F430 People asking to drive scud? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 166
People asking to drive scud?

What do you guys do when distant relatives ask to drive F car. Cousin in law etc. ?some of these request are from somewhat careless people.

Just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Hi Jose, I think you answered your own question. As soon as you said "careless" that clearly closed the door for me. I simply say "no" to requests from almost everyone as I don't want to single one particular individual out.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodrig688 View Post
What do you guys do when distant relatives ask to drive F car. Cousin in law etc. ?some of these request are from somewhat careless people.

Just curious
Depends on the person, but you might want to clarify that if they bend it they replace it.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
If I had one, I'd probably offer to take them for a ride. If it were someone completely trust worthy, then maybe they could take a spin behind the wheel.

But, so you don't seem mean, offer a ride and hopefully they'll forget about it.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
There is a saying - if you wouldn't do something twice don't do it once.

Assume worst case scenario - if you don't 100% mind mending what someone broke - loan her out.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
hmmmm

jose,

dont know if i could say no to the guys aleady in line for mine. my brother hell no! crashed every car in the family. i have 3-4 friends tha i would say yes to in quiet safe and known roads. for me, its better thanupsetting or hurting a good friends feelings over. my brother, he can hack my no no no no.

cheng
post #7 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 472
I always say no.

But if they ask for a ride, I almost always say yes. Just yesterday, a random highschooler in my building asked me if I could drive him to his prom, I unequivocally said sure why not.

His reaction and look on his face was priceless; testament that our cars is the stuff of dreams.

I also am a volunteer for the Road to Recovery cancer program. I do it twice a month and basically I just pick up cancer patients and take them to their treatment/therapy, keep them company and then drive them home. I get great gratification from it...my liaison helped pick folks who are car nuts and to be able to brighten their day just by giving them a ride and sharing a common passion is pretty amazing.

I encourage everyone to do it. Just a form to fill out, then a relatively easy screening process followed by a brief class tutorial and you're set to bring joy to folks in need of joy =)

Link to learn more:
Road To Recovery

post #8 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

That's what I figured. It's funny the people who want to drive it couldn't afford to pay for a mishap. I'll stick to that. If you can't pay for a bender dont put me in that situation.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
No one has ever asked to drive the Spider. Although I've offered a couple people the chance to drive it, they've turned it down.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Jose- Just say no to everybody and then no problem. There are not that many people out there competent to drive a 500 hp car that weighs 3000 lbs. Too dangerous for them and the general public.

No time to be a nice guy. Your insurance is not going to be too happy, either.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
No one has ever asked to drive the Spider. Although I've offered a couple people the chance to drive it, they've turned it down.
+1, My best friends never asked to drive my car even if they all have very good track experience. When I offered them to drive mine, they all refused. To anyone else, the answer would be no except if there is am emergency situation.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwin View Post
I always say no.

But if they ask for a ride, I almost always say yes. Just yesterday, a random highschooler in my building asked me if I could drive him to his prom, I unequivocally said sure why not.

His reaction and look on his face was priceless; testament that our cars is the stuff of dreams.

I also am a volunteer for the Road to Recovery cancer program. I do it twice a month and basically I just pick up cancer patients and take them to their treatment/therapy, keep them company and then drive them home. I get great gratification from it...my liaison helped pick folks who are car nuts and to be able to brighten their day just by giving them a ride and sharing a common passion is pretty amazing.

I encourage everyone to do it. Just a form to fill out, then a relatively easy screening process followed by a brief class tutorial and you're set to bring joy to folks in need of joy =)

Link to learn more:
Road To Recovery

Good job. Dont forget that we were in their place many years ago. Personally it took me many years just to see my first Ferrari on streets. Until almost 1990 there was no official Ferrari importer in the country due to overtaxation on luxury cars.
However let other people drive it is a different thing, you don't want to end up like this
Friend rolls my Stradale - FerrariChat.com
post #13 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
There is a saying - if you wouldn't do something twice don't do it once.

Assume worst case scenario - if you don't 100% mind mending what someone broke - loan her out.
I will bear that in mind in May!

Cars
458 coupe normale, California T, Speciale A, 458 GT3, FF Maserati Ghibli diesel!
on way in 2015: La F, and 488, 2016 488 spider
post #14 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
+1/2. My 550 has been driven by many people but quite a few have turned it down as well. I have never had anyone seriously ask me if they could drive it.

I am very relaxed about people driving my 550, just as long as I have confidence in their driving abilities. I have no problem saying no, either. Unlike Terry, I find the 550 can be driven by almost anyone safely. I sit next to them and tell them to be gentle with the throttle, and then nothing can go wrong - as long as it is dry and over 10deg C. Of course it helps that everyone drives stick in Europe.

My GTC and Boxer were/are a different story. I need a lot more confidence in people before they can drive those. But if I'm happy with your talents, then you can drive them.

The 458, finally, has not yet been driven by many. I also need a bit more confidence in your driving abilities before I hand it over. But in principle anyone can drive it.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #15 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I would never ask to drive someone's car even if it's a yugo. Even if offered I would say no. I respect other people's property. Some people out there not so much. Oh well. I'll keep it simple. Unless I really trust you it will be no. Its no coincidence the people I trust the most have never asked and when offered they still say no.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Never let anyone drive who asks. They already have the wrong mentality by being that forward.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
I give them the key...seriously I have !

But there are some friends I would not let drive the car and luckily they have not asked me yet, I will say no to them. Most of my family/friends I trust with the car, my immediate family, (wife and daughter) already have their own keys to the 360 and drive it when they want/need.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jose- Just say no to everybody and then no problem. There are not that many people out there competent to drive a 500 hp car that weighs 3000 lbs. Too dangerous for them and the general public.

No time to be a nice guy. Your insurance is not going to be too happy, either.
Absolutely right Tez! 👏
post #19 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Never let anyone drive who asks. They already have the wrong mentality by being that forward.
Exactly, I have given many rides, but NO ONE has ever asked to drive. I let a friend drive 360 Spider, another the Performante, last one the SV.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #20 of 21 Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 84
I always tell people that my insurance policy will cover any driver but me, if anything goes wrong I will be in a very bad shape.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode