360 F1 Transmission - Occasional Difficulty Shifting from N to 1 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
F1 Transmission - Occasional Difficulty Shifting from N to 1

I am querying the community here to see if others have experienced the occasional problem that I am having ...

I have 2004 360 Modena with F1 transmission. Stock TCU / ECU. About 19,000 miles.

Occasionally, I experience situations when idling in neutral (e.g., stoplight), I flick the upshift paddle to select first gear ... and nada ... it remains in neutral. I make sure that my foot is firmly on the brake pedal. I release the brake pedal and re-apply again, flick the paddle ... sometimes that works, sometimes not. Would then try to select reverse, try first again, release / reapply the brake. Eventually, (not a long time) I am able to select first gear and off I go. Can be embarrassing when the Honda Civic behind me is blowing his horn (probably thinking what a ****** bag in his Ferrari)

I have verified that the F1 transmission reservoir is at the correct level, my clutch has been checked and there is indication on the SD2 that I have plenty of clutch left. The PIS level has been checked. My technician cannot duplicate the problem. He plugs in the SD2 and cannot see anything to indicate why this may occur. Using the SD2, he cycles through all the gears ... of course shifting just fine. I am sure he thinks I am mad. And, because this condition is only occasional, I cannot duplicate the symptoms on command.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? Does anyone have a suggestion on what I might pursue to ameliorate this? I have some concern that at some point it may become more frequent and, worse, I will be stranded somewhere with no way to get the car in gear.

Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Steve- At least one owner had a misadjusted brake light switch that gave him trouble shifting from neutral. Easy to check. Have someone look at your brake lights while you push the pedal. If you have to really stomp to get the lights to illuminate, the switch may be out of adjustment or require replacement.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Terry,

Great suggestion. I will check that out

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Steve- At least one owner had a misadjusted brake light switch that gave him trouble shifting from neutral. Easy to check. Have someone look at your brake lights while you push the pedal. If you have to really stomp to get the lights to illuminate, the switch may be out of adjustment or require replacement.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,339
and Steve while you check your stop lights, have a look also at the engine bay hatch micro switch. A random contact may make the ECU think that the hatch is open and won't let you engage any gears. When the problem happens again, try to go straight in second gear. It may be interesting to know if she would let you go in the second gear but not in the first one.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Steve-- I had the same problem with engaging first gear a while back when someone was trying to sell me his abused 360. I SIMPLY PUT IT IN 2ND GEAR AND DROVE OFF. It happened several times but I did not sweat it. The clutch engaged perfectly, no slip.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Jerry- That will wear out a clutch really quickly. Even worse than reverse starts.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks guys. I twiddled the brake pedal switch ... made sure it is working. Of course, nothing scientific, I just made sure it is free and the piston moves freely when you depress the brake pedal. I will check out the sensor on the rear deck as well. I like this approach you and Terry are suggesting as it makes sense .. i.e., infrequent occurrence of symptom and no other indication of problem. These are the kinds of gremlins that occur in simple components that are low cost and often overlooked.

Steve
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Hi Steve
I have had the same issue with my 02 f1 brought it to the dealer and of course works perfectly ... Snapped the clutch and that was showing only 23% wear .. He said it happenes some times and not to sweat it

Tim
post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Stef,

Don't think it is the engine bay cover. When cover is ajar, a warning indicator is lit on on the instrument panel. Same if door is ajar. There is no indicator in the case of the brake pedal switch. Also, when it last occurred, it would not allow 2nd or R. It is very infrequent, and if or when it next occurs I will remove the brake pedal switch and see if can be cleaned up or maybe replaced.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
and Steve while you check your stop lights, have a look also at the engine bay hatch micro switch. A random contact may make the ECU think that the hatch is open and won't let you engage any gears. When the problem happens again, try to go straight in second gear. It may be interesting to know if she would let you go in the second gear but not in the first one.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
I have a 2000 360 F1 (TCU updated to the latest spec years ago by the previous owner) and occasionally it has the following problems:

a) the car will not get into 1st gear from neutral even I am stepping really hard on the brakes. Pulling the upshift paddle frantically sometimes gets me straight into 2nd gear. Other times it just stays in neutral for a few seconds.

b) In auto mode, I am slowing down for a red light and the car automatically downshifts to 3rd or 2nd. As I am rolling, the light turns green and I step on the gas and….. nothing happens. No acceleration, rev does not pick up…… It is like stepping on a dead pedal. No warning light from the dashboard. Then after 2 or 3 seconds, the car bursts back into life and gets going again.

c) Slowing down to a standstill in auto mode, normally it would downshift all the way to 1st gear. But sometimes, it stays in 2nd while the car remains stationary. Again, no warning light.

I was told that if the clutch is up, the car would jump to N by itself, especially in slow speed. But I have never experienced this before. So I hope my clutch still has some life there.

Any idea of what went wrong, please? Any advice welcome!

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
John
post #11 of 13 Old 09-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjohnny View Post
I have a 2000 360 F1 (TCU updated to the latest spec years ago by the previous owner) and occasionally it has the following problems:

a) the car will not get into 1st gear from neutral even I am stepping really hard on the brakes. Pulling the upshift paddle frantically sometimes gets me straight into 2nd gear. Other times it just stays in neutral for a few seconds.

b) In auto mode, I am slowing down for a red light and the car automatically downshifts to 3rd or 2nd. As I am rolling, the light turns green and I step on the gas and….. nothing happens. No acceleration, rev does not pick up…… It is like stepping on a dead pedal. No warning light from the dashboard. Then after 2 or 3 seconds, the car bursts back into life and gets going again.

c) Slowing down to a standstill in auto mode, normally it would downshift all the way to 1st gear. But sometimes, it stays in 2nd while the car remains stationary. Again, no warning light.

I was told that if the clutch is up, the car would jump to N by itself, especially in slow speed. But I have never experienced this before. So I hope my clutch still has some life there.

Any idea of what went wrong, please? Any advice welcome!

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
John

Diagnosing and repairing a 360 F1 transmission without the use of an SD2 defines futile. Take it to a shop so equipped and get it fixed.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-20-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I agree ... it is one thing to change the brake light switch. It is quite another to change an F1 pump and properly set things up. Requires SD2. And knowledge.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Diagnosing and repairing a 360 F1 transmission without the use of an SD2 defines futile. Take it to a shop so equipped and get it fixed.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 104
I just wish that there was a reasonably priced SD2 clone that we could buy.

Ciao

Dino
TR, F40, Mondialt cab, 308QV, 348 Challenge, CS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode