F430 Panic amuck on quote "tanking scud prices" - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-09-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 472
Panic amuck on quote "tanking scud prices"

A widespread "panic" seems to have broken loose over on fchat, partially instigated by claims of CS prices dropping somewhat and the real zinger came when an owner trying to sell his 09, 10ish k miles Rosso Corsa Scuderia got quoted 155.5k as a trade-in valuation. Said owner has then gone on to spread the panic through his thread aptly titled "Scud prices tanking" and in the CS market thread getting everyone's panties in a twist.

Now with Scud prices "allegedly" dipping under most CS prices the hypothesis is there's going to be a fire sale and our cars are going to be worth garbage.

Thoughts? I guess by me asking I am in part help spreading the panic but in all honesty I didn't even flinch when I read all that, just found it interesting and curious to hear what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
I posted on this topic a couple months ago.

I know the Scud is a better car but I think I'd rather have a CS.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...ue-360-cs.html
post #3 of 24 Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Wholesale to retail is 12 - 20% and the dealer spends a fair amount to bring the car to market.

I don't get the Stradale / Scud competition on pricing - guess that's what happens when you are 100 hp shy

post #4 of 24 Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I had a CS in parallel to my Scuderia for a few months, I went for my scuderia keys 9 out of 10 times so I made the then logical choice of selling the CS.

If I had known CS prices would be squeezed up to 160s-170s I would have not been so hasty. I miss the Tubi sound on my CS but other than that, the Scuderia gives me the same ear to ear grin and substantially more unf. I do like the CS' curves just a hair better than the Scuderia but I'm over it now, was itching to get back into a CS but I've changed my mind...

Going to save my pennies to put towards the 458 Monte.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 700
These things go in cycles, in the UK prices are holding up with only 4 Scuds for sale on PH's and adverts from main dealers asking to buy. In contrast there are over 70 458's for sale on the same site. Long term values of each? Only one answer.
As to how any Scuds were made, 1650-1800 tops. 1288 CS's.

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
On this side of the pond, Scud prices are holding very nicely.

Also one sale or quote hardly makes a market.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
Seriously, who expects to get market price on a trade-in? There is always going to be a "convenience fee" represented by a discount off of the market price. If the convenience fee is too steep for you, sell it outright. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
My thoughts exactly, glad to read that not everyone's drinking the koolade.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
One dealer offer doesn't make a market. I don't think the sky is falling on a great machine (and it's way fun to drive).

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
On this side of the pond, Scud prices are holding very nicely.

I think Scuds will eventually nestle into the area of 110-120K. 12c's are also holding up quite nicely I thought for all the bashing they got early on.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #11 of 24 Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karakal View Post
I think Scuds will eventually nestle into the area of 110-120K. 12c's are also holding up quite nicely I thought for all the bashing they got early on.
funny how very different things are on either side of the pond...the MP4s here are not holding up very well, there were a few that sold in my area for 180-190s, 2011s with under 3k and 1k miles respectively.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
i'm no expert but...

After my short time of look at scud prices in comparison to the regular F430 prices, i have been quite amazed to see the retail prices come down to easily 175-180K. I've posted a couple of higher miles 27K-39K miles here and those were from $149K-139K resp. therefore, i don't think its unsual at all that the dealer is offering the person on Fchat 155K. i've been told that the dealer will spend about 10K to prep the cars for sale. With the current mkt trend, the dealer will sell for 179 to 185 and make less than 10%. not a good margin in my opinion. i guess now i know why they won't move on some of the cars i've been looking at...oh well...not sure if i contributed but since i'm in the buyers segment here, i'm rootin for lower prices...once i buy, then they can go up...
post #13 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
once i buy, then they can go up...
NO NO NO!!!!
...once I buy, then they can go up!!!

Just kidding - but in all seriousness...
These cars will continue to depreciate, whether they are scuds or standard F430's, for at least a few more years. Think of how long it took for 360 prices to go flat - roughly 10-12 years, right? CS cars maybe a little bit sooner than that...
I see no real reason why the F430 should be THAT different from the 360 - it will settle / go flat at a normally higher dollar value than the 360's are settled. If the 360 is any indication, then we've probably got 3-4 more years of "depreciation" on F430 cars. Perhaps the scuds are just getting the drop out of the way now, and they'll settle in the next 2-3 years.
Who knows - my crystal ball is broken anyway...
post #14 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Owner

The Scud was a 300k car and the Stradale a 220k car.

The amount of CF on the Scuds alone are worth 60k more then add 80 hp.

IMO - the Scuds are now based on the individual car and the most if not all of the depreciation is gone especially when the replacement comes out at 350k.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post

IMO - the Scuds are now based on the individual car and the most if not all of the depreciation is gone especially when the replacement comes out at 350k.

Scud will fall further, Doug, no doubt. I'm willing to short(with a 4 year contract)

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #16 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Scud will fall further, Doug, no doubt. I'm willing to short(with a 4 year contract)
Yes they will drop further but the cost per mile is over.

The 20.00 - 30.00 per mile is now 2 - 3.00 dollars per mile.

So yes - 3 - 5,000 miles per year will cost the owner 6 - 10k ... they are a steal
unless you drive under 1000 miles per year and own a feather duster
post #17 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
Hey, Hey, They're known as California Dusters (and with good reason)
Though owning one does not preclude driving

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:

The CS has a bigger cult following I guess and ppl who get a CS are not interested in the numbers/performance. Even I who came from a CS had an itch to get another one not too long ago...albeit I know how sluggish it feels in contrast to my Scuderia etc.

But there's definitely something alluring about the CS' light steering and sharp response coupled w that noise that are unique and brilliantly so.

When I did have it in parallel with the scud though, I hardly drove it...complacency?
post #19 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwin View Post
The CS has a bigger cult following I guess and ppl who get a CS are not interested in the numbers/performance. Even I who came from a CS had an itch to get another one not too long ago...albeit I know how sluggish it feels in contrast to my Scuderia etc.

But there's definitely something alluring about the CS' light steering and sharp response coupled w that noise that are unique and brilliantly so.

When I did have it in parallel with the scud though, I hardly drove it...complacency?
Dan ... ok ok California Feather Dusters

Alwin - I don't think there is a bigger following inasmuch as the owners are watching their nickels a lot closer and use the code word purist in order to justify why they won't drive them and or track them best of all whether or not the Stradale has a factory stripe or not

The Stradale is no doubt a cool car but it's got a 10 year old F1 system that IMO defines it and why you chose the Scud over the old technology.
post #20 of 24 Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Alwin - I don't think there is a bigger following inasmuch as the owners are watching their nickels a lot closer and use the code word purist in order to justify why they won't drive them and or track them best of all whether or not the Stradale has a factory stripe or not

The Stradale is no doubt a cool car but it's got a 10 year old F1 system that IMO defines it and why you chose the Scud over the old technology.
Well, for me it isn't so much about the actual technology / how fast can it really go that draws me to either Scuderia or CS...it's the actual visceral exchange or I guess, the "illusion" of how fast I am going that the technology provides.

There will always be something faster, more efficient, more comfortable & more reliable but none of that matters to me if the fun factor isn't there!

I feel like Schumacher whenever I get into either cars...driving like one is a whole other story and either car is too much car for me if I am being brutally honest.

I am also fully aware there are Ferrari drivers and Ferrari collectors, of which none of the above mentioned matters. That might also be why a lot of folks are snapping up CS' and pushing those prices upwards into Scuderia territory? They just want to collect trinkets and display them at home?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode