removed the key?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Perhaps I used the wrong word, it is not like the "nomal chirp" when activating alarm, it was like a short somewhat low sound. I don not belive that I had my hand on the remote, but a good thought. Do you all hear any "electrical sound" when reoving the key from the ignition or shutting the car off.
Thanks,
Coz

post #4 of 10 Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Pat- If you leave the car in neutral and remove the key, you will get a warning sound letting you know not to do that. Better to leave it in 1st gear. Then, before you start the car, make sure and select neutral while waiting for the Check OK indication. In theory the F1 system will select neutral for you, but there have been malfunctions, including at least one car with a low battery that jerked forward when started in 1st gear.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Terry,
That makes sense. I appreciate your knowledge!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Really, Terry? When I bought my car, I was told to always leave it in neutral (and it always made that loud warning-like sound, which they told me was normal).. maybe the guy who sold me it had no idea? So I'm *supposed* to leave it in 1st gear, and then just make sure it's in neutral before starting after Check OK? That sounds right.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

ZS- Affirmative, several dealers have told owners to use this band-aid because the owners were not selecting neutral before starting, like the owners manaul says to do. So they figured if the owners could not be trusted to select neutral first, this was one way they could solve the problem. The correct way to do it, and the safest way, is to park in gear (1st is way lower than reverse, so gear of choice) and select neutral after turning the key to on. As soon as you open the door to get into an F1 car, the F1 pump pressurizes, so no sweat selecting neutral. If neutral will not select, then you have a problem.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Pat- If you leave the car in neutral and remove the key, you will get a warning sound letting you know not to do that. Better to leave it in 1st gear. Then, before you start the car, make sure and select neutral while waiting for the Check OK indication. In theory the F1 system will select neutral for you, but there have been malfunctions, including at least one car with a low battery that jerked forward when started in 1st gear.
Taz - just seeing you say that makes me feel much better about what I thought was SOP in regards to this exact topic, and what I was also thinking may have been the cause.

My exact method for start up is:
Open Door
Let pump finish pressurizing
Key-In / On / Pull paddles to Neutral\
"Check OK"
Start car

For parking:
1st gear / ebrake up
Car off / key out
Open door

(Just to break it down to the rediculous...LOL)

So glad to have this resource!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
How about a stick? Does it matter if you park in N or 1st?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

William- Does not bother the gearbox, but the car wants to roll away if you forget the handbrake. On the three pedal cars, not much excuse for leaving her in neutral, though. If you are like me, I always put my three pedals in neutral before starting, with the clutch pedal down, to make the load as light as possible on the starter. The annular throw-out bearings on late Ferraris are constant contact, so putting her in neutral with the clutch engaged while stopped does not save the T/O bearing as much as it does on most three pedal cars.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode