360 Headliner Sagging / Falling - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Headliner Sagging / Falling

Driving my car today ... the headliner collapses around my head. Got home and examined it. Looks like the foam backing on the leather headliner has surface deterioration. I gently dry scrubbed the loose foam with a terry cloth towel and was able to clean it to a point where loose balls of foam stopped rubbing off. Vacuumed up the mess and took the vacuum to the underside of the headliner board or whatever material is up there. Cleaned up loose foam there.

So, now my dilemma. I have seen a few others having this problem and most people advised to take the headliner to an upholstery shop to replace the foam or do something in a different leather. On my headliner, the leather is in good condition and although the foam backing is not as robust as new foam, I am thinking some headliner adhesive like 3M 38808 might do the trick.

3M Headliner & Fabric Adhesive, 38808, 18.1 oz-Shop 3M

My uncertainty is that the foam is likely to continue to breakdown. But I figure worst case scenario -- if I apply adhesive and stick it back in place and if it breaks down again to the point where the headliner sags or falls, I could then remove it and do the upholstery shop thing. My thought is that using the headliner adhesive I indicated here, that I might get some more time out of it ... who knows, months / years.

Appreciate any comments of others who may have had their headliner fall away from the roof panel and if they did this kind of repair. Did it last for a while or did it rapidly continue to deteriorate and you ended up having to get an upholstery shop to redo it?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Hi Steve, first of all, never had this problem, or heard about it. If I had is problem, I would have an upholsterer fix this, assuming the costs are no issue, mainly because of safety. I wouldn't want my headliner come done on my head whilst doing 200 km per hour......Besides, I think I wouldn't be able to fix something like that and have it look like it should, but then again, maybe you could.
Good luck

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #3 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I think sagging headliner problem more common in warmer climates. I did search for this problem and found a few occurrences on ferrari cars as well as others. I am leaning toward self repair and save the $250 or so an upholstery shop would charge me.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
Hi Steve, first of all, never had this problem, or heard about it. If I had is problem, I would have an upholsterer fix this, assuming the costs are no issue, mainly because of safety. I wouldn't want my headliner come done on my head whilst doing 200 km per hour......Besides, I think I wouldn't be able to fix something like that and have it look like it should, but then again, maybe you could.
Good luck

post #4 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Every car with foam headling will eventually fail.

While it's not a difficult fix, it does take some skill to get it to look right. I say take it to an unhostery shop.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

OK, I give up.

I got some spray adhesive and tried to stick it back in place, but the foam has deteriorated too much and it pulled away again leaving patches of foam. Looks like the proper way to do this is to remove the backing board which is stuck up to the underside of the roof panel which is also pulling away as the adhesive used to glue the backing board to the roof panel is no longer adhering. Remove old adhesive and foam crap off the board. To re-use the leather itself, the foam will have to scraped off and new foam applied to the backside of the leather. Glue these two pieces together and re-install the assembly back in place.

Looks I am going to make a visit to the local upholstery shop.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
I've used some industrial strength Velcro to secure some difficult headliners in the past. The holding strength of some of these Velcros is really amazing, and it only increases as you increase the holding area. Try McMaster's for it.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #7 of 16 Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The construction of the headliner does not ( IMHO ) lend itself to that. The factory headliner consists of a cheap piece of fibre board that a cheap piece of leather bonded to a sheet of foam has been glued to. He headliner is then glued to the underside of the roof. After nearly nine years, the foam is disintegrating and the adhesive used to bond he headliner board to the roof panel has lost it's bond.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
I've used some industrial strength Velcro to secure some difficult headliners in the past. The holding strength of some of these Velcros is really amazing, and it only increases as you increase the holding area. Try McMaster's for it.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 88
I just had the same exact thing happen to me today! I was driving with my windows down and all of a sudden, I feel it hitting my head. By the time I reached up to try and tuck it back in, the whole thing fell down! I'm not happy about this, but I am bringing it in to get repaired next week.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
I had mine reupholstered in alcantara with diamond stitch. Yes, it is impossible to reuse the factory board as not only is it ridiculously heavy, it's war too disintegrated to have glue applied onto it.

So my upholsterer made up the lining and bonded it onto a lightweight sounddeadening board and up it went straight onto the metal roof. It has stayed on since and I do not hear any additional roof noise during rainy days.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
Here's mine....old photo from my thread.
Attached Images

post #11 of 16 Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Yup, once this happens it's best just to replace. That foam creates quite a mess. I had a silver metallic fabric and the upholstery shop easily replaced it with something close to identical.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430Addict View Post
Here's mine....old photo from my thread.
I did exactly the same thing too...

Let me go and grab a photo from the garage...

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
Henry Royce
post #13 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 354
Here you go... I recall it saved a few kilo's too (It still has lightweight foam backing).

Just remember to use special headliner heat proof super strong glue to avoid it failing in hot weather...
Attached Images

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
Henry Royce
post #14 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 06:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
360 Headliner

That makes 3 of us posting a headliner dropping while driving with our windows down. It was on my winter list to get replaced but fell on my wife's head so off it goes today for replacement (and yes, it makes quite a mess with the dried up foam).

We're thinking a dark charcoal alcantara with some stitching might work best. Our opinion is too dark and it will darken the interior and too light washes out the contrast. My first thought was blue with tan stitching but that was quickly shot down. Opinions welcomed....

Here's a before photo with the cheese-o-foam minus the cloth headliner;
Attached Images

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #15 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
Nice

Here are a couple of pix- the first from a TDF 360. The second from a CS. I love that look but that would translate to no contrast.
For your car a subtle lighter blue with a tan stich?

I personally have the metallic fabric which I long to replace with Black Alcantara.

ScottS
Attached Images

I have regretted often, but repented never. Is this a good thing? -Enzo Ferrari
2012 California Argento Nurburgring /Nero 2005 F430 Nero 6spd. 2009 Maserati GT-S F1
post #16 of 16 Old 08-12-2014, 04:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
I was first leaning towards blue with tan stitching but felt too much contrast to the matte black dash. We selected charcoal grey alcantara with a simple but unique stitch pattern. I'll have photos to share soon.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode